Rocky Vista University (RVUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

Started by DOthreads
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Katy from admissions told me yesterday that they will begin reviewing files either next week, or the week after. Let's hope some IIs can trickle out after that.
Interview invitations will start going out late next week (check your portal). Interviews will start September 9th. Good luck!
 
Did anyone else leave the last question on the secondary blank? I thought I was pretty thorough throughout the other questions so I didn't have anything to put
 
Where on the portal do you check?
If it is there, it says on the tabs under the applicant tab "interview scheduling" It also has a message to the right of your applicant status offering congratulations for getting an interview.
 
II! but what is thee interview format? group? 1 on 1? and how long? I just dont know any details lol.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II here! Excited to see some mountains., and trying to figure out a date that works for me. Also, any current students who are trolling around, do you know of any good way to get from the Denver airport to the school for the interview? Seems like a lot of the shuttles have a small radius around the airport. Wondering if I should contact student services or something. Thanks!!
 
II! but what is thee interview format? group? 1 on 1? and how long? I just dont know any details lol.
This past year it was just a very conversational interview with 2 faculty members. It was low stress, and then the rest of the afternoon was just a tour, etc etc. Congrats to all of you!
 
Hey guys. Woke up this morning to an II! Scheduling it for the third week of September. I'm OOS but I really like RVU's global medicine program and focus on military medicine!

Good luck to everyone!

3.2/3.3./3.5 30 OOS Good EC
 
Last edited:
II here! Excited to see some mountains., and trying to figure out a date that works for me. Also, any current students who are trolling around, do you know of any good way to get from the Denver airport to the school for the interview? Seems like a lot of the shuttles have a small radius around the airport. Wondering if I should contact student services or something. Thanks!!
hey not a current student but I was looking at the hotels that they listed under the "getting here" tab on the interview information page and Im going to be picking a hotel that has both shuttle service to and from the airport but also to and from the interview.
 
I am staying at the Hampton Inn for the 9/9 day and will have a rental car if anybody needed or wanted a ride to campus in the morning.
 
As a Denver native the best option is to get either a rental car or use the free shuttles from the hotels. The taxis in Denver are crazy expensive, a world news report said that Denver was one of the most expensive places to get a taxi. There are lots of hotels in the area but all are ten to twenty plus minutes drive away. The cheapest option is to use the student hosts, and they will give you pointers as well.
 
Last edited:
Red Lion has a shuttle that will pick you up from the airport, bring you to school for the interview, pick you up from school, and bring you back to the airport.

Also, I'm a student host and I have a guest room if anyone is in need. I also have a ton of extra room if more than one person needed to stay...
 
Interviewing here soon! Does anyone know what the MD and DO residency match rate is for the school? And their comlex/usmle pass rates? How is their faculty? Thanks!
 
II via the portal! So pumped to visit the school!

I know the drill...lol
<30 MCAT, 3.65 gpa, IS, non-URM, and completed 7/21
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rejected via portal :/ 3.45gpa, 3.89 grad GPA, 26 MCAT.
Congrats to everyone who has received interviews and good luck!!
 
Does anyone know what to do if your D.O. letter of recommendation is part of your pre-health committee packet? I had to list them separately on the secondary application and I am nervous they will not process my app because they will only be receiving my committee letter through interfolio not a separate letter from a D.O.....any thoughts?
 
Does anyone know what to do if your D.O. letter of recommendation is part of your pre-health committee packet? I had to list them separately on the secondary application and I am nervous they will not process my app because they will only be receiving my committee letter through interfolio not a separate letter from a D.O.....any thoughts?

I also have a committee packet that includes the committee and DO letters. I listed them as separate, and they were uploaded to Virutal Evals together as a packet. My file shows that both have been received.
 
Rejected via portal :/ 3.45gpa, 3.89 grad GPA, 26 MCAT.
Congrats to everyone who has received interviews and good luck!!

Did your portal say "Your current status indicates you are no longer a prospective student?" I did not receive any further communication, but it appears I'm rejected as well.
 
Does anyone know what to do if your D.O. letter of recommendation is part of your pre-health committee packet? I had to list them separately on the secondary application and I am nervous they will not process my app because they will only be receiving my committee letter through interfolio not a separate letter from a D.O.....any thoughts?

As long as your D.O. letter is included as part of your pre-health committee packet, you are fine. In some cases comments from a physician are included within the committee letter, that is fine too. The admissions staff reads all letters and will confirm that the required components are included.
 
Did your portal say "Your current status indicates you are no longer a prospective student?" I did not receive any further communication, but it appears I'm rejected as well.

Under the "admissions" tab, this message appears:
" Thank you for your application to RVUCOM. We regret that due to the competitive nature of the applicant pool, we are not able to extend an interview offer to you this year. We hope that you find a school that is a great fit for you as you continue to pursue your goal of becoming a physician."

I never received email communication, either. :/ Best of luck!!
 
Under the "admissions" tab, this message appears:
" Thank you for your application to RVUCOM. We regret that due to the competitive nature of the applicant pool, we are not able to extend an interview offer to you this year. We hope that you find a school that is a great fit for you as you continue to pursue your goal of becoming a physician."

I never received email communication, either. :/ Best of luck!!
Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but are you talking about the application tab? Sorry about the rejection, I am sure you will have luck during your other interviews!
EDIT: Sorry, under applicant is the admissions portel...duh!
 
Does anyone know how multiple MCAT scores are viewed at this school? My first MCAT was a 23 and my second was a 26. My composite would be 29 (PS: 10 V: 10 BS: 9).

From the 2015 Osteopathic Medical CIB: "In the event of multiple scores, the highest composite score will be considered, provided no individual scores are below a 6".

From http://www.rockyvistauniversity.org/PDFs/RVU_Catalog_Handbook_2014-2015.pdf: "RVUCOM does not combine the highest scores in each section from multiple exams"

So anyone know for sure which is true? I'm on the fence deciding if I should apply here or not :/
 
Does anyone know how multiple MCAT scores are viewed at this school? My first MCAT was a 23 and my second was a 26. My composite would be 29 (PS: 10 V: 10 BS: 9).

From the 2015 Osteopathic Medical CIB: "In the event of multiple scores, the highest composite score will be considered, provided no individual scores are below a 6".

From http://www.rockyvistauniversity.org/PDFs/RVU_Catalog_Handbook_2014-2015.pdf: "RVUCOM does not combine the highest scores in each section from multiple exams"

So anyone know for sure which is true? I'm on the fence deciding if I should apply here or not :/

I don't know for certain, but it kind of sounds like they will take the highest total MCAT score
 
Yup. No composites of multiple tests. But they look at the highest one.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
complete 8/7. strong ties to CO. i was interested enough to apply, but the for profit thing gave me the heeby jeebies. it is a good school tho so good luck everyone else!
 
Rejected as well....was really looking forward to this school. That sucks...time to stop watching this thread and move on