Quantcast

root canal question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mmasurf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
i have a question, my friend was telling me that he almost had to get a root canal but the dentist put some medicine above the pulp to stop the need for root canal. He didnt remember the exact name but he said it sounded like a 4 letter name called irmx or imxr does anyone know what he was talking about?

dinesh

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
IRM? Intermediate restorative Material.

zvifudim

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i have a question, my friend was telling me that he almost had to get a root canal but the dentist put some medicine above the pulp to stop the need for root canal. He didnt remember the exact name but he said it sounded like a 4 letter name called irmx or imxr does anyone know what he was talking about?
If you mean a direct pulp coping it should be "CALXYL" or "Ca OH" which is the same and on the top IRM. It is also recommended to prey a lot.

mmasurf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
thx guys its IRM he remembered now, that should work if the infection has not reached the pulp though, but its only a matter of time till that amalgum cracks or he gets another cavity there.

ttthan81

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
He'll eventually need to replace the IRM material though. IRM is only an intermediate material, so within a month or earlier he'll need to return to the dentist. The tooth will need a root canal anytime now.

DrJeff

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
He'll eventually need to replace the IRM material though. IRM is only an intermediate material, so within a month or earlier he'll need to return to the dentist. The tooth will need a root canal anytime now.

Depends on if the IRM was used as a liner for pulpal protection UNDER the final restoration. If that's the case, the IRM can function for years without problems, the nerve on the other hand in this situation may not have the lifespan that the IRM does:D Every so often, I'll work on a tooth with a giant failing/broken amalgam that per the patient was placed "decades" ago, and when I'm taking that old amalgam aprt, I'll regularly find solid, stable IRM under it that was used way back when as a base. If the IRM is sealed under a restoration, it can function for a very, very long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.