Roseman vs. TX-San Antonio (IS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

natural_log

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Roseman - Private
  • Pros:
    • Friendly/supportive/non-competitive class environment
    • P/F
    • The staff seems very supportive
  • Cons:
    • Cost (especially compared to in-state tuition)
    • I've heard very negative/concerning things about the school and the program all over SDN
  • Neutral:
    • No residency programs so I could potentially be given harder cases in dental school
UTHSCA - In State
  • Pros:
    • In State $$$ and close to home
    • Has a better reputation (so I've heard)
    • I can continue networking in Texas, where as of now, I plan on practicing
  • Cons:
    • I've heard that UTHSCA is characteristically overtly competitive
    • Ranked grading
    • Had a really horrible interview day and had some strange conversations with students that make me wary of the school
  • Neutral:
    • Several residency programs at the school... more opportunity to shadow but potentially get simpler cases in dental school
It's been a difficult decision to think on because I'm not necessarily leaning one way or another. I would love to get some of your opinions about your experiences at the schools and what you would do if in my shoes!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You do realize that Roseman will run you about 500k? I honestly want to address some your concerns. Roseman is really good at being really convincing on the interview day. With such a high price tag they almost have to be. So be wary of that. Your comment about getting more simple cases at SA shouldn’t actually be a con in my opinion. As a dental student it will be a great enough challenge to get good and fast at just the simple procedures. Roseman has an extreme patient shortage so although you might be able to place on or two implants you won’t be doing the volume of fillings, crown and bridge and just basic restorative as you would at SA. You want to come out of dental school well versed in the basics rather than having a couple of advanced procedures twice. The obvious choice clinically, didactically, and financially is San Antonio, but if you want to buy into the Roseman cake go for it. Just remember you really will be buying it, literally.
 
Last edited: