Is Savarese (green book) enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samsamani

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering if doing the Savarese book by itself is enough for the NEW COMLEX. I have my ppts from class (last 2 years) as well, which seems to have more details than Savarese. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Tough question to answer because everybody learns and memorizes information differently. My 2 cents is it's not nearly enough. You can survey the internet and find all these threads about "all you need is the green book" but tbh those threads are talking about the old test, back in the 2000s-early/mid 2010's, before the question styles were changed and new information came out. I know that OMM doesn't change too much, but the way the questions are written certainly does. I tried using only the green book on my Level I and hated how uncomfortable I felt on exam day. It's not first line questions anymore, you kind of need to understand principles and apply that knowledge to a scenario you may have never seen before.

I recommend either (a) supplementing Savarese with OMG OMT / your other resource of choice, or (b) just abandoning the book altogether and sticking to the NBOME practice questions with whatever medium you learn best from (videos vs. q-banks).

At the end of the day, half the battle with boards studying is being able to exploit however you learn best and feeling comfortable with your choice of resources. So as much as I wish I could help, you gotta look inward :) If that's reading textbooks, then sure use the green book. If that's videos or practice questions, then I don't really see why you'd use a textbook to study.

Tough question to answer because everybody learns and memorizes information differently. My 2 cents is it's not nearly enough. You can survey the internet and find all these threads about "all you need is the green book" but tbh those threads are talking about the old test, back in the 2000s-early/mid 2010's, before the question styles were changed and new information came out. I know that OMM doesn't change too much, but the way the questions are written certainly does. I tried using only the green book on my Level I and hated how uncomfortable I felt on exam day. It's not first line questions anymore, you kind of need to understand principles and apply that knowledge to a scenario you may have never seen before.

I recommend either (a) supplementing Savarese with OMG OMT / your other resource of choice, or (b) just abandoning the book altogether and sticking to the NBOME practice questions with whatever medium you learn best from (videos vs. q-banks).

At the end of the day, half the battle with boards studying is being able to exploit however you learn best and feeling comfortable with your choice of resources. So as much as I wish I could help, you gotta look inward :) If that's reading textbooks, then sure use the green book. If that's videos or practice questions, then I don't really see why you'd use a textbook to study.
I'm finding supplementing the green book w/ the OMTreview qbank you get with the book to be really helpful with my last 4 days before COMLEX of figuring out how OMM works when asked about it in the weird ways it will inevitably appear on COMLEX (I'm not affiliated w/ OMTreview in any way)

There are a few good youtube videos that give you good tips/drawings to memorize viscerosomatic reflex and chapman points too. These are a large portion of what you see on the comlex, so its worthwhile to have them down.

I practiced drawing these and drew them during the mandatory intro section of the comlex, it was a timing life-saver...when question came up- I just looked at my drawing, answered quickly and moved on.

Reactions: 2 users