Rosalind Franklin ADCOM meeting => the wait continues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like most DO grads don't even use OMM

OMM? Guys, obviously I'm not learned in the ways of acronyms.

Members don't see this ad.

1) mave = not a man :) (forgiven)
2) I'd probably end up at SGU, just because I'd rather study allopathic medicine on an island than go to a landlocked osteopathic school :)

My physician at the health center here is D.O. and even though he doesn't do OMM, it's still a definite difference in vibes when I see him (and any other D.O. I've ever met). I can't really explain it.

Honestly, DVN, I wouldn't be opposed to that at all. I lived 7 years in the Carribean and, although it's not the same country, I would probably feel at home. If I get an MD there and get into a residency, I really don't care. Academia is NOT where I want to be. There's definitely a place for it and it's much needed, but I'm not geared that way. I just want to practice.

I am very strongly looking into going to SGU for the winter class. Wow, you lived in the Carribean? You have such a cool background, your lifestory must be really interesting...how many languages can u speak?

Members don't see this ad :)
With that said, would you rather go to SGU?

You make a lot of valid points which I agree with, but just want to mention one thing. It seems like most DO grads don't even use OMM, especially since they match into allo programs. From the people I talked to, at the end of the day, they don't practice an *osteopathic* philosophy, just medicine.

But like you, I am not completely sold.

I am very strongly looking into going to SGU for the winter class. Wow, you lived in the Carribean? You have such a cool background, your lifestory must be really interesting...how many languages can u speak?

Well, that varied. I learned Creole when I was in Haiti, but forgot most of it because it was when i was younger. Learned French in Congo, as well as a bit of their tribal languages, but most of that's gone too. Not speaking anything but English for the past 5 or 6 years does that to you.

OMM? Guys, obviously I'm not learned in the ways of acronyms.

Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine ;)

1) mave = not a man :) (forgiven)
2) I'd probably end up at SGU, just because I'd rather study allopathic medicine on an island than go to a landlocked osteopathic school :)

My physician at the health center here is D.O. and even though he doesn't do OMM, it's still a definite difference in vibes when I see him (and any other D.O. I've ever met). I can't really explain it.

Yikes!!!! sorry MS. Mave:) A lot of people thought I was a girl on the forums before :oops:

I am 50/50 on whether to go SGU or the osteo route. When you speak about the vibes, I totally know what you mean. When I visted Western out in Cali, I felt it there especially...

DVN, btw, I'm not doing the 24 hour challenge. I'm just gonna do one of their smaller blocks of time.

Also, can I still apply for the winter thing?? Wouldn't we be behind, or is their schedule different than in the US? Also, I haven't even applied to them yet.....

Mave, my apologies. I would have never known. You go girl!

DVN, btw, I'm not doing the 24 hour challenge. I'm just gonna do one of their smaller blocks of time.

Also, can I still apply for the winter thing?? Wouldn't we be behind, or is their schedule different than in the US?

I might do a smaller block also...

They have 2 start dates, Fall and Winter. Fall is already filled up though and winter is getting close to, so you would have to apply soon. So we wouldnt be behind.

Wow, you guys got this tread going fast. I didnt realize we reached a limit on the other thread.

Haha, it's no big deal, really. I can hold my own with the boys :)

I might do a smaller block also...

They have 2 start dates, Fall and Winter. Fall is already filled up though and winter is getting close to, so you would have to apply soon. So we wouldnt be behind.

What time were you thinking? They told me they have a lot of people at 1 on saturday, but don't have very many people that morning.

Ok, maybe I should apply to SGU as soon as possible. Do I have to get all new LOR and resend my MCAT?

Wow, you guys got this tread going fast. I didnt realize we reached a limit on the other thread.

Dude, this is what nervous people do....they have to talk....a LOT.

Members don't see this ad :)
What time were you thinking? They told me they have a lot of people at 1 on saturday, but don't have very many people that morning.

Ok, maybe I should apply to SGU as soon as possible. Do I have to get all new LOR and resend my MCAT?

I probably would do mid-afternoonish.

SGU App:
1. Online Application
2. Send LORs (same as the ones you used for here)
3. Forward MCAT scores from ThX on the aamc site.

Carribean forums: www.valuemd.com

I probably would do mid-afternoonish.

SGU App:
1. Online Application
2. Send LORs (same as the ones you used for here)
3. Forward MCAT scores from ThX on the aamc site.

Carribean forums: www.valuemd.com

Thanks! Have you done all that already?

Thanks! Have you done all that already?

I am going to send in my transcripts this week and submit my application in June probably. Wait for one more adcom meeting...Also, I am not sure if I am going to do an SMP so many lingering questions...

Another thing I won't do if I have to reapply - use my undergrad's pre-med committee. It's awful here - you do a high-stress interview with the Honors College (of which I am no longer a member because none of the classes really fit into a biochem schedule) and then the pre-med advisor and the Dean of the honors college collaborate on a letter. So if they don't like you, you're fairly screwed.

I'll just use InterFolio, thanks.

Another thing I won't do if I have to reapply - use my undergrad's pre-med committee. It's awful here - you do a high-stress interview with the Honors College (of which I am no longer a member because none of the classes really fit into a biochem schedule) and then the pre-med advisor and the Dean of the honors college collaborate on a letter. So if they don't like you, you're fairly screwed.

Ouch!! I have a premed committee also, so I know how you feel. It is definitely rough. Fortunately, before they write the letter, they tell us how postive of a letter they will write.

Hopefully this discussion won't have any relavance because we will be accepted to RFU :luck:

God, I avoided that whole scene as much as possible. My school's committee sucked as well. Plus, the adviser just doesn't help.

I am going to send in my transcripts this week and submit my application in June probably. Wait for one more adcom meeting...Also, I am not sure if I am going to do an SMP so many lingering questions...

DVN, as always, you've inspired me. I'm gonna get that done as soon as possible. Intuition tells me that playing the numbers game increases your odds. Let's hope that's true.....I guess it did get me an interview.....

DVN, as always, you've inspired me. I'm gonna get that done as soon as possible. Intuition tells me that playing the numbers game increases your odds. Let's hope that's true.....I guess it did get me an interview.....

;) Glad to be of service.

Hopefully we just get a darn acceptace from RFU and we don't have to worry about all these other things.

As for now, it is time for bed:)

Good night! :luck:

;) Glad to be of service.

Hopefully we just get a darn acceptace from RFU and we don't have to worry about all these other things.

As for now, it is time for bed:)

Good night! :luck:

I'm going in that direction as well. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have made it through that 24 challenge......

:laugh:

We are contemplating what to do with out futures. Curious, weigh in...DO or SGU?

Before my RFU acceptance, I was going to go to DO. I rather be a DO then a Foreign Med Grad, just my personal opinion.

I noticed that residency placement was a bit better with the DO's then with the foreign grads.

Seems like it's a toss up. Just go with your initial instinct, I guess. You could go on and on debating which one is better.

I agree 100% DrCurious DO is better than out of the country.

Just out of curiosity.. I know curious you got in recently... what have the stats been of the latest ppl who have recently got an acceptance?

It's odd. I have read of two people on other threads who have received post-interview rejections from RFU this week. Both have other MD acceptances which makes me think they have something on the ball so it's surprising to me that no one here who is still waiting on a first acceptance has gotten the boot this week. Maybe they are currently just rejecting people who already have acceptances?

It's odd. I have read of two people on other threads who have received post-interview rejections from RFU this week. Both have other MD acceptances which makes me think they have something on the ball so it's surprising to me that no one here who is still waiting on a first acceptance has gotten the boot this week. Maybe they are currently just rejecting people who already have acceptances?

How would they know if they have any acceptances? Doesn't that kind of make the whole May 15th thing moot?

Hey everyone, I interviewed at RFU on their last interview date (5/8). I just graduated with high honors last week. Should I send in an updated transcript and a LOI? I really liked the school and the people. I would really prefer not to go through another application cycle, as many of you would prefer as well. This time period sucks so bad. Right now, I'm finding it really hard to re-study for the MCAT, because of this possible acceptance from RFU. I'm trying to make myself believe that I will get a rejection at RFU so I can psychologically prepare for the next application cycle, but it is so difficult. Anyway, sorry for my rant.

How would they know if they have any acceptances? Doesn't that kind of make the whole May 15th thing moot?

Schools have access to a lot of information that we know and don't know about. Hopefully RFU is weeding out people to let in the people who will go there for sure :luck:

Hey everyone, I interviewed at RFU on their last interview date (5/8). I just graduated with high honors last week. Should I send in an updated transcript and a LOI? I really liked the school and the people. I would really prefer not to go through another application cycle, as many of you would prefer as well. This time period sucks so bad. Right now, I'm finding it really hard to re-study for the MCAT, because of this possible acceptance from RFU. I'm trying to make myself believe that I will get a rejection at RFU so I can psychologically prepare for the next application cycle, but it is so difficult. Anyway, sorry for my rant.

My friend that interviewed with me had almost the exact same scores as you (29 MCAT and 3.98 or so GPA) and got an acceptance the week after the interview.

I've given up trying to figure out how this whole process works. I too am finding it hard to restudy for the MCAT, so I know how you feel. Right now I'm avoiding it by applying to SGU....

jvoo
I have the exact MCAT as you, stupid verbal.

this has got to be the most bumpin thread on sdn. hands down. if the adcom new about this; i really think it would weigh into their decision.

i have now started checking my mail everyday only to be disappointed. for some reason, the last 2 days i can see the mailman putting the mail into our mailbox, like he's teasing me. come and get it...

well what can you do? may 15 was only a few days ago... lets give it a solid week. i mean med schools are slow as hell to get back to you anyways, so why should this be any different?

as always, good luck to all.

How much have you guys spent so far on the process?

2005: $3000
2006: $800
2007: $5200

Grand total: $9000...until I reapply next year.

Just out of curiosity.. I know curious you got in recently... what have the stats been of the latest ppl who have recently got an acceptance?

I have a 3.6 overall with almost a 3.7 BCMP and a 32R MCAT. If that helps.

Do they approach the BMS acceptance giving much the same way as they do with their medical school? Send out a few acceptances, wait, and make those that really need to get in wait even longer, but never really know if they're in until school actually starts and they're outside the campus looking in through the chain linked fence? :( :(

I think I'm going crazy. I might consider other paths for my life....that is, until one of you slaps me in the face and tells me to snap out of it.

pardon the barge but i have to share my story. i was accepted into what used to be the ap program here literally three days before orientation. i kept calling the admin office and checking my status and knew i was waitlisted. so you can be accepted late in the game. i think to my advatage was that i was already in the area....i can not imagine having to move a long distance in that amount of time :eek:

Hahahaha. I just called the admissions committee to find out about my BMS application. She said, "I talked to you yesterday." I paused and then I thought back.....yeah, I guess I did call yesterday, shoot! In order to save myself, I said, "I was just wondering if there's been any change." She said, "It's not that fast....The earliest you'll find out is June."

Boy, am I an idiot. Hahah, oh well. At least it seems as if I'm really wanting to get in....?

cool, any news anyone

nothing here.....i hope i hear something really soon....my sister is getting married on june 16th and i'll be seeing lots of family and they'll all be asking me and telling me stories about how so and so got in to so many schools.....

Hahahaha. I just called the admissions committee to find out about my BMS application. She said, "I talked to you yesterday." I paused and then I thought back.....yeah, I guess I did call yesterday, shoot! In order to save myself, I said, "I was just wondering if there's been any change." She said, "It's not that fast....The earliest you'll find out is June."

Boy, am I an idiot. Hahah, oh well. At least it seems as if I'm really wanting to get in....?

she must be annoyed.

Sackler is at Tel Aviv University. Tel Aviv is an incredible city, right on the Mediterranean, with the best food you've ever had. Seriously, if you love samosas, you'll love, love, love burrekas. The ones I had in Israel were so good (and the ones at home so bad) that I had to learn how to make them myself to get anywhere near the amazingness.

I think that if I ended up going to Israel for med school, I'd have to stay.

SGU is St. George's. I think it's in Grenada. I have a friend doing vet med there.

ohhh yeah... (think kool aid commercial)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

i did that for like 3 weeks str8 after their meeting in april (i interviewed in march).

so is rfu sending out acceptances... i mean if we accept the 3:1 ratio of drops (reality? : to sdn reported) then i mean... since no one has gotten accepted to rfu in a while (at least on this thread) does that mean that no one has gotten an acceptance period?

----A whole another thing----

why do med schools have to be so secretive about the process?

i mean, what difference does it make to a medical school to show their stats to prospective students? Those who want to come will wait (assuming they're near the top) and those who dont will withdraw and go elsewhere (assuming they have an acceptance) and those who arent in either of those situations can start making other plans rather than waiting around for the next 15 adcom meetings.

my rant for the day.

why do med schools have to be so secretive about the process?

i mean, what difference does it make to a medical school to show their stats to prospective students? Those who want to come will wait (assuming they're near the top) and those who dont will withdraw and go elsewhere (assuming they have an acceptance) and those who arent in either of those situations can start making other plans rather than waiting around for the next 15 adcom meetings.

my rant for the day.

My guess is that they are afraid of litigation. Depending on the state, one may be able to argue that they where unfairly treated, skipped over, or made arrangements based on the status which cost them when they didn't get in.

clearly texas requiring each of its schools (state only?) to have 90% instate population (or something along those lines) isnt a cause of litigation.

quoting that stat from a different thread, havent researched it myself.

Ugh, this process sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.