Roosevelt University,Accreditation, inaugural class, Pharm D

Started by 369557
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

369557

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
HI
I was wondering if anyone has been a student in a Pharmacy school when it was still in the process of being accredited, or a graduate of an inaugural class. After graduation, did anyone experience any problems with getting a job or getting their license? There is a new PharmD program opening at RU, but they are in the process of being accredited. However, they will not be accredited until they have their first class graduated. How will the students be affected after graduation if the school is not accredited before they graduate. Please share any experiences. Thanks!
 
HI
I was wondering if anyone has been a student in a Pharmacy school when it was still in the process of being accredited, or a graduate of an inaugural class. After graduation, did anyone experience any problems with getting a job or getting their license? There is a new PharmD program opening at RU, but they are in the process of being accredited. However, they will not be accredited until they have their first class graduated. How will the students be affected after graduation if the school is not accredited before they graduate. Please share any experiences. Thanks!

I think you can go here: http://www.acpe-accredit.org/ and find the answer for yourself. They have all the information about ACPE Accreditation on the website.

By the way, does anyone apply to this school? or have interviewed here? It would be much appreciated if you could share an overview on your experience with this school.
 
HI
I was wondering if anyone has been a student in a Pharmacy school when it was still in the process of being accredited, or a graduate of an inaugural class. After graduation, did anyone experience any problems with getting a job or getting their license? There is a new PharmD program opening at RU, but they are in the process of being accredited. However, they will not be accredited until they have their first class graduated. How will the students be affected after graduation if the school is not accredited before they graduate. Please share any experiences. Thanks!

Hi,

I found this on the website. Hope this helps.

"Pre-candidate status denotes a developmental program, which is expected to mature with stated plans and within a defined period of time. Pre-candidate status is awarded to a new program of a college or school of pharmacy that has not yet enrolled students in the professional program, and authorizes the school to admit its first class.

Candidate accreditation status is awarded to a Doctor of Pharmacy program that has students enrolled, but has not yet had a graduating class.


Full accreditation is awarded to a program that has met all ACPE standards for accreditation and has graduated its first class. Graduates of a class designated as having candidate status have the same rights and privileges of those graduates from a fully accredited program. ACPE conveys its decisions to the various boards of pharmacy and makes recommendations in accord with its decisions. Decisions concerning eligibility to licensure, by examination or reciprocity, reside with respective state boards of pharmacy in accordance with their state statutes and administrative rules."


Anybody applied here? Please speak up! 🙄
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

I applied here and got in, the accreditation status in my opinion should not be of concern since the dean and faculty at Roosevelt University seem pretty certain that they'll get their accreditation when their first class graduates. They're very well prepared and I've visited their campus and time and time again am reminded how this was not something they did overnight but have thought through, so if you're looking to go here, I think it's a great school and the administration are extremely friendly and laid back and will be there for you no matter what happens.

I chose to decline my acceptance simply because the cost of attendance is a bit high compared to other schools. But I think I'd choose to go otherwise. 🙂
 
I interviewed last week and was granted acceptance! It seems like a well put together program. It costs about $42,000 per year but its 3 years vs. 4 so I think that makes it rather inexpensive. I think accredation will not be a problem since they have met all the requirements and the dean has successfully opened 3 other colleges of pharmacy.
 
Last edited:
I interviewed last week and was granted acceptance! It seems like a well put together program. It costs about $42,000 per year but its 3 years vs. 4 so I think that makes it rather inexpensive. I think accredation will not be a problem since they have met all the requirements and the dean has successfully opened 3 other colleges of pharmacy.


Same here! What group were you in? Are you going to attend this school? Please reply back.
 
Hi

I also was interviewed end of Feb. and accepted...Is anyone going there?

As of now I am. Depends if I get accepted anywhere else then I will have to decide where to go. I will be sending them the $750 to save my seat though. What date did you interview on and what group were you in?
😎
 
As of now I am. Depends if I get accepted anywhere else then I will have to decide where to go. I will be sending them the $750 to save my seat though. What date did you interview on and what group were you in?
😎

Interviewed on Friday 2/25
 
I interviewed on 2/26/2011 and got accepted. I put down a deposit to save my seat and I'm most likely going to attend.

The staff was really awesome, they were cool and did their best to calm our nerves. The program seems legit and unique as well.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I heard they had over 200 applications, so I guess it is a narrow pool for the inaugurating class. I have yet to see construction at their campus for a building they were supposed to build inside and classes are supposed to start in the summer. I wonder if they will utilize the main campus for classes while they built up a building through the summer?
 
I heard they had over 200 applications, so I guess it is a narrow pool for the inaugurating class. I have yet to see construction at their campus for a building they were supposed to build inside and classes are supposed to start in the summer. I wonder if they will utilize the main campus for classes while they built up a building through the summer?

I heard they had 600 applicants and 200 interviews. Did you not see the construction on the second floor? The whole floor is devoted to pharmacy. It is being built very quickly. There are pictures on facebook.
 
So they are building on top of the building? I thought they were erecting a structure in the middle of the campus in LAS section where the biology and chemistry labs are.
 
So they are building on top of the building? I thought they were erecting a structure in the middle of the campus in LAS section where the biology and chemistry labs are.

Yes they built a second floor. Its in the Schaumburg Campus. I don't think they have any labs there already?
 
hey guys, i have an interview here tomorrow morning and i am nervous! i am super excited about this school though and i definitely want to go here! does anyone have any idea how many people have been accepted so far???
 
hey guys, i have an interview here tomorrow morning and i am nervous! i am super excited about this school though and i definitely want to go here! does anyone have any idea how many people have been accepted so far???

Based on the "likes" of the official facebook page, about 22. Based on the unofficial facebook that was created by pharmacy 4444, 6 including me. I hope you do well and get accepted. I do think they are having a harder time getting students to attend the school, because the are pre-candidate. Be yourself, and you will be fine. If you do get accepted, please join the unofficial facebook page. Link is in posts.

Good luck!
 
I understand that the next step for Roosevelt is candidate status. Can anyone explain what the requirements are for them to achieve this status? In other words, what is the ACPE council looking at exactly when that time comes?

I have been accepted, and am seriously considering attending, but have to admit, the accreditation factor makes me a tiny bit nervous...
 
I understand that the next step for Roosevelt is candidate status. Can anyone explain what the requirements are for them to achieve this status? In other words, what is the ACPE council looking at exactly when that time comes?

I have been accepted, and am seriously considering attending, but have to admit, the accreditation factor makes me a tiny bit nervous...

Did you not read the second or third post?
 
I understand that the next step for Roosevelt is candidate status. Can anyone explain what the requirements are for them to achieve this status? In other words, what is the ACPE council looking at exactly when that time comes?

I have been accepted, and am seriously considering attending, but have to admit, the accreditation factor makes me a tiny bit nervous...

You have to realize that EVERY school had to go through this at one point. The ACPE looks at 30 different points when considering a school for being accredited. An average school usually passes 22/30 before having an inaugural class start the semester. RUCOP has already met all 30 requirements. I wouldn't be worried about them getting accredited. Also, the principal has successfully started 3 pharmacy schools so he knows what he is doing.
 
Did you not read the second or third post?

I did and I read the ACPE guidelines; I was just looking for something a little more concrete.

Do they look at student grades after year 1? Do they come sit in the classroom and evaluate the teaching methods? Do they check the calibration on lab equipment?

I am just trying to understand under what possible scenarios (not matter how unlikely) that Roosevelt might not reach candidate status.
 
I did and I read the ACPE guidelines; I was just looking for something a little more concrete.

Do they look at student grades after year 1? Do they come sit in the classroom and evaluate the teaching methods? Do they check the calibration on lab equipment?

I am just trying to understand under what possible scenarios (not matter how unlikely) that Roosevelt might not reach candidate status.

I am not sure what they check but I believe they do sit in the classroom. I'm sure they check grades as well.
 
I understand that the next step for Roosevelt is candidate status. Can anyone explain what the requirements are for them to achieve this status? In other words, what is the ACPE council looking at exactly when that time comes?

I have been accepted, and am seriously considering attending, but have to admit, the accreditation factor makes me a tiny bit nervous...

I wouldn't be too nervous about that, but I would be nervous about the 5 other pharmacy schools in Illinois.
 
Why do you say that? Are you assuming I plan on living in Illinois after graduation?

Exactly. Too many people assume that we will be staying in the state to which we study at. I don't plan on staying too long. That's why I moved to Dallas a few years back. It just so happens my education is in a state that I had lived in for almost my whole life thus far.

Hey don't worry about what other people think, especially those posting in the illinois schools comparison thread. The only thing we will worry about in the future is the rapid growth of pharmacy schools in the US generally.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
And this problem leads to this kind of issue:

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bestjobs/2010/jobgrowth/index.html

"Pharmacist" is not in the top 100 jobs in the U.S. What the *$!% ?

With baby boomers retiring soon, there will be plenty of demand for pharmacists. With the economy being terrible right now, they are delaying retirement, as well as current pharmacists. I think in 8 to 15 years pharmacists will be in high demand. Don't be discouraged. If pharmacy is what you really want to do then these numbers shouldn't matter. Healthcare will always be needed.
 
What are the 5 other pharmacy schools that are opening up? If it is true, then bad times ahead for pharmacy as you will surely reach saturation faster than before in the cities and surrounding 'burbs.
 
What are the 5 other pharmacy schools that are opening up? If it is true, then bad times ahead for pharmacy as you will surely reach saturation faster than before in the cities and surrounding 'burbs.


They mean there are already 5 in Illinois.

UIC Chicago
UIC Rockford (satellite campus)
Midwestern
Chicago State
SIU


New schools with first class enrolling this summer

Roosevelt (schaumburg)
Rosalind Franklin


Total schools in Illinois 7. I remember only a few years backk the only schools were UIC Chicago and Midwestern. SIU was considered a new school.
 
What are the 5 other pharmacy schools that are opening up? If it is true, then bad times ahead for pharmacy as you will surely reach saturation faster than before in the cities and surrounding 'burbs.

I'm sure we'll be fine. I know of some people right now that are getting 3 to 5 job offers as they are finishing up pharmacy school. It may be tougher to find a job, but definitely not impossible.
 
I'm sure we'll be fine. I know of some people right now that are getting 3 to 5 job offers as they are finishing up pharmacy school. It may be tougher to find a job, but definitely not impossible.

The market in Illinois is starting to be saturated, that is a fact. However, that's really only in certain areas and there is really no way to predict what the job market will be like in 4 years. You'll always be able to find a job somewhere with a pharmacy degree, you just might have to look a little harder and it might not be your ideal job to begin with but you can use it as a stepping stone to get to where you want to be. A lot of the talk about the diar conditions of the pharmacy job market comes from disgruntled pharmacists who have been in the profession for years and are angry that new graduates are being paid just about the same amount as pharmacists who have been working for 20 years. What they don't seem to consider as they complain about this is the fact that we have to get doctorates in pharmacy, and nearly all of us end up at least $100K in debt when we finish our educations. Many of them just had to get bachelors degrees in pharmacy in a time when education costs weren't so out of control. Okay that's enough rambling I suppose.
 
i was just wondering (for those of you that got accepted to roosevelt) when you found out? i interviewed on friday the 18th and am anxiously waiting a decision!
 
They mean there are already 5 in Illinois.

UIC Chicago
UIC Rockford (satellite campus)
Midwestern
Chicago State
SIU


New schools with first class enrolling this summer

Roosevelt (schaumburg)
Rosalind Franklin


Total schools in Illinois 7. I remember only a few years backk the only schools were UIC Chicago and Midwestern. SIU was considered a new school.

Rockford is just an expansion of the UIC program, so it can admit 150 people now. SIU prefers people from the south, not chicago from what I have heard.
 
hi guys
i was wondering who has gotten accepted so far

please post:
interview date
acceptance date
attending (yes, no maybe)
stats (pcat/gpa)
 
Interview: 2/11/11
Accepted: 2/16/11
GPA: 2.91
PCAT: 62
8 months working in community pharmacy
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roosevelt: Accepted - Attendance doubtful
Rosalind Franklin: Interview Cancelled
Chicago State: Interview Cancelled
Midwestern CCP: Accepted - Probably attending
 
Accepted 4 days after interview. The admissions committee meets every Tues or Wed, I believe, so keep that in mind, guys. Don't know if I'm attending yet.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interview: 2/11/11
Accepted: 2/16/11
GPA: 2.91
PCAT: 62
8 months working in community pharmacy
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roosevelt: Accepted - Attendance doubtful
Rosalind Franklin: Interview Cancelled
Chicago State: Interview Cancelled
Midwestern CCP: Accepted - Probably attending

Interviewed- 2/25
Accepted- 3/2
Cum GPA- 3.2
Pre-req GPA- 3.8
12 months volunteering at pharmacy

How come I didnt even get an interview at MIdwestern?
 
Interviewed: 3/18
Accepted: 3/23 - attending!
Gpa: 3.5
Pcat: 70
No pharmacy experience


Anyone else attending? I am getting excited about starting!!
 
Want it straight from Roosevelt regarding accreditation? "We do have several agreements with other Pharmacy programs to move our students into their programs if something catastrophic should happen. Students who are finished with the RU program can still sit for their boards and be licensed and ultimately receive their degree from a partner program."

There you have it!
 
Want it straight from Roosevelt regarding accreditation? "We do have several agreements with other Pharmacy programs to move our students into their programs if something catastrophic should happen. Students who are finished with the RU program can still sit for their boards and be licensed and ultimately receive their degree from a partner program."

There you have it!

They don't seem very confident, do they? I'm not sure I've ever heard a program say this before...

As soon as it stops being profitable this "University" will ditch their pharmacy school.
 
I doubt it. But this is a question for everyone. Every school had to go through this process to get accredited right? Many top notch schools like UIChicago and UTexas had to go through it for the first classes right? So yeah they are now established, which is great for us incoming classes.