Ross 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi All!
I'm new to SDN forum. Got my acceptance for Ross a few weeks ago and I am super excited. Just wanted to know how many people actually plan on going or if they are going to wait to hear from the other schools they applied to?
I applied to 3 other schools: univ of florida, tufts, and tuskegee univ.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All!
I'm new to SDN forum. Got my acceptance for Ross a few weeks ago and I am super excited. Just wanted to know how many people actually plan on going or if they are going to wait to hear from the other schools they applied to?
I applied to 3 other schools: univ of florida, tufts, and tuskegee univ.

Hi dreid1492, Ross was the only school I applied to, so I will def be attending this May!

I just went to an info seminar for Ross yesterday and I'm extremely interested in this school. I'm applying in February :) We'll see what the future holds! Congrats newbie on getting in! That is fantastic! Are you going to accept?

Thanks everyone! I actually got accepted for May, but my fiancee just found out that he won't graduate with his PhD until August...so I'm thinking I'm going to defer to the Fall class.

And plus I am waiting to hear from the state schools that I applied to.

Hi dreid1492, Ross was the only school I applied to, so I will def be attending this May!

I am really excited about being done early! I like the idea of a fast paced curriculum. I sent an email asking if there is space in the May class and they said yes....
If I don't get accepted to any of the other schools I will just go in May instead of September.

Congrats everyone! Its amazing down here! Feel free to ask me any questions! :)

I just went to an info seminar for Ross yesterday and I'm extremely interested in this school. I'm applying in February :) We'll see what the future holds! Congrats newbie on getting in! That is fantastic! Are you going to accept?

I think I did it in reverse hahah I got accepted before I attended any of the information sessions. I'm going to attend the one coming up in Dec in NJ. I have tons of questions. Ross is a great school that doesn't get as much credit as it should. I'm still waiting to hear from the other schools I applied to...but either way they are still in my top 2 choices. I'd love to stay in the states so that I can be closer to my boyfriend:love:....but living on a tropical island doesn't sound too bad either!

for anyone looking to attend an info session but can't get to any of the scheduled sites (or even if you can) the webinars they hold are fabulous and very informational! they include former students too!

Yayy!! Congrats!!!

I'm most likely going in May!! :) So must to do before then!! So excited!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone tell me if calculus based physics is required, or is regular college physics with lab sufficient?

I did not take calc based physics and my advisors didn't mention taking it.

Can anyone tell me if calculus based physics is required, or is regular college physics with lab sufficient?

Typically they want "trig based" physics, but you have to check with the individual school. Your best bet is to call or email admissions at whatever school you are interested in. Good luck!

Hey Ross dudes.

I'm contemplating applying this summer.

My main sticking point, which is a total deal-breaker for the school, revolves around bringing my dogs. They're both pit bull mixes, and from what I've read, are prohibited from entering the country.

I spoke with one of the admissions reps last month at a school visit, and she implied that there might be ways around this. As in, fixing the travel papers so both dogs were classified as 'mixed breed.'

Equally, I have a friend from the islands who is convinced that you can pretty much pay the customs folks down there to look the other way.

Both of these options seem incredibly shady, but I'm trying to flush out all the options.

Do you folks down there have any pertinent information that might help?

Totally off-topic for a second, but Dsmoody, I just realized you're from Allentown- I'm going there on December 7 for a concert at Crocodile Rock. Lol.

Back on topic, I was told that I couldn't bring my dogs until after my first semester, and that all first-semester students are required to live on campus. Have you been told otherwise?

Hey Ross dudes.

My main sticking point, which is a total deal-breaker for the school, revolves around bringing my dogs. They're both pit bull mixes, and from what I've read, are prohibited from entering the country.

I spoke with one of the admissions reps last month at a school visit, and she implied that there might be ways around this. As in, fixing the travel papers so both dogs were classified as 'mixed breed.'

Equally, I have a friend from the islands who is convinced that you can pretty much pay the customs folks down there to look the other way.

Both of these options seem incredibly shady, but I'm trying to flush out all the options.

can't say that it's the same for st. kitts, but here's the story for grenada:

pit bulls are illegal (doesn't mean they aren't on the island though). some people get them here by calling them english bulldogs or bulldog mixes (not a lot of people-especially here-are familiar with them) BUT some customs people will not budge on the matter and will declare them illegal. if this happens, the animals are not allowed out of their crates, even to go to the bathroom. basically school officials are required to come to the airport and take the dog directly to the school clinic where it has to live in a cage until the student can get it off the island. :(

Totally off-topic for a second, but Dsmoody, I just realized you're from Allentown- I'm going there on December 7 for a concert at Crocodile Rock. Lol.

Back on topic, I was told that I couldn't bring my dogs until after my first semester, and that all first-semester students are required to live on campus. Have you been told otherwise?

so i was definitely told over and over that you were required to live on campus 1st term, but i definitely "know" a 1st term student there right now who just adopted 2 dogs and lives off campus, so not exactly sure how it really works

I am first semester and live off campus because I brought my 2 dogs. I had to write an official letter stating why I couldn't leave them in the states for 1 semester.
Depending on the size of the imcoming class the dorms may fill up. Many people
in my class had to live off campus first semester because the dorms were full.

The school prefers the first semesters to live in dorms because it is an easier adjustment
to life on the island that way.
I had no problems being off campus, so for me it is great because now I don't have
to move all of my stuff at the end of the semester.

I am first semester and live off campus because I brought my 2 dogs. I had to write an official letter stating why I couldn't leave them in the states for 1 semester.
Depending on the size of the imcoming class the dorms may fill up. Many people
in my class had to live off campus first semester because the dorms were full.

The school prefers the first semesters to live in dorms because it is an easier adjustment
to life on the island that way.
I had no problems being off campus, so for me it is great because now I don't have
to move all of my stuff at the end of the semester.

How far from campus do you live? Do you have a car..roomate? Was it hard to find a decent was it hard to find a decent place that allowed pets?? I rather live off campus but so worried about finding a.decent place..getting a car.. living alone..etc

How far from campus do you live? Do you have a car..roomate? Was it hard to find a decent was it hard to find a decent place that allowed pets?? I rather live off campus but so worried about finding a.decent place..getting a car.. living alone..etc

The school gives you access to a housing website that has all approved apartments for
students. THe site lists whether or not they are pet friendly.
I picked one close to school in West Farm / West Haven because I don't want a car.
I prefer to walk to school and I just take the bus to the grocery store.
You can find places with or without roommates. There is a section on the website that
has roommates wanted.
It is a lot easier than it sounds.
If you don't like the place once you get here you can always move after the semester is over.

Any other questions just ask...

Hey Ross dudes.

From what I have heard is that it essential matters if they look like a pit or not. There are tons of Pits down here and even bred here, so I am not sure what the issues with bringing them in especially if they are fixed since they are down here anyways. But whatever.

The island dog that I adopted, well I get him in January once I live off campus, I am sure has some pit in him. Not to much that I shouldn't have a problem in the states getting an apartment, but yea.

So, if you dogs look like pits then I doubt they will let them in, but if there head is more like whatever they are mixed with then you maybe ok.

I would not take the chance as the animal will be euthanized from my understanding.

I would live on Campus first semester, personally. Your schedule 1st semester is crazy busy. It will be nice to be able to just walk home for a break and not have to drive etc. You also can go look at the places where you want to live once you know the island. I would be miserable living close to Campus. Its not where I want to be. I am living more on the other side of the island, but only about 10 mins from school. I want to be able to go home and not see the school.:laugh:

Also living on campus first semester gives you time to find a nice car, get used to the island culture without being thrown into etc.

JMHO. I love my dorm room. I am excited to live off campus next semester although I will miss it since I will be in 1st then since I am in VP now.

Did you have a choice to stay living on campus for your 1st semester after vetprep jlm?

Hello all! I'm working on my resume to attach to my Ross Application, and I was wondering how everyone else did theirs... like a 1-2 resume or more like an extensive CV? If you did it like a CV how far back did you go? Just college - not high school? Hope someone responds... thanks! :)

Hello all! I'm working on my resume to attach to my Ross Application, and I was wondering how everyone else did theirs... like a 1-2 resume or more like an extensive CV? If you did it like a CV how far back did you go? Just college - not high school? Hope someone responds... thanks! :)
I just did a regular resume and it seemed to work fine for the admissions committee. I included a professional summary in my resume.

If you decide to do a CV, include stuff from HS only it was impressive or significant to your application.

hope this helps.

jalyndani - it sounds like we have a lot in common! I am also engaged with a dog... well actually we'll be married before Fall Semester (which is the one I'm applying to). If I end up going to Ross I hope we can live off campus, or at least work it out somehow... I cannot live without my pup for a whole semester - unacceptable! lol I am submitting my app this weekend & still waiting to hear back from 2 US Schools

I'm going to be starting in May 2012. I'm married and have a 2 year old. I'm been wondering if it would be best to live on campus and wait until I've been there a semester for my family to move to the island.

Join our Facebook group. Ross SVM May 2012 Class

Hey Everyone!
Im hoping to start in May at Ross and all my materials have been in review for about a week now :)
Could anyone by chance tell me the approximate time frame between Ross receiving the application materials ("review in process") and being contacted for an interview or not; as well as, (if granted an interview) the time frame between the interview and acceptance or deny letter?
Thank you!

I joined the group. It looks like there are only 3 people in the group. Are there any other places that have more people who are going to be attending?

Really? You must be looking at the wrong one, there are at least 30 members so far. I wi pm you my Facebook and I can send you the link if you want.

I'm going to be starting in May 2012. I'm married and have a 2 year old. I'm been wondering if it would be best to live on campus and wait until I've been there a semester for my family to move to the island.

That is my whole hesitation towards Ross...I have a 5 year old, and I am nervous about making such a large move with him being a single parent. I have learned it is best to be direct...did you talk to someone at Ross about the school/daycare they have on campus for students and faculty?

Hey everyone! So, I was accepted for the September class. From all of my 'research' before applying, Ross was one of my top choices mainly because of all of the clinical experience you get before you even go back to the states for semesters 8-10. Now that I'm talking to a few of my friends who are already in vet school in the US, they're all saying things about Ross not being 'as good' and things like, "Oh, you didn't get into a school in the states, so you just went down to the Caribbean for school." I know most of this is just word of mouth and rumors, but I had to check into what others thought as they were applying to Ross/before they attended. I definitely don't want to let rumors affect my decision! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated :).

If anyone has a specific reason that you decided on attending Ross also, I'd love to hear it! I'm sure most of you know of the 2 weeks to put a deposit down, and that's a lot of money that I just want to be sure I absolutely love the school. I was accepted into Edinburgh's 4 year program as well so far, and I'm leaning more towards Ross... so any insight would be great!

Hey everyone! So, I was accepted for the September class. From all of my 'research' before applying, Ross was one of my top choices mainly because of all of the clinical experience you get before you even go back to the states for semesters 8-10. Now that I'm talking to a few of my friends who are already in vet school in the US, they're all saying things about Ross not being 'as good' and things like, "Oh, you didn't get into a school in the states, so you just went down to the Caribbean for school." I know most of this is just word of mouth and rumors, but I had to check into what others thought as they were applying to Ross/before they attended. I definitely don't want to let rumors affect my decision! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated :).

If anyone has a specific reason that you decided on attending Ross also, I'd love to hear it! I'm sure most of you know of the 2 weeks to put a deposit down, and that's a lot of money that I just want to be sure I absolutely love the school. I was accepted into Edinburgh's 4 year program as well so far, and I'm leaning more towards Ross... so any insight would be great!

I applied because its faster, it has more hands on experience than any other program Ive researched and its only in total 20k$ more than my in state school (UF). I also like the idea of living in a tropical paradise without the distractions of mega malls, clubs, concerts etc., that entice me in Orlando. Ive asked the veterinarians I worked for (all UF alum) and its sounds like its just academic snobbery when it comes to the rumours you speak of. They told me that stupid people get into every vet school, but that they eventually drop out when its too hard or they dont pass licensing. As simple as that. If Ross was so terrible, then 94% of their class wouldnt pass the board exams, ya know? Thats higher than some US schools!

I just applied a week ago to Ross for the May class. Havent heard anything yet, but I think its a great option if my in state school doesnt pull through. I would be proud to be a Rossie! :D

This mindset was partially correct a few years ago. Ross was originally started as a for profit school that would basically accept almost anyone. They have some strict rules on dropping people that do poorly to weed out any candidates that perform poorly at Ross.

Since then, Ross has risen up to a high academic teaching standard and is comparable to most of the U.S. schools. I would dare say it's even better than some U.S. schools because they will teach you more because they want to graduate smart people to raise their reputation. Ross is somewhat easier to get into than most of the state side schools but it's not because they are just looking for money but rather because people are extremely afraid of moving to an island in the Caribbean. I honestly am partially afraid of the idea but I don't think I would have too much of a problem with it. My doctor (actual physician) went to St. George and said the islands were amazing and I wouldn't regret going.

If you can get over the fact you will be very far away from home, Ross offers a better program (in my opinion), more clinical experience, less costs (compared to a friend at LSU), and it's accredited so if you freak out, you could transfer out. I have good GRE scores, lots of experience and recommendation letters, and below average GPA. I am hoping Ross will be my ticket into the field where I know i will perform well.

Thanks, thunder and cbruck! I just needed to hear it from other people :).

Good luck on your applications!

Sooo....I'm just waiting for the phone call from my regional coordinator to schedule my interview; I got the email the other day. I'm shooting for the June 2012 class.... anybody else out there?

Hi there! I'm am filling out the application to begin May 2012. Are you still thinking of going to Ross?

I was accepted to Ross for May 2012!

Does anyone know if there is any point in going to the SGU interview still? I was pretty set on Ross and I don't know a lot about SGU other than they have lower admission standards.

Is Ross or SGU considered better?

Does anyone know if there is any point in going to the SGU interview still? I was pretty set on Ross and I don't know a lot about SGU other than they have lower admission standards.

Academically, both schools are on par with each other. the things to look at and base your decision on are the "other" things about the schools such as lifestyle, island life, academic support, class size, cost, 4th year options, housing, transportation, etc. It's probably worth your while to take a closer look at SGU before declining just so that you can make the most informed decision about what is right for you. Congrats on the acceptance though!

Academically, both schools are on par with each other. the things to look at and base your decision on are the "other" things about the schools such as lifestyle, island life, academic support, class size, cost, 4th year options, housing, transportation, etc. It's probably worth your while to take a closer look at SGU before declining just so that you can make the most informed decision about what is right for you. Congrats on the acceptance though!

Ya, I just wish there was some easy way to compare them. They seem extremely similar. Oh well. Thanks for the response.

So after being slapped down from WSU this year I decided to go with Ross, which I secretly wanted to attend instead....I am waiting for an interview call or email or something, my application has been in review for two weeks on Monday........how long does it take? I spoke with Tom Hueller on Friday and he said there were still seats available in the may class. Fingers crossed!:thumbup:

Ya, I just wish there was some easy way to compare them. They seem extremely similar. Oh well. Thanks for the response.
Based on a limited sample of two people, I noticed that the Ross graduate was far better skilled directly out of vet school. The St. George grad is learning quickly, but was pretty shoddy in the clinical skills department. Who knows though... it could be the individuals, or where they spent their clinical year, etc.

I am in the same boat (kind of). I have been accepted to both and I'm having a hard time comparing. It seems that Grenada has more to "do" on the island.

Ross has been accredited longer. And seems to have cheaper flights.

And if I am looking at housing right at SGU you have to share an efficiency with another student the first term (I like my own space.)

Have you found any other big things?

I am in the same boat (kind of). I have been accepted to both and I'm having a hard time comparing. It seems that Grenada has more to "do" on the island.

Ross has been accredited longer. And seems to have cheaper flights.

And if I am looking at housing right at SGU you have to share an efficiency with another student the first term (I like my own space.)

Have you found any other big things?

You can get lucky one of my starting class mates is in a triple or a suite whichever it is considered. There are 3 rooms (individual) in the dorm room and i think they share one bathroom (though don't quote me on that). I am in a double and it isn't so bad. Sometimes you get paired with a vet student some of us got paired with med students etc etc. Some get lucky and their roommates don't show or you have the option that if they are available to get a single.

The only other thing i have heard is that our locals actually like us where some people have said (or I've heard) that the ross locals are not as pleasant but because i haven't been there i can't say one way or the other. My undergrad college roommate went to ross and tried to transfer to sgu because she didn't like it and thought the student support at sgu was far better. Just depends on who you ask. I have another friend who graduated almost a year ago from ross and loved it. I have only been at SGU a month and unless something tragic happened i wouldn't bother to attempt to transfer out to the states, why leave beautiful weather and beautiful beaches. :)

The big thing i think to consider is can you handle only have 2 weeks in between semesters...? That was my draw to sgu because i couldn't imagine not having a summer off after all the classes. My brain needs a little bit more of a break then 2 weeks. But others.. love it and that is that :)

You can get lucky one of my starting class mates is in a triple or a suite whichever it is considered. There are 3 rooms (individual) in the dorm room and i think they share one bathroom (though don't quote me on that). I am in a double and it isn't so bad. Sometimes you get paired with a vet student some of us got paired with med students etc etc. Some get lucky and their roommates don't show or you have the option that if they are available to get a single.

The only other thing i have heard is that our locals actually like us where some people have said (or I've heard) that the ross locals are not as pleasant but because i haven't been there i can't say one way or the other. My undergrad college roommate went to ross and tried to transfer to sgu because she didn't like it and thought the student support at sgu was far better. Just depends on who you ask. I have another friend who graduated almost a year ago from ross and loved it. I have only been at SGU a month and unless something tragic happened i wouldn't bother to attempt to transfer out to the states, why leave beautiful weather and beautiful beaches. :)

The big thing i think to consider is can you handle only have 2 weeks in between semesters...? That was my draw to sgu because i couldn't imagine not having a summer off after all the classes. My brain needs a little bit more of a break then 2 weeks. But others.. love it and that is that :)

I apologize in advance for the long post!!!!
I have been driving myself crazy trying to make the right decision... I feel like my pro and con lists for the two are about even. Faculty numbers/credentials seem similar, technology seems similar.... I work with a vet who graduated from Ross so originally it was my top choice then I wavered back and forth since then. I feel I would rather be on Grenada and the campus is beautiful, but I know a lot more people who went to Ross.

Okay so new thoughts since my last post.... Ross has an AHAA Teaching Hospital. How much does that matter... I know Deg told me the small animal facilities are nice at SGU with Digital Rad and Ultrasound.....

Can anyone comment on whether Ross has student support services like counseling, office hours, study skills, etc. I have heard SGU has?

Ross has an in-room phone with a U.S. area-code and free calling to U.S. .... and provide you with a local cell to put pre-paid minutes on. Does SGU do this?

Lastly.... I like the idea of being able to live closer to campus and not have a car :/

...6 months longer, i dont really think that counts ;)

You're right, I will give you that! I guess I just mean it's been around longer :p