rolling admissions question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blobs

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys,

i had a few questions regarding the timing aspect of applying to optometry schools

My stats:

major: biochem
schoo: ucsd
GPA:3.57
Science: 3.75
OAT: havent taken, took a fake one and im getting around 380, so lets say i get a 360 on the real one
Extrcurriculars: Massive research experience working at all sorts of places, hospital volunteering. 5 jobs.
Optometry specific: just some general hospital work, no optometry shadowing

My issue right now is that i decided to bite the bullet and go for optometry right now, previously i was gonna go to grad school (hence the research), and I just registeresd for the OAT this afternoon. I've got a prof and an employer to recommend me, but i haven't shadowed yet...

First: How long until I can take the OAT? Im personally ready to go at any time, but the registration website is really ambiguous about how long from register -> take.

Second: If, tomorrow, i go out and hit up three or four optometry places and ask for "free labor/shadowing" positions, is about a month good enough for gaining the experience? I actually do have a good idea of what optometry is like due to a family friend being one, and he also did ortho K on me and i was there alot, but he's 800 miles away right now and I need someone to write a letter NOW.

Third: Im estimating in about 8 weeks I can have all my stuff ready to go (OATs taken, all rec letters written, transcripts done, essays written, etc etc). That will put me at around Late october/Early November for application completion. At this point, will have have a serious disadvantage due to the rolling admit system? I think my grades and non-opto extracurriculars are decent, but does late application really hurt? (or only hurt a little)

Thanks people!

basically i'm worried that i'll be at a severe disadvantage due to applying 2-3 months after other people, even though the deadlines are all around feburary/march.

Members don't see this ad.

Late October/early November is not late. There's no reason that you can't turn in your application now if you want the preference of an early applicant. Your grades and degree will hold you over until you get your scores from the OAT and while you are waiting for that you can do some shadowing.

do you mean that if i begin my application now (give them what i have already, such as grades and the 2 rec letters I DO have), then my parts application would be considered as they came along... or sdo they wait until the whoel package is complete before looking at it?

thanks again

You really need to get everything in before they consider your application. All applications I have done so far require everything to be in to be considered. The only exception I can think of is the OAT scores. I know a lot of people get interviews without their OAT scores in but there is a cutoff date for taking the OAT. That date is usually in the spring the next year (so spring of 2008 your case). You should check the school's websites to find out the cutoff dates for priority seating and for the OAT. But, all things considered I think you would be competitive for optometry school turning it in late October. The faster the better though.