Rochester vs Einstein vs UMASS PURCH (OOS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uggabugga88

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nontraditional student (not married, no kids, boyfriend in Milwaukee), from CT, MA for college, been living in Chicago for the last five years.

Incredibly lucky to have options, but now incredibly stuck on a final decision, mainly because UMASS still hasn’t given me final financial aid numbers. Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

Rochester

Pros
  • $35,000 need- and merit-based scholarships – would take half as much in loans as at the other schools
  • Low cost of living
  • Not a real pro, but I don’t mind the smaller town, lake effect, etc.
  • Good fit – love the psychosocial emphasis, fits well with my humanities background (I was a theatre major)

Cons
  • Six-hour drive from anyone I care about
  • Difficult and expensive to fly in and out of for long-distance relationship (assuming that lasts. I’m well aware of the stats)
  • Snow – what happens when I have a tiny, precious amount of time off and snow gets dumped all over my travel plans?
  • A lot of people match back at Rochester and not so many back in the NY/CT/MA region where I would like to end up, but I probably could match anywhere

Einstein

Pros
  • General feeling that this would be the best career choice - good primary care opportunities working with an amazing population in the Bronx, but no limitations on specialty
  • Location. Location. Location. 50 minute drive to my parents (without traffic), acceptable distance from Boston where my sister is
  • Subsidized housing, so cost of living in NY doesn’t hit so hard
  • More residency placements in the NY/Boston region

Cons
  • Cost – loans only
  • New York/Bronx – the Bronx isn’t close to much for all that I’ll be paying NYC prices
  • Living in tiny apartments with med students who are probably 5-7 years younger than I am. I think it would probably be fine, but, yeah, I’m not jumping for joy about it.

UMASS – PURCH program

Pros
  • Love the location – close to family, friends, and I know the area and would love to serve the patients there
  • Liked the feel and structure of the PURCH program
  • Low cost of living in Worcester and Springfield, but close to Boston and even NYC.

Cons
  • Out of State, so tuition is insane – hoping a final call on Monday will result in some sort of financial aid package, but they are cutting it so close.
  • Limited specialization options when I’m not 100% committed to primary care?
  • Students seemed a little younger/less mature when I interviewed

I ran the numbers through the AAMC loan calculator and the amount of debt I could end up with from Einstein or UMASS is just scary, but the thought of being six hours from everything in Rochester is hard. I feel like I’m probably ending my relationship and putting a lot of strain on family and friend relationships. UMASS would check all the boxes but OOS tuition is stupid (Although I guess only ~$10,000 more than Einstein, with lower cost of living). As you can see, I talk myself in circles and change hour to hour.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would say go Einstein for your goals the diversity of NYC will serve you best. Additionally, by being in NYC you'll have more chances to work with many elite medical schools in the area

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
OP which school did you end up choosing? I’m currently WLed at a few of the schools you were accepted at, would love to know! @uggabugga88

I’m going to Rochester. UMASS didn’t give me any money and then I agonized over the choice between Rochester and Einstein, but I decided to go with the money since they are equally good schools. I spoke to an MD about my choice, and she said all three are awesome and that I would make it to residency from any of them, so I hope you hear from the ones you’re waitlisted at. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
I’m going to Rochester. UMASS didn’t give me any money and then I agonized over the choice between Rochester and Einstein, but I decided to go with the money since they are equally good schools. I spoke to an MD about my choice, and she said all three are awesome and that I would make it to residency from any of them, so I hope you hear from the ones you’re waitlisted at. Good luck!
Awesome choice! Didn't give my input earlier but I would easily choose Rochester given those options. See you in the summer!

Reactions: 2 users
Totally agree with @GonnaB3MDm8! Both Rochester and Einstein are amazing (I interviewed at both), so you can’t go wrong. And thank you!! Best of luck to you too :)

Reactions: 1 user