Rosalind Franklin BMS 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
With all do respect future BMS students (and I do feel your pain), it is what it is. Yes... The final # confirmed of BMS students going to CMS is 53. Perhaps some will also get off the waitlist but if you're looking for peace of mind, you aren't going to get it. BMS is risky, it always has been. Perhaps now more than ever. The point is...
You have been forewarned that it is what it is. Decide what's best for you. But yes... The number is 53. Hopefully you all decide what's best for you and feel good about your decisions.

Again, I'm only saying this because I do feel that some of you still feel like things will change this summer. They won't change significantly. Who knows what next year will bring, but this year it was just over 50
 
With all do respect future BMS students (and I do feel your pain), it is what it is. Yes... The final # confirmed of BMS students going to CMS is 53. Perhaps some will also get off the waitlist but if you're looking for peace of mind, you aren't going to get it. BMS is risky, it always has been. Perhaps now more than ever. The point is...
You have been forewarned that it is what it is. Decide what's best for you. But yes... The number is 53. Hopefully you all decide what's best for you and feel good about your decisions.

Again, I'm only saying this because I do feel that some of you still feel like things will change this summer. They won't change significantly. Who knows what next year will bring, but this year it was just over 50

I agree, at least we know what it is. Nooowww for those of you still hesitant or thinking of not going due to the circumstances, please, give your spot away so a wait lister can take it, not to sound greedy haha 🙂
 
Last edited:
Would anyone happen to know what BMS students typically do if they don't matriculate into any medical schools post BMS program. Is the masters degree beneficial in other than just becoming more competitive for medical schools?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would anyone happen to know what BMS students typically do if they don't matriculate into any medical schools post BMS program. Is the masters degree beneficial in other than just becoming more competitive for medical schools?

Yes if anyone could give some information on this question that would be greatly appreciated!
 
Would anyone happen to know what BMS students typically do if they don't matriculate into any medical schools post BMS program. Is the masters degree beneficial in other than just becoming more competitive for medical schools?
The masters degree is not very beneficial when trying to find a job. What may be a little more beneficial is if you decide to finish off one of the HCAM degrees. I think those are more applicable to the workforce outside of medicine.
 
Since previous exams seem to be fair game, would you or another BMS graduate mind sharing the exams in one of the Facebook groups for those of us who want to see what the exams are like and what materials are covered. Atleast for the first quarter classes?? 🙂

I was looking for the Facebook group for this year's BMS program but couldn't find it, do you mind sharing the link?
 
Hey guys,

I have decided to attend elsewhere this coming fall. Best of luck to all of you - I hope you all kill it and get into CMS. Goodluck!
 
Hey everyone, I have decided to give up my spot to BMS this year. I will be attending my in state program, so hopefully one of you on the waitlist get some good news soon! I wish you all the best of luck and hope you all do great in the program.
 
Hey everyone, I have decided to give up my spot to BMS this year. I will be attending my in state program, so hopefully one of you on the waitlist get some good news soon! I wish you all the best of luck and hope you all do great in the program.
Hey guys,

I have decided to attend elsewhere this coming fall. Best of luck to all of you - I hope you all kill it and get into CMS. Goodluck!

Thank you for taking your times and letting us know about your decisions. It's nice to get updates. I wish you guys best of luck wherever you choose to go.
 
Thank you for taking your times and letting us know about your decisions. It's nice to get updates. I wish you guys best of luck wherever you choose to go.

I completely agree. Thank you for keeping us updated 🙂. Good luck to all of you!
 
I also decided to withdraw my acceptance. I hope it goes to one of you waitlisters! I wish everyone the best of luck throughout their med school journey 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Found out I'm on the wait list as well, to those that are withdrawing can you tell me which programs you are attending instead of this one?? Thanks guys and good luck to everyone
 
Hey everybody,
I have briefly browsed through all 20 (twenty!) pages of this thread, and as a former BMS and about-to-be current M1A student, I naturally have my "two cents" to through into the discussion. I think that the most important thing to keep in mind when reading about testimonials from former BMS students is that everything is extremely subjective. Those who have received an acceptance are going to be more willing to say that this program is great...blah blah blah. Those who haven't received an acceptance are more likely to accentuate the negatives. Yes, it is true that a smaller amount of people were accepted this year than was historically the norm (albeit it was 10-20 fewer people). However, I would like to emphasize to everybody who is about to start their BMS year the true purpose of a post-baccalaureate Master's program, such as the BMS year. A program like this will not hide deficiencies in extracurricular activities, clinical experiences, a proven desire to become a physician, or a poor MCAT for that matter. A post-baccalaureate's purpose is to prove to medical schools that you can handle a medical school curriculum and to show that some poor grades you earned during your undergraduate years do not adequately reflect your true potential. I think that some people lose sight of that core purpose, and then when they do not get accepted they get salty about it. Therefore, I can not emphasize enough the importance of your AMCAS application. PLEASE spend more time than you think you need to on reading through and editing everything. I honestly think that the amount of time and editing I spent on my AMCAS application was the difference in me getting four interviews in total for the application cycle as well as the difference in me getting an acceptance to CMS (check out Case Western Reserve's podcast on the AMCAS). Everybody gets an interview for CMS, and many people are going to have similar grades as you. So, the only thing that will eventually set you apart will be your AMCAS. Although there have been some negative things said about the BMS program (and I know I'm feeding into my own statement as I have been accepted), the BMS program truly is a great opportunity for those who just "messed up" one or two semesters in undergrad but just know that, if given a chance, he or she could prove that he or she would make a great physician. In closing, my advice to all of you new BMS'ers is thus: don't get discouraged, painstakingly work on that AMCAS, and study hard (harder than you have ever imagined).
 
Found out I'm on the wait list as well, to those that are withdrawing can you tell me which programs you are attending instead of this one?? Thanks guys and good luck to everyone
I know at least two (maybe three?) of us withdrew relatively recently after getting off the wait list for Tulane ACP
 
Would those who have been rejected/waitlisted be willing to share their uGPA/MCAT? (Or perhaps any additional insight as to what appears to be important besides BMS GPA based on this year's class)

It looks like it's pretty random, with the exception of those who perform extraordinarily well. I'm not too sure what to make of it.
 
Hi, I'm looking for a roommate at Woodlands. They said they still have 2Bd/1Bth apartments available. Please message me if you are also looking for a roommate. Male, very clean and don't own a pet and don't smoke. Thanks!
 
Does Tulane acp have a good success rate? I didn't apply cause my mcat was below their requirement
 
@QnnaQ Tulane's ACP is a different type of program than BMS. First off, you don't earn a masters degree. It's a very small program with strong linkage. I recommend checking out the Tulane ACP thread for more info, if you'd like!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wonder what the total number of students are. There's about 140 on Facebook so I'm guessing around 120 or so.
 
I wonder what the total number of students are. There's about 140 on Facebook so I'm guessing around 120 or so.

i think a large amount of the people in the facebook group were in BMS last year. they post a good amount. happy to have them share their experiences
 
can I just say I'm pretty freaked out about this upcoming year as a BMS'er. Spending an insane amount of money on this, less than 50% chance of making it into CMS, and just the coursework is truly scaring me. I need to embrace it and use it to my advantage, but right now my fear is just bugging me--mainly of the classes. I have never felt so nervous for a school program!! Is anyone else here feeling this way? I'm worried I won't be able to keep up in these classes or that I'll become too disorganized and lose track of what I'm supposed to be studying or something. I know it's really, really important to "know how you learn" and I am really hoping I can guess at what that is for these subjects and go for it. I think I'm worried that I'll like make a bunch of flashcards (just an example), then realize I should have been studying a different way because it's not clicking for me, but then it's too late, on to the next lecture... Anyway just seeing if there's solidarity out there in this :--)
 
Valid concerns but, as a former BMS and future CMS... I can tell you that they really ease you into the year. For example, the fall term was almost "easy." I say that because I don't think anyone who is in this program will find CMCB very difficult, and yes, biochem is challenging at times, but those are literally the only classes you have to worry about. Overall, fall term didn't feel much harder than undergrad. In the winter, Topics in Physiology picks up which is a BMS only course. I think those were some of the hardest exams of the year. Medical physiology also begins. Thus, winter is a bit tougher. Spring throws in neuro which most people find to be pretty hard so again, spring is harder. Once again, I can understand your concerns given this years lower numbers but being scared about the courses is another thing because you need to be able to handle these (and then some) if you eventually want to be a med student. If you were accepted to BMS, you must have demonstrated that you are intelligent and capable of handling these course. Just study hard and utilize all the help they offer!!!!! Good luck !


can I just say I'm pretty freaked out about this upcoming year as a BMS'er. Spending an insane amount of money on this, less than 50% chance of making it into CMS, and just the coursework is truly scaring me. I need to embrace it and use it to my advantage, but right now my fear is just bugging me--mainly of the classes. I have never felt so nervous for a school program!! Is anyone else here feeling this way? I'm worried I won't be able to keep up in these classes or that I'll become too disorganized and lose track of what I'm supposed to be studying or something. I know it's really, really important to "know how you learn" and I am really hoping I can guess at what that is for these subjects and go for it. I think I'm worried that I'll like make a bunch of flashcards (just an example), then realize I should have been studying a different way because it's not clicking for me, but then it's too late, on to the next lecture... Anyway just seeing if there's solidarity out there in this :--)
 
can I just say I'm pretty freaked out about this upcoming year as a BMS'er. Spending an insane amount of money on this, less than 50% chance of making it into CMS, and just the coursework is truly scaring me. I need to embrace it and use it to my advantage, but right now my fear is just bugging me--mainly of the classes. I have never felt so nervous for a school program!! Is anyone else here feeling this way? I'm worried I won't be able to keep up in these classes or that I'll become too disorganized and lose track of what I'm supposed to be studying or something. I know it's really, really important to "know how you learn" and I am really hoping I can guess at what that is for these subjects and go for it. I think I'm worried that I'll like make a bunch of flashcards (just an example), then realize I should have been studying a different way because it's not clicking for me, but then it's too late, on to the next lecture... Anyway just seeing if there's solidarity out there in this :--)
Valid concern that I am sure many of us felt coming into the BMS year. As Cmorr1 said, they do ease you into the year. I will just add a few things on top of that. You will have a good amount of people along on the ride with you. Use that to your advantage. Keep each other motivated. On top of that if you ever feel like you're lost, you have many people you can go to for help. I know many people who didn't do very well at first because they didn't exactly know how they studied best. With a few surveys they took from the academic specialists they were able to tweak the way they studied and were much more successful. You will be fine! Just stay determined and stay the course and it will eventually lead to an acceptance if you put in the hard work.
 
is there any disadvantage submitting your AMCAS a bit later to CMS as a BMS student? i havent submited yet. waiting to hear back from another SMP
 
I know many people who didn't do very well at first because they didn't exactly know how they studied best. With a few surveys they took from the academic specialists they were able to tweak the way they studied and were much more successful.

Surveys from academic specialists? Is this a service the school offers, and if so through which office? I wonder if I can do that before starting/early on... sounds pretty cool.
 
Surveys from academic specialists? Is this a service the school offers, and if so through which office? I wonder if I can do that before starting/early on... sounds pretty cool.

They beat a dead horse kinda when it comes to telling you how hard the program is, during the first couple weeks of school and through orientation, so they'll definitely tell you all about the academic specialists and how they can help you at that time.
 
I have a 2BR, 2Bth delux apartment at woodlands. Please message me if you are looking for a male roomate.
Rent is 635+gas+ electricity
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I need some advice. I live in downtown Chicago and I was wondering if it would be practical for me to commute to school from my home everyday? any advice?
 
I would highly suggest against this idea. I know some former BMS student did this and had to commute extra early. You don't want to worry about being late to an 8:30am test on top of worrying acing that test. You also want to be closer to campus in case you would like to go visit office hours (which is the best way to communicate to professors by the way). That's just me though and I'm sure some people were able to make it while living downtown but I really wouldn't risk it.


I need some advice. I live in downtown Chicago and I was wondering if it would be practical for me to commute to school from my home everyday? any advice?
 
I just go in off the waitlist!!!!! Oh how I've been waiting to post this!!!

With that said, im a clean non smoking female possibly looking for aplace near campus if anyones still looking for a roomate. Pm me if you're looking, its not for sure yet but a possibility ill need a place.

So excited!!!!