Roseman University of Health Sciences (Entering 2014)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Feb. 25th will be at Henderson...I just got my invite =D
I'm worried now..I haven't heard anything and my score was posted the same day as yours...

Members don't see this ad.

Awesome!! Congratulations! What time did you receive the invite?

I got my invite around 6 pm pacific time of the day my PCAT was posted...If anything, give Dr. Park a call. She was very helpful!

Members don't see this ad :)
I really find the subject of anatomy really interesting and would love to take the class, but I feel like it is too hard since it involves so much memorization. My goal in life is hopefully to either go to Pharmacy School or Medical School and I feel that I will do poorly in my biological classes in the future. So far I have done good in my Calculus and Chemistry classes, but I am getting nervous that when I take my biological science classes I will do bad. Is there anything you guys can recommend for me to do. Are there any careers in the health department that make a good amount of money like around as much as a pharmacist makes or doctor that do not involve biological science or involve minimal knowledge in that field? I really want to do something good with my life to help others and make a good living at the same time, but after going to anatomy for two lessons I feel very depressed that I can not do anything in the health department in the future because I am not good at this one thing. Please help me in any way you can and if you can make any good recommendations for me.

I really find the subject of anatomy really interesting and would love to take the class, but I feel like it is too hard since it involves so much memorization. My goal in life is hopefully to either go to Pharmacy School or Medical School and I feel that I will do poorly in my biological classes in the future. So far I have done good in my Calculus and Chemistry classes, but I am getting nervous that when I take my biological science classes I will do bad. Is there anything you guys can recommend for me to do. Are there any careers in the health department that make a good amount of money like around as much as a pharmacist makes or doctor that do not involve biological science or involve minimal knowledge in that field? I really want to do something good with my life to help others and make a good living at the same time, but after going to anatomy for two lessons I feel very depressed that I can not do anything in the health department in the future because I am not good at this one thing. Please help me in any way you can and if you can make any good recommendations for me.

What pre reqs did you take for anatomy? Have you done o chem yet?

What pre reqs did you take for anatomy? Have you done o chem yet?

the only prereq required for it was college english and I took it. I am currently in general chem II and physics I. I took general chem I and calc before.

So your taking chem II, physics I, and anatomy?

I am assuming you have limited experience with the different type of science classes?

For chem II get into the habit of practicing problems. You gonna get a lot of math. Don't try to blind memorize everything, understand where the stuff comes from and you can derive what you need. Like instead of memorizing your rate reaction graph and formulas, understand where its coming from and you can derive it.

For physics, its gonna depend on your teacher on how he wants to approach it.

For anatomy, let me guess, you got a week or two to learn the skeleton. Don't try to blind memorize it. If you try, its like memorizing a page of random numbers and you gonna forget it in a week and it will overwhelm you having to remember it, while keeping up with the muscles and what not.

Step back and look at what your learning and put it into context and organize it before you try to memorize it. Be able to answer questions that requires using all the knowledge.

I'm worried now..I haven't heard anything and my score was posted the same day as yours...

Definitely check your junk folder! My invite was in my junk folder for 4 days before I saw it.

I know this sounds silly but I got an anatomy colouring book and it made a world of difference for me. They have one for physiology too but it helped me with the stupid class. I got a C on the first exam but after the colouring book I was able to eek out an A- for the class. Silly I know, but I swear by it.

Http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0805350861

So your taking chem II, physics I, and anatomy?

I am assuming you have limited experience with the different type of science classes?

For chem II get into the habit of practicing problems. You gonna get a lot of math. Don't try to blind memorize everything, understand where the stuff comes from and you can derive what you need. Like instead of memorizing your rate reaction graph and formulas, understand where its coming from and you can derive it.

For physics, its gonna depend on your teacher on how he wants to approach it.

For anatomy, let me guess, you got a week or two to learn the skeleton. Don't try to blind memorize it. If you try, its like memorizing a page of random numbers and you gonna forget it in a week and it will overwhelm you having to remember it, while keeping up with the muscles and what not.

Step back and look at what your learning and put it into context and organize it before you try to memorize it. Be able to answer questions that requires using all the knowledge.

yeah physics and chem i am going to do practice problems and try to learn the material as best as i can.

the thing i do not understand is how do i put all those bones into context and organize them and answer questions about them. It seems really confusing.

Definitely check your junk folder! My invite was in my junk folder for 4 days before I saw it.

I know this sounds silly but I got an anatomy colouring book and it made a world of difference for me. They have one for physiology too but it helped me with the stupid class. I got a C on the first exam but after the colouring book I was able to eek out an A- for the class. Silly I know, but I swear by it.

Http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0805350861

the coloring book idea seems like a good thing to do. ill give it a go and see how it is.

I don't think you even have to buy it. If you look online I'm sure you can find a PDF version of some sort.

It sounds like some science subjects may not be a forte, and that is completely okay. There are other ways you can be a part of the healthcare system. Fortunately, the healthcare system is a composition of various instrumental professions, not just doctors or pharmacists. Have you considered going into healthcare administration? I just completed my Masters in Health Administration, and while you can still be a part of the healthcare system, you will not have to study any biological sciences (ie. anatomy) at all. It is much shorter and cheaper to obtain a Masters degree in this field, and with years of experience, you can make a pretty good living. I think it can be a great investment towards a future in healthcare. Hope my two cents were not offensive. Good luck!

It sounds like some science subjects may not be a forte, and that is completely okay. There are other ways you can be a part of the healthcare system. Fortunately, the healthcare system is a composition of various instrumental professions, not just doctors or pharmacists. Have you considered going into healthcare administration? I just completed my Masters in Health Administration, and while you can still be a part of the healthcare system, you will not have to study any biological sciences (ie. anatomy) at all. It is much shorter and cheaper to obtain a Masters degree in this field, and with years of experience, you can make a pretty good living. I think it can be a great investment towards a future in healthcare. Hope my two cents were not offensive. Good luck!

Also, memorization will not get you very far in any professional program. You must kick that habit and devise a way to understand the true context. The "WHY" and not the "WHAT". Perhaps if you changed your studying habits, you may discover a method that will help you understand the material better...?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, memorization will not get you very far in any professional program. You must kick that habit and devise a way to understand the true context. The "WHY" and not the "WHAT". Perhaps if you changed your studying habits, you may discover a method that will help you understand the material better...?

for anatomy how can i memorize the why, all i see is memorization.

for anatomy how can i memorize the why, all i see is memorization.

Yeah, anatomy does have a lot to do with memorization. I was speaking more for organic chemistry and/or physiology. My recommendation for getting through anatomy is to re-write your notes in a way that makes better sense to you. Go over your notes multiple times until they click better. Use the internet and its resources. There are plenty of online flash cards and study guides that will help you as you study for bone structures and tissue types. I would take full advantage of those resources, in addition to the notes you get from your class. You really have to dedicate a lot of time to a class like anatomy, but it is definitely doable. I can say, though, that if you don't put in the time, you will find it very difficult to progress in the class. Hope this helps.

yeah physics and chem i am going to do practice problems and try to learn the material as best as i can.

the thing i do not understand is how do i put all those bones into context and organize them and answer questions about them. It seems really confusing.

the coloring book idea seems like a good thing to do. ill give it a go and see how it is.

My biochem teacher called out the entire class once for straight memorizing everything but have no understanding of what we are doing. Sadly it was pretty much true, most of the class just memorize stuff and regurgitate out the answer from the book and have no idea the meaning of what we are saying.

Try looking at the questions at the end of the chapter. They tend to have questions that requires you to be able to bring together all the stuff to answer them.

As for context...pretend your learning the digestive system. Instead of memorizing a list of details for the stomach, stop for a moment and ask your self what function does the stomach have, and what does it need to do its job. If you can answer that, you will noticed that you know most of the parts of the stomach by understanding its function and what it has to do its job.

I just got my acceptance and I want to get a head start since I am free for the next 5 months other then going to work. Any first year on here can suggest me any materials that can help me study to get a head start? It would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: 1 user
I just got my acceptance and I want to get a head start since I am free for the next 5 months other then going to work. Any first year on here can suggest me any materials that can help me study to get a head start? It would be greatly appreciated.

I think the one thing that would have helped me is memorizing Top 200 brand/generic names and major category they fall into. (ie: proton pump inhibitor, SSRI, etc)

That and Nevada pharmacy laws. LOL... Those are tough (at least for me since I was out of state and had not worked in a pharmacy for like 10 years)! Yeah, I had to take that exam twice. Nailed it the second time, though!

Honestly. You should just enjoy your free time. You'll have enough time to study when school starts.
To those wondering about memorizing and understanding. The test in pharmacy school (the hard ones) are not regurgitating answer question. You will have to understand a lot. You won't be able to just look and boom know the answer quite a few require you to sit back and thinkkkkk. Make connections

And you'll have to memorize tons of things. But honestly it's manageable as long as you don't slack it.
Good luck to everyone. I'll be at the march 11th interviews :)

Hi everyone,

I live at California.
Please give me some advice. I am sooooo worried now. I got invitation for Utah and Nevada On February 18th. I reply to officer at February, 19 th at 12: 30 A.M in the morning because that is the time I checked my email. ( really late at night after a long day at school).

My first choice is Febuary 25th at LAS
2nd choice is March 11th at LAS( Las vegas)

However, until this point, I have not receive any confirmation letter from the officer yet. I am crying you know…? Because I already packed for tomorrow driving there- my family took days off to go to support me- I took days off for schools and work- I booked the hotel for tomorrow and Tuesday- i rent a car for me and my family too. If i don't receive the letter confirmation back- I can not go you know. I emailed the officers 2 times, but I guess it is on the weekends. I don't want to cancel my traveling plan.

Do anyone have the same situation like me ? What is the final result :-(. I don't want to cancel everything at all. I will make the phone call to officer tomorrow. Hic hic...

Hi everyone,

Please give me some advice. I am sooooo worried now. I got invitation for Utah and Nevada On February 18th. I reply to officer at February, 19 th at 12: 30 A.M in the morning because that is the time I have checked my email. ( late at night after long day at school).

However, until this point, I have not receive any confirmation letter from the officer yet. I am crying you know…? Because I already packed for tomorrow driving there- my family took days off to go to support me- I took days off for schools and work- I booked the hotel for tomorrow and Tuesday. If i don't receive the letter confirmation back- I can not go you know. I emailed the officers 2 times, but I guess it is on the weekends. I don't want to cancel my traveling plan.

Do anyone have the same situation like ? What did you do to solve the problem? :-(
You should probably call Dr. Park's office and speak to her on the phone.

I called her this morning- But I guess today is Sunday. Therefore, none is there.

Yeah, she won't answer until Monday morning. Really all you can do is wait until first thing tomorrow morning and give her a call.

Did you receive the letter confirmation from her? how long does it take from the day you receive the invitaion? How is the interview? If I answer longer then 3min, do you think they like it? Should I answer short ?

Did you receive the letter confirmation from her? how long does it take from the day you receive the invitaion? How is the interview? If I answer longer then 3min, do you think they like it? Should I answer short ?
I got a confirmation email from them. It was pretty quick (< 1 day). I thought the interview was great. They didn't ask any off the wall questions, just why you would work at this school, why pharmacy etc. Just try to answer the questions as well as you can. Don't give a simple yes or no, elaborate. That being said, you don't want to drone on forever either. If you feel like you have answered the question sufficiently than move on. It seemed to me like it was more about being able to communicate than what your actual answers were. I know it sounds simple but just try to relax and make it a conversation and you should be fine.

Last edited:

I received my confirmation in one day...did you check your spam folder? I think the best thing to do is to give Dr. Park a call tomorrow and explain your situation. I hope everything works out for you!

Dont worry friend, no panic. Let's call Dr. Park in Henderson, Nevada campus and talk with her personally, she is a super nice lady, who is usually available by phone n she is the one who confirms the invitations in Nevada, I personally called her right after I recieved the invitation email, and made sure about the confirmation, then later I officially emailed her too. Good luck
Hi everyone,

I live at California.
Please give me some advice. I am sooooo worried now. I got invitation for Utah and Nevada On February 18th. I reply to officer at February, 19 th at 12: 30 A.M in the morning because that is the time I checked my email. ( really late at night after a long day at school).

However, until this point, I have not receive any confirmation letter from the officer yet. I am crying you know…? Because I already packed for tomorrow driving there- my family took days off to go to support me- I took days off for schools and work- I booked the hotel for tomorrow and Tuesday- i rent a car for me and my family too. If i don't receive the letter confirmation back- I can not go you know. I emailed the officers 2 times, but I guess it is on the weekends. I don't want to cancel my traveling plan.

Do anyone have the same situation like me ? What is the final result :-(. I don't want to cancel everything at all. I will make the phone call to officer tomorrow. Hic hic...

Does anyone know how many students they have accepted already?

Got my acceptance call on Saturday!! Going to the South Jordan campus. If anyone lives in davis county and wants to setup a carpool let me know.

Honestly. You should just enjoy your free time. You'll have enough time to study when school starts.
To those wondering about memorizing and understanding. The test in pharmacy school (the hard ones) are not regurgitating answer question. You will have to understand a lot. You won't be able to just look and boom know the answer quite a few require you to sit back and thinkkkkk. Make connections

And you'll have to memorize tons of things. But honestly it's manageable as long as you don't slack it.
Good luck to everyone. I'll be at the march 11th interviews :)
Will you be interviewing? I will be there too!

Hi all, I am Tam Vo, Roseman student class of 2016 (entering 2013)
Congratulation on you accepting to Roseman Class of 2017. To those who are from out of state and looking for a place to live temporary for the MBA program prior to the official year school starts in September. You can inbox me! I have a new two bedrooms fully furnished condo (built in 2008). You can rent 1 or 2 rooms because I will be in California for my summer rotation. Please let me know if you have any questions! Thanks
My email is: [email protected]

Good luck to everybody interviewing at the Henderson campus today. :)

Goodluck to you all interviewing today. Anyone has ideas about accommodation info near campus....rental weblinks, costs per one or two rooms, rooomate info, etc..pls any relevant info will be appreciated..thx

Yup, good luck! I gave up today's interview spot so you guys have more chances of getting in! And I'll be going to Vegas this weekend anyways. Tell me how it went

Three new pharmacy schools in California starting this year , is that right ?

1- California Health Sciences University (Fresno, CA)
2- Keck Graduate Institute (Pomona , CA)
3-West Coast University (Hollywood, CA)

Just had my interview in Nevada, and I felt like I could have done better. In fact, I felt like I might have bombed it. There were at least 50 students interviewing this session. This was my first pharmacy interview, so I will take this experience and and move forward. I refuse to dwell on the negative.

Just had my interview in Nevada, and I felt like I could have done better. In fact, I felt like I might have bombed it. There were at least 50 students interviewing this session. This was my first pharmacy interview, so I will take this experience and and move forward. I refuse to dwell on the negative.
That's the best perspective to have. Use everything in life, the ups and downs, as learning experiences. Hopefully it wasn't as bad as you think.

Three new pharmacy schools in California starting this year , is that right ?

1- California Health Sciences University (Fresno, CA)
2- Keck Graduate Institute (Pomona , CA)
3-West Coast University (Hollywood, CA)

That's true.... They r not accredited yet tho.

Why do u think it went bad.. I'm sure u did ok.. Who did u interview with? What they ask?

Why do u think it went bad.. I'm sure u did ok.. Who did u interview with? What they ask?

Let's just say I wasn't as articulate as I would have liked to be in answering the questions. I found myself stumbling over words or grasping for the right words to say. Nerves probably played a major part. I interviewed with the Dean and a P1 student. They asked you the typical questions..."Tell me about yourself", "Why Roseman?", leadership experience and professionalism, and situational questions. Well, I have to catch a flight. I hope everybody else on here who were at the interview sessions rocked theirs.

Let's just say I wasn't as articulate as I would have liked to be in answering the questions. I found myself stumbling over words or grasping for the right words to say. Nerves probably played a major part. I interviewed with the Dean and a P1 student. They asked you the typical questions..."Tell me about yourself", "Why Roseman?", leadership experience and professionalism, and situational questions. Well, I have to catch a flight. I hope everybody else on here who were at the interview sessions rocked theirs.

I don't think mine went that well either... Basically, sometime during the interview, the Dr. sat back and didn't even ask me questions.
The p1 student and her looked at each other and she goes " I..have no more questions". ( After she asked me about my bare minimum gpa, and lacking pharmacy experience, and what I would do if I am not accepted........)
The P1 student asked me a couple more questions that I couldn't answer strongly.

Judging from the Dr's body language-slouched back and disengaged-I don't think she found me interesting at all.

:( just kinda sad right now.

I don't think mine went that well either... Basically, sometime during the interview, the Dr. sat back and didn't even ask me questions.
The p1 student and her looked at each other and she goes " I..have no more questions". ( After she asked me about my bare minimum gpa, and lacking pharmacy experience, and what I would do if I am not accepted........)
The P1 student asked me a couple more questions that I couldn't answer strongly.

Judging from the Dr's body language-slouched back and disengaged-I don't think she found me interesting at all.

:( just kinda sad right now.
Keep your head up, you never know what opportunities can pop up when you least expect it.

Hi everyone, just got an interview invite a few days ago (going to Utah March 20th) and I have a TON of questions, so I apologize in advance:

1) Partial reimbursement: I read that you get "partial reimbursement" from your deposit if you decline classes at a certain time. What's the process on deciding how much you get back?

-Particularly, if I find out I got into a program after putting in the deposit in let's say June how much could I get back from the $1000 deposit?

2) Driving/Getting around campus: I've also read that it's pretty much mandatory to have a car while attending Roseman; is this necessarily true or are there students who don't drive?

3) Residency: I'm hoping to return to California for my residency after my third and final year if I were to be accepted into Roseman. I know California's residency programs are crazy competitive and a factor many programs look at are your grades from pharmacy school; if Roseman uses a pass/fail system, how will residency programs decide if I'm fit other than leadership/clinical experience? How realistic are my chances at returning to CA for residency?

Thank you all very much and best of luck to you all. I look forward to meeting you all within the field of pharmacy in some form or the other :)

P.S. If anyone is planning on going to Utah interview on March 20th, please let me know! I'm looking for people to split cabs/super shuttles/etc as well as new friends!