Rosalind Franklin BMS 2017-18

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
G

gibranmd2

deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for starting the thread!

I have a question regarding the biochem requirement. I called admissions today and they verified that biochem lab is required. I told them I am unable to take biochem lab because my school does not offer it, and they said to take a one-term research lab instead (as their website indicates). However, they were unclear in explaining what kind of research lab would be acceptable and advised me to send an email to grad admissions for clarification. They were also unable to explain why BMS requires biochem lab and CMS does not, and also advised me to send an email to grad admissions about that. I've sent the email and am now waiting for a response. In the meantime, does anyone have any additional insight? Thanks in advance!

Thanks for starting the thread!

I have a question regarding the biochem requirement. I called admissions today and they verified that biochem lab is required. I told them I am unable to take biochem lab because my school does not offer it, and they said to take a one-term research lab instead (as their website indicates). However, they were unclear in explaining what kind of research lab would be acceptable and advised me to send an email to grad admissions for clarification. They were also unable to explain why BMS requires biochem lab and CMS does not, and also advised me to send an email to grad admissions about that. I've sent the email and am now waiting for a response. In the meantime, does anyone have any additional insight? Thanks in advance!

I am thinking they are talking about possibly an upper division lab class. According to the 'class profile', it looks like there is an instate preference (41.6% of 2015 entering class). Average GPA is a lot higher than my gpa. I have a 3.08 gpa but i'll be taking some courses between January and May. Hopefully i can go up to a 3.12+. What do you guys think would be an ideal mcat score to get into this program? I am aiming to get above a 510+ on the January test.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am thinking they are talking about possibly an upper division lab class. According to the 'class profile', it looks like there is an instate preference (41.6% of 2015 entering class). Average GPA is a lot higher than my gpa. I have a 3.08 gpa but i'll be taking some courses between January and May. Hopefully i can go up to a 3.12+. What do you guys think would be an ideal mcat score to get into this program? I am aiming to get above a 510+ on the January test.

i'm in the same boat. i'm from texas with a 3.3 cgpa, 3.0 sgpa...my first mcat attempt was the first 2015 exam with a 487..yuck...i really want to get into this program, so i'm hoping to shoot for something above a 505...

i'm also thinking of taking ochem2 in the spring as well..and reporting scores...

Got rejected from CCOM. I really want to go to med school and eventually practice in Chicago, so I'm gonna apply to this program.

is it too late to take the mcat at the end of march (scores released in the first of may)? i have a 3.3 and am working full time. i'm registered for the january exam, but wonder if i have enough time?

to be honest, i don't work full 8 hours. i just sit around and have time to study, but my basics are lacking, and i'm self-teaching. is january 28 still ok?

is it too late to take the mcat at the end of march (scores released in the first of may)? i have a 3.3 and am working full time. i'm registered for the january exam, but wonder if i have enough time?

to be honest, i don't work full 8 hours. i just sit around and have time to study, but my basics are lacking, and i'm self-teaching. is january 28 still ok?

The application is due by June 30th so you should take the MCAT when you feel most prepared. Earlier would be a bit better but not by much I would think.

Anyone apply yet?

Hey guys! I tried asking a few other SDNers from previous threads but seemed to get no response. I was wondering if any of you knew how the RFUS BMS program looked at GPA. I know AAMCAS considers all classses on a transcript equally regardless if it's a retaken course. However, my university takes the higher grade if I retook a course and does not consider the low grade for GPA calculation (how the DO route would calculate GPA). Is that how the BMS program will look at my GPA as well? I have taken quite a few classes over again so this is a huge concern for me :( Thank you.

I'm pretty sure they are like AAMCAS and take all grades into account, so no grade replacement :/

A lot of applicants from last years thread turned their application in May-June and were accepted into the program. That said, you should be fine with a May score release date :) From what I understand, majority of their applicants are accepted in June anyways.

A lot of applicants from last years thread turned their application in May-June and were accepted into the program. That said, you should be fine with a May score release date :) From what I understand, majority of their applicants are accepted in June anyways.
are you currently in the program? how do you know this?

are you currently in the program? how do you know this?

Nope, I am applying this cycle and have been following the past BMS threads since last year. Just trying to help with your question based on what applicants/admits there posted.

The wise thing to do would probably email with the program's administration if you want a more direct answer :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, I am applying this cycle and have been following the past BMS threads since last year. Just trying to help with your question based on what applicants/admits there posted.

The wise thing to do would probably email with the program's administration if you want a more direct answer :)

Thank you! I'll do that! Have you applied to the program already?

man, i wish i had your stats, but i think your GPA might be high for this program? i've heard that probably your MCAT needs work; but your GPA might be too high for the program...

i have a 504/3.6 with no MD interviews, do you guys think this program is a good idea for me based on my stats? also is there a good chance of acceptance into the med school afterwards with my stats?

thanks for your input
I think you have a pretty good shot. You'll most likely get in the BMS, after that all that really matters is your performance during the BMS year.

When I applied I took the mcat in June. I was placed on the waiting list until my score came in around July. I wouldn't advise waiting that long as it is stressful figuring out a major move with only a few weeks, but it is possible if you must delay your exam.

i have a 504/3.6 with no MD interviews, do you guys think this program is a good idea for me based on my stats? also is there a good chance of acceptance into the med school afterwards with my stats?

thanks for your input
Can you retake the MCAT and get a higher score before June? If so, you probably won't need BMS! (Save some cash)

This is my third mcat score (I made some poor choices with timing and rushing into the first two exams), I honestly don't know if i can do better or if schools would even look at a 4th score :(

I guess you should apply these kind of programs and if you have time, try to retake the MCAT. They have a new AAMC practice test out.
If you get a good enough score, you can always not go. Of course if you have too much school/work or don't get the practice score you want, you can forget about the MCAT and go to whatever program you get into. Just something to think about!

Hi guys
I am in my 5th year of undergrad.

So everyone I'm in a bit of a dilemma, not sure exactly what to do. My current sgpa is 2.99 and my cgpa is 3.3. I am taking my mcat on january 28th, but I'm not sure I can do as well as I want to on it.

Option 1: Take the mcat on jan 18th and april 22nd and apply with sgpa of 3.0 and cgpa of 3.31. Take 1 course during second semester.
Option 2: Take the mcat on jan 18th only take 4 science courses (repeats) and apply with sgpa 3.1 and cGPA of 3.36.

What do you guys think?????

Last edited:

We're in the exact same situation, stats and everything lol.

Anyway, I think you should write the jan exam. and apply when you scores come out. It is rolling admissions so the earlier you apply the better.
You can write the exam in march as well and the update BMS with your new score. I'm not sure if they would bump you up higher from the wait list if your mcat improves though.
Atm I'm trying to call the admissions lady and ask her because I'm thinking of doing what I just said lol.

I guess you should apply these kind of programs and if you have time, try to retake the MCAT. They have a new AAMC practice test out.
If you get a good enough score, you can always not go. Of course if you have too much school/work or don't get the practice score you want, you can forget about the MCAT and go to whatever program you get into. Just something to think about!

thanks for your input, honestly going through the application cycle right now and seeing how emotionally draining it is, even if i were to do this again with a higher mcat i just feel like doing the BMS would give me a little cushion and help me get at least an interview at Rosalind Franklin

I dont think they really care too much about your undergrad gpa. I've heard its basically like a reset in terms of your ugpa.

On another note, D.O schools are ending their grade replacement policy. Im expecting these smp programs to get super competitive now.

Has anyone applied yet or been accepted/rejected? What were your stats?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Has anybody been successful in finding the number of graduates that were accepted into MD vs. DO vs. Caribbean?

Hi, does anyone know a person who did well in the program (maintained the GPA requirement, got an interview) and still did not get accepted? I am worried that I will start this program and the admissions committee will still thoroughly look through my undergraduate GPA since I have retaken many classes.
There is usually 1 or 2 people every year left in this position. It is rare, but does happen. I do believe there were other issues in their applications that we may not know of.

Sent from my SM-G930T using SDN mobile

Has anybody been successful in finding the number of graduates that were accepted into MD vs. DO vs. Caribbean?
I dont think we have those kind of stats yet, the program is trying to compile that data but its a recent undertaking i think

Hi, does anyone know a person who did well in the program (maintained the GPA requirement, got an interview) and still did not get accepted? I am worried that I will start this program and the admissions committee will still thoroughly look through my undergraduate GPA since I have retaken many classes.
your UG GPA wont be the reason they reject you , if they reject you

Hey! Has anyone heard back from the program yet? I applied in December and on 12/15/16 I got an email saying my application was officially complete and ready for review by the committee. They also told me that it would take 4-6 weeks and I would get a decision and it's been 5 weeks so I'm not sure why it's taking so long because in previous threads I've read that it usually only takes a couple weeks.

Also does anyone know if it'll hurt my chances to have an MCAT below 500? My GPA is high and I have very strong extracurriculars so I hope that helps. I'm retaking my MCAT in April but I'm just worried that I might get rejected just based off of the score because I didn't tell
them I was retaking. Thanks!

Last edited:
This program is not intend with low MCAT, it's for low GPA. I've spoken with admissions officers. I think you should just retake the MCAT. You are definitely competitive for med schools with your GPA.

Hey! Has anyone heard back from the program yet? I applied in December and on 12/15/16 I got an email saying my application was officially complete and ready for review by the committee. They also told me that it would take 4-6 weeks and I would get a decision and it's been 5 weeks so I'm not sure why it's taking so long because in previous threads I've read that it usually only takes a couple weeks.

Also does anyone know if it'll hurt my chances to have an MCAT below 500? My GPA is 3.75 and I have very strong extracurriculars so I hope that helps. I'm retaking my MCAT in April but I'm just worried that I might get rejected just based off of the score because I didn't tell
them I was retaking. Thanks!

This program is not intend with low MCAT, it's for low GPA. I've spoken with admissions officers. I think you should just retake the MCAT. You are definitely competitive for med schools with your GPA.

Hey thank you for your reply! It's just I really want to go to an MD schools and I'm not really sure if I can raise my MCAT to above a 508. Do they just not accept people with higher gpa's? Like even if I retake the MCAT? Since their average gpa accepted is 3.3 based on the website? I read all the other threads of previous years and a lot of people have said that they accept people with high gpa/low mcat or low gpa/high mcat!

I think when they say 4-6 weeks, it shouldn't count winter break since they weren't at the school then. That's my thinking anyways. If you're concerned, maybe you should contact them after 6 weeks has passed?

I think when they say 4-6 weeks, it shouldn't count winter break since they weren't at the school then. That's my thinking anyways. If you're concerned, maybe you should contact them after 6 weeks has passed?

Thanks so much! I'll try contacting them soon! Have you applied yet? I think my main concern is my MCAT lol I'm retaking it in April though so I'm also nervous that the class will be full by the time the scores are released . I really want to attend this program. Hoping to hear back soon.

Thanks so much! I'll try contacting them soon! Have you applied yet? I think my main concern is my MCAT lol I'm retaking it in April though so I'm also nervous that the class will be full by the time the scores are released . I really want to attend this program. Hoping to hear back soon.
you should be fine with an april mcat, I applied late may/early june and was fine, as did a lot of my peers who applied late, just try to score as high as possible on your MCAT

Hey all, does anyone know when the semester actually begins? Like is it end of July/beginning of August or later on in August? Thank you!
this past year, school began in the beginning of august

Cpt, have people from this year's class gotten interviews/acceptances yet?
interviews are currently going on right now, we arent sure when acceptances will occur

Reactions: 1 users

How did you get ahold of the admissions officers? Does that mean they're more forgiving towards a lower GPA if you have a very high MCAT?

How did you get ahold of the admissions officers? Does that mean they're more forgiving towards a lower GPA if you have a very high MCAT?

I also contacted the admissions office and they told me that was not the case. They said that they employ a very holistic review process and the program isn't just for students with lowers gpa's and high MCATs. Basically they said a high MCAT or high gpa is new guarantee for acceptance and they look at everything, so you shouldn't be too worried about your stats, the averages they post on the website for gpa are also very general.

Still waiting to hear back!

Has anyone else heard back yet?!

Has anyone applied yet? What were your stats? Decision?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

App complete on 12/21. 3.4/502 very good ECs but still no decision and it is past the 4-6 week mark. Definitely getting a little nervous. Anyone else??

App complete on 12/21. 3.4/502 very good ECs but still no decision and it is past the 4-6 week mark. Definitely getting a little nervous. Anyone else??
Dont worry you seem to have good stats, just give them some time, its still very early in the cycle for BMS apps

Still nothing after 7.5 weeks... should I contact the admissions office?

I ended up contacting them last friday. They said that I should hear back within 2 weeks so maybe 1 more week left? Seems like their admissions committee for this program meets only once a month. Maybe they took January off? I was complete in early December

I ended up contacting them last friday. They said that I should hear back within 2 weeks so maybe 1 more week left? Seems like their admissions committee for this program meets only once a month. Maybe they took January off? I was complete in early December

Thanks for the update!! Fingers crossed for all of us!

Same here and it's been 8 weeks for me, it seems everyone hasn't heard back within the 4-6 week time frame so I wouldn't worry. I contacted them and they were very unhelpful. All they said was they were in the peak of the application season and they were reviewing as many applications as they could and I should hear back asap.

Hey guys, just got an acceptance email! Took a bit over 9 weeks to hear back!

I actually got rejected last year when I applied in June with an expired MCAT score but took the GRE and was complete by late June. So they obviously like it if you apply again. I don't want to state specifics about myself but I'm the usual low gpa and high mcat applicant but with a red flag on my account.

Hope y'all hear back soon!