Ross Acceptances for January 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

LoveTheMICES

DVM
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello All!

After 7 years of undergraduate course work, stalking this website and hard work, I am going to Vet school! Low GPA, low GRE, multiple rejection letters etc, but Ross is giving me a chance to accomplish my dream.

Now who is coming with me?!!?! January 7th 2013 we are getting white coats 🙂
 
That's awesome! I'll be applying to Ross for Sept 2013 or Jan 2014 if I don't get in the states this cycle! If you don't mind, could you share your stats with me via a post on here or a PM? It's difficult to see how competitive I am when they don't really advertise that information!

And just so you know, I know a few Ross grads who loved it there and wouldn't take it back for the world!! And I know a few vets who went to Penn and UF who both admit that they asked the Rossies for help on many things during their clinical year because the Rossies were more advanced with hands-on tasks than they were. Good luck to you down there =)
 
Thank you! Check your PM box 😉

Anyone else with questions feel free to ask! I have been trying to apply for the past 3 years, hit many roads bumps, and been in school for way to long haha, but learned a lot. Keep the faith! This dream is attainable!!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congratulations on your acceptance to Ross!!! I have worked with several doctors who attended Ross and they've all had positive things to say about the university - which has piqued my curiosity in their program. I hope you have time to respond to PM regarding their application process. Again, congratulations!
 
Ross was on my list for schools to apply. I'm thinking it will become my TOP school to apply to. I have had roadblocks and am getting up there in age. I feel Ross would be an awesome school to attend.

Congrats!! I hope I can join you soon!
 
Hey it's okay! I am getting old too! Not a fresh out of undergrad myself.. but whatever! It's cool, still apply!!!
 
How exciting! I actually just finished my interview this week! How did everyone else's interview go??
 
Hello All!

After 7 years of undergraduate course work, stalking this website and hard work, I am going to Vet school! Low GPA, low GRE, multiple rejection letters etc, but Ross is giving me a chance to accomplish my dream.

Now who is coming with me?!!?! January 7th 2013 we are getting white coats 🙂
You as well?! I feel like Im the only one in that boat with overcoming adversities and feeling like its impossible to get in. Actually completed interviews earlier this week..any advice during the waiting process??
 
Nice! Congrats for making it this far. My advice is be patient and occupy yourself with something else haha. It took them over 7 weeks to reply back to me. But it was good news. Also be cognizant of the semester breaks they take. Where are ya from?
 
You as well?! I feel like Im the only one in that boat with overcoming adversities and feeling like its impossible to get in. Actually completed interviews earlier this week..any advice during the waiting process??

Same here! Everytime I got ahead and on my way to accomplish my dream, something would smack me back down. LoveTheMICES offers hope and shows we can make it happen!
 
Hey I'm accepted for the Jan 2013 class as well, but I'm wondering did you also apply to SGU? If you did did you get in? And how are you deciding between the two schools. I'm still waiting to hear back from SGU but I'm pretty confident I'll get in and I'm kind of leaning towards SGU for a number of reasons.

My reasons for SGU over ross right now is having summers off so I can get experience, I'm trying to go into zoo medicine so the more experience I can get the better. I also really like the option of going to Perth, Australia for my clinical year for the same reason-- it'll be great for zoo medicine. From what I've seen of both schools I also like the SGU campus a lot.

What are your pros/cons for each if you're deciding between them? It's such a tough decision!
 
Hey there! I was originally only going to apply to SGU. I heard great things about the place from students there and the chances of actually getting in where good. I was very skeptical about Ross at first, but I talked to a lot of people there and met a Vet doing her residency here at Harvard, where I work, and she was really encouraging me. Then after that everything I have been hearing about Ross Vets compared to others where great.

Also I am in a bit of a time crunch for getting my DVM for various reasons, so the accelerated program at Ross did it for me. I have been in school for a while and working full time and going to school part time for like 4 years. So only having to go to school year round is a relief to my current schedule haha. I have a lot of work experience and it varies so we differ in that aspect. I am just so ready to give it my all and get it done NOW. I have also heard better things about the locals+student interactions vs the other island, the flights are cheaper and they just got a new dean who I love! She was/is a big part of the OneHealth initiative and the school in general seems more into giving back to the island that they have planted a school on, and active about doing work abroad. They have this thing called the Josh project where they encourage sick kids in hospitals. And I don't mean goats.

The Perth option is cool, but I am actually going to NSW for an internship next month for 4 months haha, so I will get my Aussie fix, but do your research and choose what's best for you. If you want to get extra experience while in school sounds like summers off is best for you.

p.s. I was still going to apply to SGU as a back up, but I got offered an interview very soon after I applied to Ross and just had a good feeling 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would anyone mind sharing their resume with me? I'm in the process of applying, but I don't quite know how in depth my resume should be. For all you that have already applied, was yours more of a resume or a CV? And how far did you go back? How detailed were you?
 
Hey E. I made my resume crazy detailed and included everything and clubs and sports I did, volunteer stuff and went as far back as my high school ranking and every job inbetween. Minus one food store job I had that was really irrelevant. But if you do not have a lot of relevant things to put on your resume, then add the irrelevant ones, because then at least it looks like you are responsible and held down a job...
 
Why is Ross's attrition rate so high? They claim it's because students get homesick and quit. I don't believe that!
 
I will let you know when I get there. I can only speculate right now. I don't plan to fail. I will keep you posted.
 

Not trying to hijack the thread, just wanted to say:

Looking back on those threads brings up memories. So many names that I recognize but never see anymore. 🙁 Most of them are in 4th year Clinics right now. They are almost there! :hardy:

Ok, back to your regularly schedule program.
 
Congrats! Would anyone mind sharing their GPA and GRE scores??? Thank you 🙂

Hey I'm accepted for the Jan 2013 class as well, but I'm wondering did you also apply to SGU? If you did did you get in? And how are you deciding between the two schools. I'm still waiting to hear back from SGU but I'm pretty confident I'll get in and I'm kind of leaning towards SGU for a number of reasons.

My reasons for SGU over ross right now is having summers off so I can get experience, I'm trying to go into zoo medicine so the more experience I can get the better. I also really like the option of going to Perth, Australia for my clinical year for the same reason-- it'll be great for zoo medicine. From what I've seen of both schools I also like the SGU campus a lot.

What are your pros/cons for each if you're deciding between them? It's such a tough decision!
 
I got in with a 3.6, BS Biology Graduate and 1200 GRE. Athlete all 4 years of college, did research during college, 3000 hours vet experience, and 2000 hrs animal experience. LOVEDDDD the interview, so easy to speak with my interviewee!! He was so genuine and actually seemed to care about having a conversation with me, rather than putting me on trial. I am hoping to be accepted state-side, but if not, I will be joining you guys in 2013!
 
Does anyone know anything about a minimum GPA requirement for either school? I can't seem to find anything listed officially.😕
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
congrats on getting in, even though I'm a little late on this post ( your getting your white coat next month!) I will be joining you down at Ross in may, although I am only accepted to the vet prep program. I'm looking at it like oyu though- at least they are giving me a chance. good luck in january
 
hey everybody i was wondering if anybody could comment on my stats and let me know if you think i have a chance or not? I have already been rejected by Mississippi state and Florida and really freaking out I won't get any interviews

Female, 23 years old, Florida resident
Applied: Mississippi, Auburn, North Carolina, Florida
Rejected: Mississippi, Florida
Waiting: North Carolina, Auburn

Academics:
Graduated with B.S. in Biology from FAU with minor in psychology
Cumulative GPA: 3.53
Science GPA: 3.55
Last 45 h: 3.53
GRE: took it once Verbal 152, Math 150, A 3.5

Veterinary Experience
3500+ hours with small animal hospital i worked at

Animal Experience
7 hours volunteering with horses and mentally and physically deficient children
2 hours on a donkey/miniature pony/sheep farm run by a veterinarian
3 hours at a Dairy farm with animal science class
2 hours at an equine clinic with animal science class
200+ hours pet sitting dogs and cats

Employment:
100 hours at FAU bookstore
70 hours at Law office

Honors:
Undergrad:
Cum laude Graduation honors


Extracurricular activities

Undergrad:
Biology Club: Director of Recruitment
Pre Veterinary Club
 
Beware Ross you guys. The school is far harder than any of the other vet schools. They work very heavily on an unforgiving schedule and are relentless. You are treated far more poorly there than elsewhere. I know this from experience. Know that when you go you will be stressed to the limit and will not be allowed rest. No vacations or time to gather your thoughts is always a terrible idea.
 
krh696 - if you want to be a Vet then apply to Ross. No fear.

animaldoc1 thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings about the school.
Being a student here I must disagree with just about everything you have said.

All Vet schools are hard, and Ross makes it clear that it is an Accelerated Program, lasting 3.3 years with no summer breaks and only people who understand and/or want that should apply. I started my undergrad in 2004 and worked in the field for a while, so I do not need or want summers off, I just want to be a Vet, like a lot of other people here. My semester schedule has 21 credit hours yes. I have 4 classes a day from 8am or 9am to 3pm or 4pm with an hour + 10 min lunch break. These classes are Histology, Anatomy, Nutrition, and Physiology. And we have a Intro to Vet Med seminar that goes over things like communication, empathy and teamwork. On Fridays I only have 3 classes with a 3 hour break in the middle of the day, its pretty sweet 🙂 Our semesters are 4 months each and in between each we get a 3 week break. Nuf said. And a long weekend mid semester.
I do not know how many Vet students are not stressed, and I do not think it is a matter of going to Vet school in the Caribbean or the States. I think every Vet student will experience stress at one time or another during their education. Vet school is not easy. Anywhere. But down here we have the Caribbean sea to lap our stress away, and by the way there is a campus beach just a walkway away 😉
Every week here at Ross, there is a Stress Management class on Wednesdays, and a Study Skills workshop Thursday 5-6pm; in case your strategies all of a sudden are not working or you need some new ideas for challenges you have never experienced before. I have took advantage of these and they are awesome. Plus we have Psychologists that live on campus and they are so keen.
So please do not be deterred striving Vet students. Ross will not reject you if you are qualified like a States side school will, just cause their classes are full. If the current Ross class if full but you qualify to be a student, they guarantee you a seat in the next semester and will even let you defer your seating for a year if you need to get things in order before you come. We have a prep school on campus for the students and staff's children and I can see them out of my dorm window, they always look like they are having a ball! haha. The locals are so awesome as well, the school employs a lot of them and are not just exploiting the island which was important to me. We also have a feral cat program to help the locals, and all of our kennel dogs are island dogs (some stays, some car accident victims, or some emergency victims that were flew in from a nearby island) which we practice palpation on, behavior train, and adopt out.
I worked at Harvard Medical School before I came here and they invited Ross Students for their residencies because they have an AMAZING rep for their clinical time in the States, which starts after the 28 months spent here on the island. Yup. Institutions know how well equipped Ross students are in clinicals and they are sought after. The discrimination of going to a Vet school in the Caribbean is dissipating quickly people. The AVMA doesn't accredit just any building with an animal inside to be a Vet School. Ross has had to meet all the requirements State schools have and have been graduating Vets for 30 years.
But anyway if anyone else has any questions and concerns about Ross feel free to pm me or make a post on here. I do not work for this school btw. I was rejected by a few State side schools but still got into Ross on my first round of applications because they could see my passion over my grades and gave me chance to achieve my dream. I respect a school that does that.
KEEP YOUR HOPES HIGH PEOPLE!
 
How do they decide whether to place a successful applicant into the Vet prep program or straight into vet school? Is there any applicant that first got placed/is in the vet prep program that would mind sharing their stats?
 
I gave up my seat today for Ross May 2013... I hope one of my fellow SDNers gets my spot!!! Good luck everyone!! :luck::luck::luck:
 
Mait it could depend on a lot of things. i.e. How long you have been out of school, what courses specifically you struggled in, how long it took you to complete your degree... etc. But Vet Prep is better than getting rejected right? jaja.
 
hey everybody i was wondering if anybody could comment on my stats and let me know if you think i have a chance or not? I have already been rejected by Mississippi state and Florida and really freaking out I won't get any interviews

Female, 23 years old, Florida resident
Applied: Mississippi, Auburn, North Carolina, Florida
Rejected: Mississippi, Florida
Waiting: North Carolina, Auburn

Academics:
Graduated with B.S. in Biology from FAU with minor in psychology
Cumulative GPA: 3.53
Science GPA: 3.55
Last 45 h: 3.53
GRE: took it once Verbal 152, Math 150, A 3.5

Veterinary Experience
3500+ hours with small animal hospital i worked at

Animal Experience
7 hours volunteering with horses and mentally and physically deficient children
2 hours on a donkey/miniature pony/sheep farm run by a veterinarian
3 hours at a Dairy farm with animal science class
2 hours at an equine clinic with animal science class
200+ hours pet sitting dogs and cats

Employment:
100 hours at FAU bookstore
70 hours at Law office

Honors:
Undergrad:
Cum laude Graduation honors


Extracurricular activities

Undergrad:
Biology Club: Director of Recruitment
Pre Veterinary Club


Have you applied to Ross?!?
 
no i am waiting to hear from north carolina but i am going to apply there when I apply to state schools for the second cycle if i don't get into nc state
 
no i am waiting to hear from north carolina but i am going to apply there when I apply to state schools for the second cycle if i don't get into nc state

Good luck with North Carolina! The Ross application is fairly painless, I'm still waiting to hear back. Hopefully someone from Fl will join me there lol
 
Hey Everyone! First of all, I am brand spanky new to SDN.
Second of all, that doesn't mean I haven't been stalking this board every free minute for the last week or so.
Third, I have an interview with Ross in two weeks! I've been gathering info on the school so that I go in well-informed and I can tell them all the reasons why I'd want to be a Rossie. I've also been preparing answers for questions I've anticipated.
What else should I do to prepare? For those that have interviewed already - what was the interview like? Was it an interrogation or was it more conversational? Any tips/advice?

Thanks!
 
Good luck with North Carolina! The Ross application is fairly painless, I'm still waiting to hear back. Hopefully someone from Fl will join me there lol

Florida student chiming in here! I'm waiting to hear back from Ross 🙂 I applied for September 2013, but they said there were spots available for May 2013 so I said they could move my application up if that helped at all.
 
That's the exact same boat I'm in! I called last week and said I should hear by the 15th so keeping my fingers crossed! Still can't decide between may and September!
 
Hey Everyone! First of all, I am brand spanky new to SDN.
Second of all, that doesn't mean I haven't been stalking this board every free minute for the last week or so.
Third, I have an interview with Ross in two weeks! I've been gathering info on the school so that I go in well-informed and I can tell them all the reasons why I'd want to be a Rossie. I've also been preparing answers for questions I've anticipated.
What else should I do to prepare? For those that have interviewed already - what was the interview like? Was it an interrogation or was it more conversational? Any tips/advice?

Thanks!

Where is your interview? Who is it with? The interview was more like a conversation but be prepared to explain why you would be able to handle being far away from friends/family and how you will handle the difficult course load. I'm sure every interviewer does things a little different but everyone I've talked to had a very similar experience as I did. Just stay calm you'll do great!
 
Yes, but they do that specifically to see how you would handle being in a high stress environment/profession. The grads that come out of Ross are far more experienced than most other students from other schools. I for one would rather go to a school that really prepared me for what I will be dealing with in my future career.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, but they do that specifically to see how you would handle being in a high stress environment/profession. The grads that come out of Ross are far more experienced than most other students from other schools. I for one would rather go to a school that really prepared me for what I will be dealing with in my future career.

Sorry, are you saying that people who graduate from US schools are not experienced and used to dealing with stressful environments? 😕
 
I'm interviewing for Ross Fall 2013 with Erin Healy at the NJ office this Monday! Hopefully all goes well and I get good news! 🙂

Also waiting on SGU to send me some love... 😛 Would be beyond amazing if I had a choice between the two but I would be even more amazing if I even get a chance to go to vet school.

EDIT: Looks like Dr. Weale, RUSVM Faculty will be interviewing me.

Those who have been accepted, any hits or tips for the interview? How was your experience? Thanks!!
 
Last edited:
I'm interviewing for Ross Fall 2013 with Erin Healy at the NJ office this Monday! Hopefully all goes well and I get good news! 🙂

Also waiting on SGU to send me some love... 😛 Would be beyond amazing if I had a choice between the two but I would be even more amazing if I even get a chance to go to vet school.

EDIT: Looks like Dr. Weale, RUSVM Faculty will be interviewing me.

Those who have been accepted, any hits or tips for the interview? How was your experience? Thanks!!

I just got my acceptance email today 😀 I would just say the most important thing is to show how passionate you are about becoming a vet...be prepared to explain your short comings and what you learned from them! Good luck!!!!!!
 
I'm interviewing for Ross Fall 2013 with Erin Healy at the NJ office this Monday! Hopefully all goes well and I get good news! 🙂

Also waiting on SGU to send me some love... 😛 Would be beyond amazing if I had a choice between the two but I would be even more amazing if I even get a chance to go to vet school.

EDIT: Looks like Dr. Weale, RUSVM Faculty will be interviewing me.

Those who have been accepted, any hits or tips for the interview? How was your experience? Thanks!!
Congrats on the interview!! Be ready to explain why/how you will handle living in a strange country without the people you care about. Make sure to know EVERYTHING you put on your apps/essays/transcripts, the good and the bad. Have some reasons why you want to go to Ross. Know why you want to be a vet and some current issues in the field. My interview lasted one hour and 20 minutes, a lot longer than their standard interview (per my interviewer), but it was because it was very conversational, we ended up talking about a whole plethora of things that you can't really prepare for. Other than those tips, just bring a bottle of water and smile!! My interviewer was INCREDIBLY nice. It really was a conversation, moreso than any of my other four interviews. Good luck!! Take deep breaths and nail it!!
 
Where is your interview? Who is it with? The interview was more like a conversation but be prepared to explain why you would be able to handle being far away from friends/family and how you will handle the difficult course load. I'm sure every interviewer does things a little different but everyone I've talked to had a very similar experience as I did. Just stay calm you'll do great!

My interview is at the NJ location, and I got the email from Kevin Niessen. He didn't expressly say he would be the interviewer, but I'm assuming as much.
Thanks for the feedback! Great advice.

Now, my next question is, I have a full suit, but I put an outfit together I like much better. It is suit pants, a plain crew neck sweater with a dress shirt underneath, and kitten heels. The pants are dark grey and have a very subtle purple and lighter grey cross hatching, the sweater is black, and the dress shirt is purple. Heels are black. Is this formal enough, or should I stick with the suit?
I feel like the outfit I've compiled is much more my style, and I feel much more professional and confident in it. I feel like a kid at the ticker tape parade when I wear a full suit, and I always feel a little silly. I know I should be posting this in a different thread, but I was wondering if I could get away with being less formal specifically for Ross - see if any other successful interviews opted for a slightly less formal style.

Thanks all for your advice! It eases my nerves to expect more of a conversation. I do well in those types of situations and I stay relaxed, as opposed to a firing squad of questions.