Rosalind Franklin BMS for Fall 2010/2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i think they'll be letting in people in march so its coming up. its a waiting game now

Melissa told me that committee meets once a week for decision and plenty of spots available. First set of acceptance has been mailed out....

Members don't see this ad.

nice! when you guys get in what kind of housing situation are you looking at? on campus or the woodlands?/

Melissa told me that committee meets once a week for decision and plenty of spots available. First set of acceptance has been mailed out....

Yup, I got accepted into BMS for 2011 last week. So, anytime for you guys waiting. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Was wondering how this application cycle is going for last year's class? (for those that are still following the thread). Good news anybody?

what are your thoughts on the on campus housing?

Yup, I got accepted into BMS for 2011 last week. So, anytime for you guys waiting. Good luck!

congrats on your acceptance. I called the admissions office today and was relieved to hear that my application is now complete (they finally received my third LOR).
waiting anxiously for the good news:)

Was wondering how this application cycle is going for last year's class? (for those that are still following the thread). Good news anybody?

I have been wondering the same thing.............didnt find any precise answers by doing the forum search though

I have been wondering the same thing.............didnt find any precise answers by doing the forum search though

They have not given out the first round of CMS acceptances yet for BMS students...I believe after physio / early or late spring is when the first batch of acceptances will be given out....we still have 3 or 4 more physio exams.

Last year, from what I heard, you needed an A in physiology and an A another CMS course....criteria may be different from year to year..

what are your thoughts on the on campus housing?

On campus housing is just fine, the buildings are pretty new. I got lucky with a single so I have all this space that I never use since I'm always at the school haha.

Hi everyone,
Looking to apply. I just wanted some clarification on a few q's. I applied to the regular MD program and I didn't get in as I had a low MCAT. I improved my MCAT to 27 and have submitted my app. However, I just got my MCAT scores, should I just e-mail them an update?

Also, I have heard that if you do well in this program and apply prior to starting it, you have an almost guaranteed chance of getting into the actual Med school provided you do well in the courses...is this true? I've heard that if you are a really bad interviewer or something like that you may be screwed but otherwise I heard it was pretty good and almost guaranteed. But does good performance in this program redeem a not so good UGPA in the eyes of the admissions committee for the RFU/Chicago Medical School for the MD program?

Last edited:
I would be careful when you say "guaranteed". Offiically they never had a guarantee policy but the only mark that would probably give you an excellent chance first round is if you had straight As and a good interview. In terms of whether or not they don't look at your GPA and MCAT, I don't think anyone can say for sure unless you hear it directly from a CMS admissions commitee member. THe only time I've ever heard that they dont' look at your GPA/MCAT is from former BMS students and you have take that with a grain of salt.

Last year they only had one round of admissions during the school year (late April) where they accepted about 30 people out of like 90 or so that applied to CMS and then they accepted some more over the summer, I think in the end it was around 70% of the entire class.

This program is not easy at all and you will have to come into this program ready as there are exams every 2 weeks.

If there is anyone worried about the level of difficulty, out of the 3 CMS courses we have had so far I only took phsyiology from freshman to senior year. I never had biochem or cell bio but I currently have straight As. So getting straight As is not unrealistic but will require more than just hard work in my opinion (i.e. getting good lecture notes and doing TONS of old exam questions - by tons I mean maybe the last 6-8 years to ensure that you truly understand the material)

Hi everyone,
Looking to apply. I just wanted some clarification on a few q's. I applied to the regular MD program and I didn't get in as I had a low MCAT. I improved my MCAT to 27 and have submitted my app. However, I just got my MCAT scores, should I just e-mail them an update?

Also, I have heard that if you do well in this program and apply prior to starting it, you have an almost guaranteed chance of getting into the actual Med school provided you do well in the courses...is this true? I've heard that if you are a really bad interviewer or something like that you may be screwed but otherwise I heard it was pretty good and almost guaranteed. But does good performance in this program redeem a not so good UGPA in the eyes of the admissions committee for the RFU/Chicago Medical School for the MD program?

I would be careful when you say "guaranteed". Offiically they never had a guarantee policy but the only mark that would probably give you an excellent chance first round is if you had straight As and a good interview. In terms of whether or not they don't look at your GPA and MCAT, I don't think anyone can say for sure unless you hear it directly from a CMS admissions commitee member. THe only time I've ever heard that they dont' look at your GPA/MCAT is from former BMS students and you have take that with a grain of salt.

Last year they only had one round of admissions during the school year (late April) where they accepted about 30 people out of like 90 or so that applied to CMS and then they accepted some more over the summer, I think in the end it was around 70% of the entire class.

This program is not easy at all and you will have to come into this program ready as there are exams every 2 weeks.

If there is anyone worried about the level of difficulty, out of the 3 CMS courses we have had so far I only took phsyiology from freshman to senior year. I never had biochem or cell bio but I currently have straight As. So getting straight As is not unrealistic but will require more than just hard work in my opinion (i.e. getting good lecture notes and doing TONS of old exam questions - by tons I mean maybe the last 6-8 years to ensure that you truly understand the material)

Thanks for the response. I appreciate it. I will just go ahead and apply and bust my behind off then! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
They have not given out the first round of CMS acceptances yet for BMS students...I believe after physio / early or late spring is when the first batch of acceptances will be given out....we still have 3 or 4 more physio exams.

Last year, from what I heard, you needed an A in physiology and an A another CMS course....criteria may be different from year to year..

thank you so much for your response........all the best to you :thumbup:

Hi guys,
I remember reading somewhere the required MCAT is 24, is that correct? typically what is the average score of a matriculant?

Hi guys,
I remember reading somewhere the required MCAT is 24, is that correct? typically what is the average score of a matriculant?

There is no MCAT requirement and the average score of a matriculant is 27 if I recall correctly, someone please confirm?

congrats on your acceptance. I called the admissions office today and was relieved to hear that my application is now complete (they finally received my third LOR).
waiting anxiously for the good news:)
I am also waiting...good luck...

This doesn't apply to admissions into CMS. I know of several M1a's (previous BMS students) who got straight B's and were accepted into CMS. And I spoke with Dr. Pullen, and last year that they accepted several students with one C. I think the end game comes down to having a 3.0+ GPA and a decent interview.

As for acceptance into the BMS program, there is no 24 MCAT requirement. I know some people with 22-23 that were accepted.

This doesn't apply to admissions into CMS. I know of several M1a's (previous BMS students) who got straight B's and were accepted into CMS. And I spoke with Dr. Pullen, and last year that they accepted several students with one C. I think the end game comes down to having a 3.0+ GPA and a decent interview.

As for acceptance into the BMS program, there is no 24 MCAT requirement. I know some people with 22-23 that were accepted.

Hi guys,
Need an honest opinion on my situation. I got a 22 MCAT and I have a 3.3 GPA. Decent EC's....do I have a shot in this program? If so, would I also be able to get into the CMS if I do good (3.0+) in the program? Am I out of luck for this years cycle as it is too late?

Hi guys,
Need an honest opinion on my situation. I got a 22 MCAT and I have a 3.3 GPA. Decent EC's....do I have a shot in this program? If so, would I also be able to get into the CMS if I do good (3.0+) in the program? Am I out of luck for this years cycle as it is too late?

You definitely have a shot at both acceptance into the BMS and CMS programs (impinging on your performance of course). And it's not too late to apply.

Can u please post yr scores? Thank you in advance.

I have a 32 MCAT and ~3.7 cGPA. This is a plan B for me though, btw... I know my stats are somewhat high for the usual applicant for BMS.

If one applied to the MD program, do they need to send in an official transcript to this program as well? Would have asked the admissions office, but no one has returned any messages thus far.

Last edited:
if you applied for the MD program and didnt get in then you can opt out to have your LORs and Transcripts transferred over to the BMS adcom( you even get a discount app fee )

Hey, I applied to RFU BMS recently (about 2 weeks ago). I didn't hear back from them so I called and left messgaes and emailed whether they had received my application. I heard back on thursday that they have everything except one of the LORs (which was mailed on tuesday so hopefully they will get it by monday). So now its the wait game for me :)
I really hope I get accepted here since its my top choice.

Congratulations on your acceptance. May I ask when did you apply and whether you received a complete email/phone call before they accepted you. And of course, please share your stats with us (we are all stat junkies, lol).

I think I have submitted everything, but for some reason I have not received any confirmation via e-mail or anything. Since I am really paranoid, I have also tried calling the office but I always get a voice message and leave a response....still haven't heard from them.

Any e-mail address or phone contact you guys have?

Thanks in advance! :)

if you applied for the MD program and didnt get in then you can opt out to have your LORs and Transcripts transferred over to the BMS adcom( you even get a discount app fee )
Oh, nice. thanks for letting me know. :)

I hope they got my app and it isn't lost in the mail. For the life of me, I cannot get a response from anyone via phone/e-mail.

Hey guys,

I found out 3 weeks ago I was accepted and my deposit was received several days ago. This program is at the top of my list so it looks like I'm heading to the Windy City :D If anyone has any questions feel free to ask!

For those of you who got in all ready let's start getting to know each other. If we live close enough to each other who knows maybe we can meet up before orientation :)

hey doctabryan: i am also on route to the windycity. any ideas where you going to live?? btw how did you know that your deposit was received? also do you know what track you got into?

hey xducexx,

Melissa Knox emailed me confirming that my deposit was received. I mailed my deposit and letter of intent on a Monday from California and I received the confirmation email Friday.
Do you have a private email address? I'd be more than happy to tell you more! :)

Melissa is awesome, contact her office to answer all questions. She can answer questions regarding your application status, and tell you your track once admitted. I also got a deposit-received email around a week after mailing it, and just recently got a financial aid email.

doctabryan...ya shoot me an email: [email protected]

i am also from california as well, maybe we can figure out the logistics on how to move across the US :)

I think I have submitted everything, but for some reason I have not received any confirmation via e-mail or anything. Since I am really paranoid, I have also tried calling the office but I always get a voice message and leave a response....still haven't heard from them.

Any e-mail address or phone contact you guys have?

Thanks in advance! :)

hey rls,
I have been getting paranoid as well. I emailed them yesterday [email protected]and got the following response today:

Dear rebel1,

Your application is complete and is the screening process. Please contact us if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

CHP Admissions

So Imo shooting them an email will get you a quicker response than calling the admissions office (I havent had much luck with calling at least).
Good luck to us all :)

hey rls,
I have been getting paranoid as well. I emailed them yesterday [email protected]and got the following response today:

Dear rebel1,

Your application is complete and is the screening process. Please contact us if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

CHP Admissions

So Imo shooting them an email will get you a quicker response than calling the admissions office (I havent had much luck with calling at least).
Good luck to us all :)

Will do! thanks! Let's keep our fingers crossed!

HOw long is review process / screening ? after how many weeks u heard good news??

HOw long is review process / screening ? after how many weeks u heard good news??

I have no clue. I had my app in before they had started giving out acceptances, so the length of time between my personal application and acceptance probably is not a good predictor for anyone else.

But if it helps you at all, I applied mid december I believe, accepted the last week of february.

Any good news my friendS? Any one received acceptance???

I have no clue. I had my app in before they had started giving out acceptances, so the length of time between my personal application and acceptance probably is not a good predictor for anyone else.

But if it helps you at all, I applied mid december I believe, accepted the last week of february.

Thank you Donnie1310.

Does anybody know if we are allowed to switch certificate tracts once we are accepted???

Still waiting! Good luck friends and congrats to those of you who have received your acceptances.:xf:

Does anybody know if we are allowed to switch certificate tracts once we are accepted???

Speaking of, what tracks did everyone apply for? I'm into the healthcare administration & mgmt track.

Speaking of, what tracks did everyone apply for? I'm into the healthcare administration & mgmt track.

I am in the healthcare administration track too. I heard couple good things about it:

1) You could get a Master's in Healthcare Administration if you complete all the courses so by the time you finish med school not only do you get an MD, but also a MA--residency padding stuff!

2) I've also read its not that time consuming and a good GPA booster (granted getting an A in this class, but doing crappy in physiology won't help you get into CMS). Nonetheless I think it's better to get an A in this class than like a B in Nutrition or something

Congrats to everyone accepted. I was just accepted too. Has anyone who has been accepted heard anything about the campus housing yet??

Congrats to everyone accepted. I was just accepted too. Has anyone who has been accepted heard anything about the campus housing yet??
Congratulations on your acceptance MD please. Did u receive an E-mail or how did u know about acceptance? can u please post yr stats?

I called Malissa 10 times, e-mailed her as well but she never replied. I think I am getting deniel here.

Hang in there dude. Last year people we accepted as late as July! With that said look into other programs too. Don't put all your eggs in one basket ya know?

heres a question. when you guys are saying "advisers" as in "contact your advisers" do you mean melissa or someone in the adcom?? or are we assigned specific advisers??