Rosalind Franklin ADCOM meeting => the wait continues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ClockworkDoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We have about reached our post limit on the old thread, so lets do it again!

Members don't see this ad.

cool, any news anyone

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it bad I haven't even heard from the BMS thing?

How does RFU know if you are interested in the BMS program? Did anyone have to send in a form or express some other type of interest to be invited?

For the BMS program, you have to send in the BMS application and send 10 bucks. its a short app.

For the BMS program, you have to send in the BMS application and send 10 bucks. its a short app.

Also, I think the deadline is June 1st.

It is only May 17th, a little less than 3 months still RFU starts class...

Also, I think the deadline is June 1st.

It is only May 17th, a little less than 3 months still RFU starts class...

Do they approach the BMS acceptance giving much the same way as they do with their medical school? Send out a few acceptances, wait, and make those that really need to get in wait even longer, but never really know if they're in until school actually starts and they're outside the campus looking in through the chain linked fence? :( :(

I think I'm going crazy. I might consider other paths for my life....that is, until one of you slaps me in the face and tells me to snap out of it.

Do they approach the BMS acceptance giving much the same way as they do with their medical school? Send out a few acceptances, wait, and make those that really need to get in wait even longer, but never really know if they're in until school actually starts and they're outside the campus looking in through the chain linked fence? :( :(

I think I'm going crazy. I might consider other paths for my life....that is, until one of you slaps me in the face and tells me to snap out of it.

From what I hear, they send about 50, wait two, send another batch, and so forth until they start cherry picking to fill there class.

If I do end up going to an SMP--I most likely will go to a more cost efficient and smaller one. Or I might just work all of next year, haven't decided.

I wish we knew when the next adcom meeting is, we need a spy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Today I:
- Watched an obscene amount of StarTrek (hooray, Spike!)
- Applied for about 30 jobs in anticipation of my failure to get into medical school
- Drowned my sorrows in a huuuuge margarita
- Contemplated whether it would really be that bad to go to medical school in the Caribbean since I want to do family medicine anyway.

All instead of posting on SDN :)

Today I:
- Watched an obscene amount of StarTrek (hooray, Spike!)
- Applied for about 30 jobs in anticipation of my failure to get into medical school
- Drowned my sorrows in a huuuuge margarita
- Contemplated whether it would really be that bad to go to medical school in the Caribbean since I want to do family medicine anyway.

All instead of posting on SDN :)

We had similar days :laugh:

I am in a huge decision phase also, carribean or not...

What are you thinking?

I really have no idea. This is my first cycle, and I applied relatively late. My numbers aren't fabulous (3.44, 31R), but my ECs aren't terrible and my LORs were pretty solid. I know that I can't reapply next cycle because I really haven't done enough to improve my application.

So, I've applied to the new MPH program at my school, since that's an area that I'm really interested in, and they'll let me focus my degree on rural health policy (which is something else I'm really interested in). I've applied for a grand total of about 50 jobs since graduation last Saturday, mostly in St. Louis. I'm going to apply for a few in Chicago and Kansas City, and maybe in Pennsylvania, just because I like the area. I'm on two waitlists, and I'm still waiting to hear back from RFU and SLU. So, anything could happen.

I really thought about doing an MPH myself, but I realized I would be more in dept the I am, plus I wouldn't gain too much from it for what I want to do. Besides, those programs often pay you to attend if you're already a doctor.....

As for Carri bean, I'm not opposed to that. I was also thinking Israel....but that's all next cycle. I would really need to improve my MCAT right now in order to get into a school this coming cycle.

I really have no idea. This is my first cycle, and I applied relatively late. My numbers aren't fabulous (3.44, 31R), but my ECs aren't terrible and my LORs were pretty solid. I know that I can't reapply next cycle because I really haven't done enough to improve my application.

So, I've applied to the new MPH program at my school, since that's an area that I'm really interested in, and they'll let me focus my degree on rural health policy (which is something else I'm really interested in). I've applied for a grand total of about 50 jobs since graduation last Saturday, mostly in St. Louis. I'm going to apply for a few in Chicago and Kansas City, and maybe in Pennsylvania, just because I like the area. I'm on two waitlists, and I'm still waiting to hear back from RFU and SLU. So, anything could happen.

Sounds like you have a better chance than most of us.

I've thought about Israel, too, actually. I have a friend whose brother is at Sackler and loves it. I spent a couple weeks travelling about the country last winter and loved it. I just don't know if I would be comfortable living in a country for four years where I wasn't entirely comfortable with the language, even though I know they teach classes in English.

Like I said, matching into a competitive specialty really isn't a huge deal, since I'm 99% sure that I will go family medicine.

Someone has to say yes eventually, right?

I'm not sure how you mean - I'm pretty much in the same boat as everybody else :)

well....

Living in Israel would be awesome, I think. I've lived in 5 different countries in my life and that would only excite me more to have another on my list.

Are they competitive? I don't have a great MCAT. In fact it sucks.

well....

Living in Israel would be awesome, I think. I've lived in 5 different countries in my life and that would only excite me more to have another on my list.

Are they competitive? I don't have a great MCAT. In fact it sucks.

From what I understand, it's not terribly difficult to get into Sackler. Israel is a beautiful country. You can look at my pictures if you want: http://photos.yahoo.com/spin_melissa

Is Ben Gurion the same as Sackler? I have heard amazing things about Sackler.

As for SGU seems to be the more valid option...

What's SGU? So many acronyms get thrown around in here....

Sackler is at Tel Aviv University. Tel Aviv is an incredible city, right on the Mediterranean, with the best food you've ever had. Seriously, if you love samosas, you'll love, love, love burrekas. The ones I had in Israel were so good (and the ones at home so bad) that I had to learn how to make them myself to get anywhere near the amazingness.

I think that if I ended up going to Israel for med school, I'd have to stay.

SGU is St. George's. I think it's in Grenada. I have a friend doing vet med there.

Sackler is at Tel Aviv University. Tel Aviv is an incredible city, right on the Mediterranean, with the best food you've ever had. Seriously, if you love samosas, you'll love, love, love burrekas. The ones I had in Israel were so good (and the ones at home so bad) that I had to learn how to make them myself to get anywhere near the amazingness.

SGU is St. George's. I think it's in Grenada. I have a friend doing vet med there.

I've had Burrekas, to find a quality one you need to hunt down a good gradma :)

Yeah, sgu is in grenada.

Ok, I'm just throwing this out there.

If I were a person that wanted to get into medical school, but didn't have the numbers to do so (let's just ignore the fact that the test could be taken over again), where should I apply where I would have the greatest percentage of getting in?

Ok, I'm just throwing this out there.

If I were a person that wanted to get into medical school, but didn't have the numbers to do so (let's just ignore the fact that the test could be taken over again), where should I apply where I would have the greatest percentage of getting in?

Osteopathic and Carribean...

I don't know where ya'll are geographically, or what you see yourself specializing in right now, but I'd say that osteo >> caribbean. In the midwest, D.O.s are really a dime a dozen, and you can match into both osteopathic and allopathic residencies if you take the Step 1s and do pretty well. If you want to go into primary care, then it's pretty similar anyway. Caribbean students have weird matching things.

It's also a major commitment because it's super-expensive (so are D.O. schools, too, I guess) and the retention rate can be kind of low. You have to make sure that you go to a reputable island school. They take huge classes and report really high Step 1 pass rates because so many people fail out really early on.

I don't know where ya'll are geographically, or what you see yourself specializing in right now, but I'd say that osteo >> caribbean. In the midwest, D.O.s are really a dime a dozen, and you can match into both osteopathic and allopathic residencies if you take the Step 1s and do pretty well. If you want to go into primary care, then it's pretty similar anyway. Caribbean students have weird matching things.

I agree. Carribean grads match decently well coming from either SGU, Ross, AUC, and now SABA. But, going the osteopathic route will open more options for you in the long run.

I am thinking IM as my final desitination, so carribean isnt that bad..but I dont want to regret it later...

huh. is it hard to match in pediatrics?

Funny anecdote, my dad went to this conference down in D.C. Everyone had to where name tags that hung around your neck, saying what field you're in etc. He said that all the MD's had their tag facing forward, while the DO's had their's facing the other way. Now, I'm sure not EVERYONE was doing that, but that kinda speaks for itself. I mean, if it's that much easier to get into a DO than an MD, I don't know if I could live with that kinda attitude the rest of my career.

I agree. Carribean grads match decently well coming from either SGU, Ross, AUC, and now SABA. But, going the osteopathic route will open more options for you in the long run.

I am thinking IM as my final desitination, so carribean isnt that bad..but I dont want to regret it later...

IM??

Funny anecdote, my dad went to this conference down in D.C. Everyone had to where name tags that hung around your neck, saying what field you're in etc. He said that all the MD's had their tag facing forward, while the DO's had their's facing the other way. Now, I'm sure not EVERYONE was doing that, but that kinda speaks for itself. I mean, if it's that much easier to get into a DO than an MD, I don't know if I could live with that kinda attitude the rest of my career.

SGU match list:

http://www.sgu.edu/ERD/ResidPost.nsf/BYPGY?OpenView&RestrictToCategory=PGY1&Count=-1

I know what you mean, that's what worries me a bit also. But in the end, it is all the same. I have shadowed a few DO's and it was great.

Oh, internal medicine....

As you can see, a lot of primary care matches at sgu

DVN, I'm just a bit confused. Bare with me. Why would you regret it? The location, the chance you'd be taking not being able to match?

Peds is definitely a lifestyle. The good residencies are probably competitive, but it's primary care and definitely NOT the most competitive residency overall. A lot of people really don't like working exclusively with kids and their parents.

I mean, if it's that much easier to get into a DO than an MD, I don't know if I could live with that kinda attitude the rest of my career.

I'd be really cautious about saying that it's easier to get in. It's less competitive, for sure, but a lot of schools are looking for someone who's going to "preach D.O." and for someone who has taken the time to really understand what the osteopathic philosophy is. Lots of schools require that you have some experience shadowing one, and have a LOR from one.

Osteopathy isn't really an option for me, because I've looked into the philosophy and it really doesn't work for me. If allopathic philosophy remained as paternalistic as it was thirty years ago, then I'd be all about osteopathy. But because allo philosophy is more holistic in nature now, and more and more geared toward prevention than it used to be, I don't feel like I need to learn all of the manipulation stuff. It's fine for some people... just not for me.

How important is the match list? I mean, if you get into the field you want, who cares what program....right?

It really depends. If you want to go into academia, then yes. But if you are going into private practice or more low key programs then no. Personally, I just want to be a doctor, so either is good for me.

Heston, lets just head to SGU :laugh:

It is only 2 years in grenada then 2 years back in the states.

Peds is definitely a lifestyle. The good residencies are probably competitive, but it's primary care and definitely NOT the most competitive residency overall. A lot of people really don't like working exclusively with kids and their parents.

I'd be really cautious about saying that it's easier to get in. It's less competitive, for sure, but a lot of schools are looking for someone who's going to "preach D.O." and for someone who has taken the time to really understand what the osteopathic philosophy is. Lots of schools require that you have some experience shadowing one, and have a LOR from one.

Osteopathy isn't really an option for me, because I've looked into the philosophy and it really doesn't work for me. If allopathic philosophy remained as paternalistic as it was thirty years ago, then I'd be all about osteopathy. But because allo philosophy is more holistic in nature now, and more and more geared toward prevention than it used to be, I don't feel like I need to learn all of the manipulation stuff. It's fine for some people... just not for me.

Mave, I hear you man. I feel like I fit more the all philo than I do the osteo. Maybe it's because I've grown up watching/listening my dad. I feel like the only reason why I would go to osteo because it would be less competitive for me - and, like you said, they probably will see right through that.

With that said, would you rather go to SGU?

You make a lot of valid points which I agree with, but just want to mention one thing. It seems like most DO grads don't even use OMM, especially since they match into allo programs. From the people I talked to, at the end of the day, they don't practice an *osteopathic* philosophy, just medicine.

But like you, I am not completely sold.

Mave, I hear you man. I feel like I fit more the all philo than I do the osteo. Maybe it's because I've grown up watching/listening my dad. I feel like the only reason why I would go to osteo because it would be less competitive for me - and, like you said, they probably will see right through that.

Unless you shadow one:)

It really depends. If you want to go into academia, then yes. But if you are going into private practice or more low key programs then no. Personally, I just want to be a doctor, so either is good for me.

Heston, lets just head to SGU :laugh:

It is only 2 years in grenada then 2 years back in the states.

Honestly, DVN, I wouldn't be opposed to that at all. I lived 7 years in the Carribean and, although it's not the same country, I would probably feel at home. If I get an MD there and get into a residency, I really don't care. Academia is NOT where I want to be. There's definitely a place for it and it's much needed, but I'm not geared that way. I just want to practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.