ROSEMAN vs. LECOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HAHAHAHAHA

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got into both schools and I am having a hard time deciding between the 2 because they are both relatively new. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

IM A CA RESIDENT

Members don't see this ad.

i interviewed at both schools and was also accepted to roseman. if i were in your shoes i would take roseman. however, after the interviews at each school i can say that i was more impressed with lecom and was really hoping for an acceptance there. but how they have handled everything since december 1 has really changed my opinion of lecom. they have been very deceptive to their applicants and interviewees. just look at the threads for the people on the waitlist to see this. two people can call them on the same day with the same exact question and get two completely different responses. i don't find this to be a very professional approach to running a professional school. roseman, on the other hand, has been very honest about everything and i have never had any trouble communicating with them. i have spoken with a few of their first year students and all of them love the program and faculty so far. also, they were extremely encouraging and professional when i called to withdraw my application, which i think is extremely classy. roseman will be a great program, but i have my doubts about lecom. another thing to consider is that roseman at least has initial accreditation, which lecom does not.

i interviewed at both schools and was also accepted to roseman. if i were in your shoes i would take roseman. however, after the interviews at each school i can say that i was more impressed with lecom and was really hoping for an acceptance there. but how they have handled everything since december 1 has really changed my opinion of lecom. they have been very deceptive to their applicants and interviewees. just look at the threads for the people on the waitlist to see this. two people can call them on the same day with the same exact question and get two completely different responses. i don't find this to be a very professional approach to running a professional school. roseman, on the other hand, has been very honest about everything and i have never had any trouble communicating with them. i have spoken with a few of their first year students and all of them love the program and faculty so far. also, they were extremely encouraging and professional when i called to withdraw my application, which i think is extremely classy. roseman will be a great program, but i have my doubts about lecom. another thing to consider is that roseman at least has initial accreditation, which lecom does not.

:thumbup: Well said!! I agree!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Roseman

It's the only dental school in Utah, so there's guaranteed patients while you're in school and after wards if you plan to stay local. :D

Roseman

It's the only dental school in Utah, so there's guaranteed patients while you're in school and after wards if you plan to stay local. :D
It's not gonna be the only one by next year!! University of Utah is opening a new dental school next year with a tuition as cheap as 28000$ a year and it also has way better reputation the Roseman. Roseman students better watch out for next year hahaha

It's not gonna be the only one by next year!! University of Utah is opening a new dental school next year with a tuition as cheap as 28000$ a year and it also has way better reputation the Roseman. Roseman students better watch out for next year hahaha

A dental school that as of yet doesn't exist has a better reputation than a school that exists?

People that have had dealings with Roseman have all spoke very highly of it.

You forgot to mention that their first dental class is going to have a grand total of 20 students.

A dental school that as of yet doesn't exist has a better reputation than a school that exists?

People that have had dealings with Roseman have all spoke very highly of it.
University of Utah has always maintain a great reputation when it comes to their health profession college (medicine, nursing, pharmacy) therefore its reputation has always been the biggest in Utah and well known to all the states nearby. One would assume that their dental school will follow the same path. It has always been named the best university in Utah (you can look it up if you want) Roseman is a private college that most people in Utah don't even know about. I'm a Utah resident so i know this for a fact. The fact that University of Utah is a state school will also greatly benefit its student as well, insanely low tuition. I'm not bashing Roseman (i'm sure it's a great school) but just saying that when the U of U dental school open, most likely it will be the place where the best candidate apply. It is what it is.

Last edited:
You forgot to mention that their first dental class is going to have a grand total of 20 students.
Yes, that is true. However, they say they will enroll as many as 50 students by the second year :) which will also be the year that i'm applying to dental school.

Yes, that is true. However, they say they will enroll as many as 50 students by the second year :) which will also be the year that i'm applying to dental school.

Meh not really worried about it. I actually think UofU will have a tougher time clinic wise given how saturated the SLC area is with dentists. Either way, I think two schools can service the city and surrounding area just fine given how large the population of SLC + suburbs are.

Yeah, that is possible but i still think UofU will still do fine. There are plenty of low income ppl in SLC so i think there will still people willing to go to the school for a low cost dental procedure :D i just hope that the school won't make students find their own patient lol that would be sucky

So the school in Maine, and this school in Utah... any other new schools opening up next year?

I wonder how long this 1-2 new schools a year thing is going to last?

AT Still Missouri School of Dentistry and Oral Health a.k.a. MOSDOH.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are both relatively new schools, so i think that price should also be a large factor...

Roseman:
Tuition = 58K
Fees = 16K
Total = 74K
http://www.roseman.edu/node/201

LECOM:
Tution = 48K
Fees = 5K
Total = 53K
http://lecom.edu/financial-aid.php/School-of-Dental-Medicine-Tuition-Fees/49/2205/621/2486

So you would save roughly 85K over the course of 4 years by going to LECOM.

Also, LECOM has been educating DO's and PharmD's since 1992, while Roseman opened up a PharmD program just in 2001. So as an establishment, LECOM has been around longer and may have more resources in the future.

I could personally care less, but just some food for thought.

How? Rich parents? HPSP? NHSC? Just curious

No. I wish I were rich, but just HPSP I'm afraid.

I'm government property now. aha

It's ok though, I'm feeling good about the choice. I'm kind of excited actually.

So three next year!?!

lol I am so glad I'm not taking out loans.

There were actually a lot more people going to dental school in the early 1980s then there are now.

No need to freak out...........yet.

If you want actual numbers:
1983 had an all time high of 5,756 dental graduates.
2009 had 4,873.

There were actually a lot more people going to dental school in the early 1980s then there are now.

No need to freak out...........yet.

If you want actual numbers:
1983 had an all time high of 5,756 dental graduates.
2009 had 4,873.

Yepp, I've heard the same. I admit that I none-the-less used to get a little caught up in the new school paranoia though.

It's why I say that frequenting these forums is a bad idea. If it's not new schools, then it's mid-levels, corporate dentistry, or falling insurance reimbursement.

Yet for some reason I visit either sdn or dental town kind of like facebook now. I've never been good at following my own advice.....

I would definitely choose Roseman! I did not apply to LECOM because I have only heard negative things about the school. Cost definitely is a huge deciding factor though. Roseman is a bit more expensive but at the same time cost of living and gas prices are a lot cheaper in Utah than Florida. Rosemans fees are higher because they buy top of the line instruments and unlike most schools they are not rented to you they are actually YOURS which in my opinion is a huge advantage. I know the first years got the brand new VALO light which is supposed to be the best on the market, they also recieved very nice loupes and hand-pieces. From what iv seen Roseman is a great school. From the curriculum to the professors everything seems top-notch.. Not to sure about LECOM, but then again I never interviewed there. Im just going off second hand info. Good luck with your choice! Hopefully ill see you next year!

Thanks everyone for all the helpful feedback, Another question i have

Now that NBDE is pass fail will it be possible for applicants from newer schools (Roseman, LECOM) to obtain specialty residencies

Im just wondering because when i interviewed at other more established schools i noticed they had many opportunities and resources for their students to build a more well rounded application in dental school which is primarily going to be the criteria for choosing applicants.

I personally think it'll be a little bit more difficult to go into residency from a new school already with this pass/fail stuff. I mean if there is no way to tell if somebody does better on the NBDE than the other, i would assume most school would just look at the University's name first then consider the rest later.

I personally think it'll be a little bit more difficult to go into residency from a new school already with this pass/fail stuff. I mean if there is no way to tell if somebody does better on the NBDE than the other, i would assume most school would just look at the University's name first then consider the rest later.

That makes no sense to me. I would think they would look at things like LOR's, things you did outside the classroom like volunteering, research, etc and conduct interviews. I don't think residency programs are so simple as to look at a schools name and judge a candidate based on that.

I never said that they will solely just look at the University's name but what i meant was that most schools will look at the name first and consider what kind of dentists that the University has produced in the past. Some schools have strong reputation for clinic where others strength is in research/academic. Of course, they will look at the the whole picture but i personally thing the FIRST (not the only and certainly not the biggest factor) thing that they will look at is the name. That's what i meant. Btw, they have to review your application first before they invited you to an interview, that's the situation i was referring to.

New schools will not have a problem sending students to specialty programs. First of all, just this year to specialize in OMFS you now have to take a test that will allow schools to judge you compared to other OMFS applicants. I think in the future all specialty programs will be moving to this. Second of all, If you are able to get through dental schools passing all of your exams will a 90% (like Roseman), pass both NBDE's, do well on entrance exams (OMFS is the only one right now that makes you do that), have good letters of rec's and be a solid interviewee there is no reason you wont specialize in your desired field. Roseman also has an Ortho program in Nevada that hopefully pulls a student or two from Rosemans class. So I wouldn't worry about going to a newer school. I would concern yourself with what school you will be able to excel at.

So LECOM has been stringing people along on the waitlist or something? Why the bad feelings?

So LECOM has been stringing people along on the waitlist or something? Why the bad feelings?

You should check out the lecom waitlist thread in the specific schools forum. People on there seem to be getting different information about the wait list no matter who they call. Its pretty crazy and slightly unprofessional if you ask me.

Lecom or any school is not obligated to tell you anything regarding ur app status (ESP over the phone) so anything they tell you is a favor. I don't agree with it but just sayin

Last edited:
Lecom or any school is not obligated to tell you anything regarding ur app status (ESP over the phone) so anything they tell you is a favor. I don't agree with it but just sayin
Agreed they're not obligated to tell you anything. But when they ARE giving people information, it shouldn't be inconsistant and constantly changing every month. If you're going to do people a favor, at least give them some concrete factual information instead of stringing him along.

yup.

it's a matter of closure for me. if they choose to reject me, it's fine, but i'd like to get a definite answer soon so i can focus on reapplying and stuff. they've been stringing the waitlist along for quite some time with false info

where did you end up going?
do you think you made the right decision?

I have gotten accepted to both lecom and roseman and waitlisted to a few schools on dec 3rd.

I would choose Roseman. I interviewed at LECOM last year, although the school wasn't finished so I wasn't able to see the clinics, and I am not a fan of the PBL curriculum. I interviewed at Roseman yesterday and was thoroughly impressed with just about everything. The clinics, staff, curriculum, the area, and the way they structured the lecture rooms. Also, those mountains.....

Roseman only accepts 20 students this year?