Roseman or SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psb15

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So... I am currently waitlisted at Buffalo, USC, New England, and accepted at Roseman. And rejected by UCSF

But I honestly wasn't impressed with the school. I really loved their curriculum, but felt it was a gamble going to a school that doesn't even have a clinic really set up yet.

Being a California resident, I feel like going to an SMP for a year and then reapplying will boost my chances. I know what really hurt my chances are low GPA for the first two years of undergrad. Any recommendations?

My stats are: DAT: 24
GPA: 3.4

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

So... I am currently waitlisted at Buffalo, USC, New England, and accepted at Roseman. And rejected by UCSF

But I honestly wasn't impressed with the school. I really loved their curriculum, but felt it was a gamble going to a school that doesn't even have a clinic really set up yet.

Being a California resident, I feel like going to an SMP for a year and then reapplying will boost my chances. I know what really hurt my chances are low GPA for the first two years of undergrad. Any recommendations?

My stats are: DAT: 24
GPA: 3.4

Thanks.
So what is the point of applying to Roseman if you aren't even going to go to it if accepted?

Reactions: 2 users
Go anyways. You learn more hands on after you graduate according to every single dentist I have talked to. Its not worth wasting time. It is not promised that you will get into the school you want next year.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Go to Roseman, no doubt. Don't even think about taking on more debt to do a SMP.

Reactions: 1 user
Take a year off, work your ass off to maybe get into dental school the next year, or work your ass of as a D1 in the fall?

Simple really.

Roseman. This shouldn't be a question, really. What if you do the SMP and don't get in anywhere else? Look at all the time you've wasted. At the end of the day, all things said and done... I don't think it really matters what school you've gone to as to how successful of a dentist you'll be. It's really on you to take advantage of opportunities a school has, get your name out there, develop your personal ability and demeanor. In my opinion, the school is secondary to all of that.

At the end of the day, all things said and done... I don't think it really matters what school you've gone to as to how successful of a dentist you'll be.

Q: Who taught Michael Jordan how to play basketball?

A: Nobody cares

Reactions: 7 users
For the love of all that is holy... Go to Roseman!!! You will waste time, money, effort and the possibility of never getting in again if you go the SMP route. What if you bomb the SMP?

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

Did i mention that you might never get into dental school again?

Reactions: 2 users