Rock climbing for orthopods?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benbk

Cliente registrado
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can / do orthopaedic surgeons rock climb? Do they require pristine, baby soft hands to perform delicate operations? I love rock climbing, but occasionally develop joint stiffness (early signs of osteoarthritis?) and have sprained a finger here and there. Still, it strengthens my hands and gives me better dexterity than anything else. Is this something I should continue doing? Any other crimping orthopods out there? Or is this too grave a risk for myself and my future patients?

I know the obvious answer is "you won't have time for this". I don't need to hear this, as I'm sure I'll have a free weekend somewhere down the line, if only in 10 years. I'm an MS 0, attending this fall.

Members don't see this ad.

benbk said:
Can / do orthopaedic surgeons rock climb? Do they require pristine, baby soft hands to perform delicate operations?
Have you ever SEEN an orthopaedic procedure? :laugh:

doing things like rock climbing presents a serious risk of injury. and that could keep you out of the OR for months.

and while many ortho procedures are about brute force, hand surgery is very delicate.

Members don't see this ad :)
So does this mean most orthopods, and surgeons in general, don't do anything risky? No skiing, rock climbing, or anything like that? WHat do you people do for fun? I don't think I could give up all the outdoor activities I enjoy.

doc05 said:
doing things like rock climbing presents a serious risk of injury. and that could keep you out of the OR for months.

and while many ortho procedures are about brute force, hand surgery is very delicate.

This is what I had in mind, but I'm sure a broken finger would affect an orthopod's ability to set a fracture as well.

So, are you deterred from any kind of manual labor, as it may mean the end of a career? I assume the personality that goes into orthopaedics would also enjoy, say, changing car oil, bike repair, or other do-it-yourself kind of hobbies.

Perhaps I'm wrong, and surgeons always wear oven mitts like a George Costanza hand model would. Is there then a danger of falling in love with one's own hands?

While I don't know specifically of any orthopods who rock climb, I know of several general surgeons who do. I do (in fact, I didn't even start learning until AFTER I started residency. I'm not very good, but I still have fun). Also I started skiing again after I started residency (and many of my fellow residents and our attendings do as well). The only hand injury I''ve seen any resident sustain was a kitchen accident (from cutting food with a knife and it slipped)

In fact, I have found that surgeons participate in active (even "extreme") sports more than MD's in any other specialty. I know a number of surgeons who are triathletes, and who participate in ultramarathons. The first surgeon I met who is a rock climber is not only a very avid climber but also does ultramarathons and skis, and did all this before the 80 hour rule went into effect.

I have found time and money to be bigger limiting factors than the possibility of injury. You have to set your finiancial priorites, and be willing to do stuff like have your car packed ready to leave at the end of a long day the day before your day off.

Just be smart and take the normal safety precautions. And remenber a head injury can be career ending. Hand injuries are merely inconvienent in comparison.

I cant believe you asked this question. There WAS no such thing as a stupid question, but I think now there is.....hahaha....jk. :laugh:

Do what you enjoy within reason...i mean continue rock climbing but you might not want to attempt to climb Mt. Denali with a lined up O.R. schedule next week.

What's the point of living if you're not going to live.

cali7925 said:
I cant believe you asked this question. There WAS no such thing as a stupid question, but I think now there is.....hahaha....jk. :laugh:
I was thinking the exact same thing. And doc05's response :rolleyes: ...people ask the weirdest things.