-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Rocky Vista University (RVUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015
Started by DOthreads
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I don't believe there are shareholders. I believe it is privately held, not publicly traded, and therefore no shareholders, only Dr. Tien... Dr. Tien put up somewhere in the ballpark of 30mil to fund student loans before the school was given federal financial aid, and did so for students pretty much regardless of their credit history. As far as I have seen there hasn't been an issue with the for-profit status...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II just now!![]()
Same here! Scheduled November 4th.
Congrats! When were you marked complete?Same here! Scheduled November 4th.
Complete 8/27. Scheduled for 11/10. OOSCongrats! When were you marked complete?
September 2nd.Congrats! When were you marked complete?
Hey I had an interview at RVUCOM earlier this month.
I heard I'd have a call soon if accepted, but I'm not sure when that should be. Originally I believe I should have heard this week, but did not. I saw others not receiving a phone call years previously, but eventually got one.
MyVista has changed. the application tab no longer being available. It's given me a ton of new boxes and links, as well as access to the MyVista forums.
I don't want to get my hopes up that this means something significant.
If anyone is able to help me decipher why the site changed, I would appreciate it. (Also, no e-mails or letters in the mail so far as well)
I heard I'd have a call soon if accepted, but I'm not sure when that should be. Originally I believe I should have heard this week, but did not. I saw others not receiving a phone call years previously, but eventually got one.
MyVista has changed. the application tab no longer being available. It's given me a ton of new boxes and links, as well as access to the MyVista forums.
I don't want to get my hopes up that this means something significant.
If anyone is able to help me decipher why the site changed, I would appreciate it. (Also, no e-mails or letters in the mail so far as well)
Hey I had an interview at RVUCOM earlier this month.
I heard I'd have a call soon if accepted, but I'm not sure when that should be. Originally I believe I should have heard this week, but did not. I saw others not receiving a phone call years previously, but eventually got one.
MyVista has changed. the application tab no longer being available. It's given me a ton of new boxes and links, as well as access to the MyVista forums.
I don't want to get my hopes up that this means something significant.
If anyone is able to help me decipher why the site changed, I would appreciate it. (Also, no e-mails or letters in the mail so far as well)
What day did you interview? There will also be a new "Accepted" tab in your MyVista portal should you be offered acceptance. Also, your status in the portal will change to "Accepted."
Hey I had an interview at RVUCOM earlier this month.
I heard I'd have a call soon if accepted, but I'm not sure when that should be. Originally I believe I should have heard this week, but did not. I saw others not receiving a phone call years previously, but eventually got one.
MyVista has changed. the application tab no longer being available. It's given me a ton of new boxes and links, as well as access to the MyVista forums.
I don't want to get my hopes up that this means something significant.
If anyone is able to help me decipher why the site changed, I would appreciate it. (Also, no e-mails or letters in the mail so far as well)
If it's any consolation, if you CAN log in, you're probably doing okay, because if you're rejected, you can usually not log into the site any more...
Got and submitted my secondary today. Hope I'm not too far behind in the game.
OOS 3.6cGPA/24 (retaking)
expressed my interest in rural medicine and believe I made a pretty good story for my interest in DO
for those with II, how long after you submitted your secondary did you receive your II?
OOS 3.6cGPA/24 (retaking)
expressed my interest in rural medicine and believe I made a pretty good story for my interest in DO
for those with II, how long after you submitted your secondary did you receive your II?
I was placed on the interview wait list, does anyone have an idea of when I could be hearing back for the decision or an II?
Sometime before the last interview, which is April ish.I was placed on the interview wait list, does anyone have an idea of when I could be hearing back for the decision or an II?
I was placed on the interview wait list, does anyone have an idea of when I could be hearing back for the decision or an II?
^yup. that's what i tell people when they ask when i could find out if i got in anywhere. i told them most decisions get made in winter but if i get wait listed, i could hear the day before classes start.Sometime before the last interview, which is April ish.
it sucks. if anything, you could potentially call the admissions office, ask if there was anything that you could work on while waiting to hear back on the wait list. would show initiative and i don't think it would look desperate or anything as long as you word it properly, sound confident, etc.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Because they interview such a small number of individuals(and accept a large percent 70%ish) they are really just making sure you are as good of a fit in person as you seem on paper. I know people say it over and over again but at rocky vista it really rings true, just be yourself. The interview was super relaxed, be prepared to talk about the regular stuff (why med, why DO, why rock vista etc etc) but about coping skills, hobbies, things outside of school/medicine that will keep you sane. And as always have a couple of questions for your interviewers.Interviewing soon! Any advice?! Please share =)
Thank you so much! Really appreciate your feedback. Best of luck to you =)Because they interview such a small number of individuals(and accept a large percent 70%ish) they are really just making sure you are as good of a fit in person as you seem on paper. I know people say it over and over again but at rocky vista it really rings true, just be yourself. The interview was super relaxed, be prepared to talk about the regular stuff (why med, why DO, why rock vista etc etc) but about coping skills, hobbies, things outside of school/medicine that will keep you sane. And as always have a couple of questions for your interviewers.
Just got the denial email. Dang...really liked the idea of RVU. I think my non-science background probably killed me here.
sorry to hear that noleknightJust got the denial email. Dang...really liked the idea of RVU. I think my non-science background probably killed me here.
Interviewing here tomorrow morning! If anyone would want to split a cab to the airport after the interview day ends at 2 pm, let me know!
First pre interview rejection, bummed because I was on an interview invite hot streak. 30, 3.3,
Just got interview! OOS GPA: 3.4 MCAT:36
I am very very excited to get the interview. But I am wondering about how recent graduates of RVU have done in residency match. For instance, if I wanted to obtain a MD residency program in psychiatry (in states like California and Colorado), would a strong performance in the program and COMLEX/USMLE give me a good shot?
I am very very excited to get the interview. But I am wondering about how recent graduates of RVU have done in residency match. For instance, if I wanted to obtain a MD residency program in psychiatry (in states like California and Colorado), would a strong performance in the program and COMLEX/USMLE give me a good shot?
Pretty sure that people scramble into Psych, so you should be fine... It's not even remotely competitive
How many science classes?Hey all, just submitted my secondary last night. 3.6 gpa, international service missions, mcat 26, thoughts on my chances?
All the necessaries plus biochem, anatomy, physiology and cell bio. did well in all of themHow many science classes?
I'd say you have an average chance, if your science GPA is higher, you'll have a good chance
Waiting for my flight to Denver! I imagine I'll see a few of you tomorrow at interview day.
What we did all day yesterday. FYI for those of you considering attending/interviewing. 🙂
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/10/...-from-active-shooter-drill-in-douglas-county/
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2014/10/...-from-active-shooter-drill-in-douglas-county/
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was placed on the interview wait list, does anyone have an idea of when I could be hearing back for the decision or an II?
The interview wait list is different from the alternate list. Very few people are placed on the interview wait list as admissions will only place candidates on a wait list status if they are waiting for additional information which could make a difference in whether or not they would be invited in for an interview. Typically this includes waiting for an updated MCAT or for the receipt of fall grades. As soon as the information is received, your file will be reviewed again for an interview decision. Best of luck to you in the process!
For those who have had interviews and will have interviews soon, where do you stay? Just called the Red lion Hotel, and was told that it's closed? Also, any suggestion for me since I don't have a car and don't want to rent a car?
weird! thats where i stayed but its practically in the same building as the radisson so maybe try calling them. the shuttle service was combined for red lion and radisson
Yeah we have a deal with 24 hour fitness. It's like $25/mo I think. Also, we have given feedback that they really should add some facilities, and that has been met with cautious optimism. Maybe not for my class, but hopefully in the near future.Questions for any RVU students....
I noticed the school does not have its own workout/gym facility. Does the school have any discount programs set up with local gyms?
Thanks!
Pretty sure the Red Lion didn't close,
this is their direct number, 303-695-1700 not sure if that's the number you called
this is their direct number, 303-695-1700 not sure if that's the number you called
Just got the acceptance call!!!! Sooo excited! I interviewed 10/7 for anyone interested
Congrats. See you next year if you end up matriculating.
Submitted secondary today! I know it's a little late compared most of the people on this forum but I'm hopeful considering my grades, ECs and etc. Congrats to those that have been accepted already!
Got the call early this AM, accepted! After what seemed like an enternity trying to get to this point, it was great to get that phone call. Didn't get into my state MD school, but I am really amped on going here next year.
Those that are curious. Interviewed 10/10. ~3.4 gpa and 26 MCAT. Strong LORs and experience otherwise. Had a great feel with the other students and overall Colorado living. Coming from Minneapolis so hoping for maybe slightly warmer winters?? Anyways, good luck everyone else, I'm checking out and going to take a break from being so neurotic!
Those that are curious. Interviewed 10/10. ~3.4 gpa and 26 MCAT. Strong LORs and experience otherwise. Had a great feel with the other students and overall Colorado living. Coming from Minneapolis so hoping for maybe slightly warmer winters?? Anyways, good luck everyone else, I'm checking out and going to take a break from being so neurotic!
WOOT! MN is the best! I worked in Minneapolis for almost 15 years! Anyway, yes winters are warmer in Denver...
Sent me secondary in here a few weeks ago. OOS applicant, 3.9 overall GPA/3.85 science, 27 MCAT. I had a friend with about my same stats who received an II a week after sending in her secondary. I have 200 hours of shadowing but only 10 with a D.O. and my LOR's were from M.D.'s I shadowed. I'm afraid admissions committees think I'm not interested in D.O. medicine because of my shadowing hours since my friend had only shadowed D.O.'s and got an II right away. Any thoughts?
Acceptance call about 3:00 MST this afternoon! Super quick turnaround since I interviewed Thursday of last week.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sent me secondary in here a few weeks ago. OOS applicant, 3.9 overall GPA/3.85 science, 27 MCAT. I had a friend with about my same stats who received an II a week after sending in her secondary. I have 200 hours of shadowing but only 10 with a D.O. and my LOR's were from M.D.'s I shadowed. I'm afraid admissions committees think I'm not interested in D.O. medicine because of my shadowing hours since my friend had only shadowed D.O.'s and got an II right away. Any thoughts?
Send in a secondary!!! I would not worry about the shadowing a D.O. as much as a MD physician. The critical thing to convey is that you like D.O. medicine more then Allopathic medicine and why. The shadowing only shows your commitment to learning about the profession in general. If it is brought up in your interview (which it won't at RVU- more interested in the type of shadowing you performed) then I would just convey that there was not a lot of opportunities for you to shadow as much as you would of liked. The critical thing is the ability to convey why you want to go to osteopathic medical school and again why.
I did send it in about a week and a half ago!! Thank you! That makes me feel a little bit better. I just haven't heard from any D.O. school yet since sending my secondaries and I'm just scared it's because they think I'm not interested in D.O. as opposed to M.D..... just pre-med stress getting to me. Thank you though!Send in a secondary!!! I would not worry about the shadowing a D.O. as much as a MD physician. The critical thing to convey is that you like D.O. medicine more then Allopathic medicine and why. The shadowing only shows your commitment to learning about the profession in general. If it is brought up in your interview (which it won't at RVU- more interested in the type of shadowing you performed) then I would just convey that there was not a lot of opportunities for you to shadow as much as you would of liked. The critical thing is the ability to convey why you want to go to osteopathic medical school and again why.
The interview wait list is different from the alternate list. Very few people are placed on the interview wait list as admissions will only place candidates on a wait list status if they are waiting for additional information which could make a difference in whether or not they would be invited in for an interview. Typically this includes waiting for an updated MCAT or for the receipt of fall grades. As soon as the information is received, your file will be reviewed again for an interview decision. Best of luck to you in the process!
Really? That's weird because I was placed on the interview wait list and all of my supplemental information and scores have been received.
Thanks for the reply by the way!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 129
- Views
- 31K
- Replies
- 122
- Views
- 27K
- Replies
- 228
- Views
- 47K
- Replies
- 150
- Views
- 35K
- Replies
- 339
- Views
- 73K
