Roommate situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Anonymouss

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know this is extremely off topic for this website, but seeing as you are all medical students I would like your take. I am a first year medical student living with two other first year medical students. I ended up becoming super close with one of my roommates, but I resent the other. I won’t go into details about the relationship, just understand that we are not a good fit and his presence in the house actually changes my mood. I have decided that I don’t want to live with him next year, but I don’t know when the best time to tell him would be. I own the house so kicking him out is the only option. In my mind I have two options for how to approach this. The first would involve me telling him before the 1st year of school ends, but that may affect his studies as well as making the living environment super awkward. The second option involves me telling him at the very end of first year, but this only leaves him two months to find living arrangements before 2nd year starts. Although we aren’t good roommates, I don’t have anything against him so I still want him to do well in class and have the possibility of rooming with someone who is a better fit. I don’t have any issues with bringing up the conversation I just don’t know when the best time would be... what do y’all think?

Members don't see this ad.

2 months is plenty of time to find a place

Reactions: 8 users
Why do you think he'd want to stay another year if you two don't get along well? I'd wait and see if he decides to move out on his own, and if he doesn't by the end of the school year, tell him you want him to move out then. Or if you have a lease agreement, with whatever notice you are required to give him.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why do you think he'd want to stay another year if you two don't get along well? I'd wait and see if he decides to move out on his own, and if he doesn't by the end of the school year, tell him you want him to move out then. Or if you have a lease agreement, with whatever notice you are required to give him.
He is on a month to month lease so I could do it whenever, but I obviously wouldn’t end it until the end of the school year. And no, he genuinely wouldn’t be expect this. I do feel bad, but at the same time I shouldn’t be expected to have a living situation where I am not happy. A lot of my reasoning comes from his hygiene and I’ve talked to him about this. I think it’s just his natural odor but either way it still stinks up the house. So you both think the two month break over summer is enough time?

He is on a month to month lease so I could do it whenever, but I obviously wouldn’t end it until the end of the school year. And no, he genuinely wouldn’t be expect this. I do feel bad, but at the same time I shouldn’t be expected to have a living situation where I am not happy. A lot of my reasoning comes from his hygiene and I’ve talked to him about this. I think it’s just his natural odor but either way it still stinks up the house. So you both think the two month break over summer is enough time?
btw, it will be better for him to sign a new lease in may, because the graduations are in may (so he will be on 12 months leases). So keep that in mind.

Reactions: 1 user
Just wait til end of ms1. Unless you hate them. Then do it now.

Leases are also negiotiable. So if he finds a new place now and wants like a 6 month lease with a clause that he will renew for a year in six months to match school year if xyz are met can probably make it happen.

Tell him now. It gives him more time to find a place. You guys don't like each other anyway, so this doesn't change much,

Reactions: 1 users

Month to month? Raise the rent to an unreasonable amount. They'll leave on their own. Problem solved.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
You could just make up a white lie, "I just need my space to study for school" or something. Its your own house.

Dude, you are way too nice!

Tell him now.

If he got into medical school, hopefully he has the mental toughness to not break down just because he needs to find a new place to live...

Can you imagine the Leave of Absence Request Form? "Can't cope with the pressures of medical school because I'm unable to do a Google Search for apartments..."

Please tell him now. Let him find alternate housing with plenty of time.
Give a fi m end date in case you want to find a new roommate. Just a t professional, since you are the landlord.

Reactions: 1 users
Tell him now so he can look for places.

Reactions: 2 users