Ross interview/class starting May 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MemoryHarbor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very excited as I have my Ross interview this coming Thursday! I would be starting in the May 2016 class. Is anyone else starting this coming May? Any advise for the interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Yep! I'm starting in May 2016! Good luck!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a girl interview me. It was super casual though! Good luck and don't stress out too much, just be yourself. Are you interviewing for the may class??

I'm so excited! Everyone I talk to is so jealous of me going to live on a beautiful island haha. And there's nothing to knock, it's fully accredited for a reason!

@dmiller0704 good luck today! I had mine with Ashley anthon. It was very conversational like everyone said it would be. I just got my acceptance letter yesterday so it only took 3 days to get a decision. A much faster process than the interviewer originally quoted (was told 2-3 weeks). I am starting vet prep this coming May! Let us know how your interview goes!

Reactions: 1 users
@MemoryHarbor Definitely Will do! I hope it goes well, I still have 2 classes outstanding that finish this month (Biochem and Stats) but the Ross told me to apply anyway! I think that May doesn't have as big of a draw as far as students go and most want to go the traditional route of september/january. Id like to be able to finish earlier so that I can start practicing earlier. Im 29 (Will be 30 in July) and I just want to get this going! ha!

@MemoryHarbor Not 100% sure how the interview went, the man I had the interview with was very stone faced and didn't really show much emotion to what I was saying. He did tell me that I didn't have a ton of credits even the the prerequisites are done, because I chose not to pursue a Bachelors, and my GRE score was pretty average (155) so they might chose to put me in the vet prep program instead of immediate admissions. But he said I will know later in the coming weeks. Slightly discouraged, either way I think I will take the opportunity regardless, but Im hoping that I'm just reading too much into it. I just honestly didn't feel a positive attitude from him......

@dmiller0704 I was really hoping for the immediate admission also but decided not to turn down the opportunity of vet prep. Financially I will come out the same as taking more classes at my college. Time wise vet prep is a faster option for me to get into vet school vs waiting until fall semester to take more courses (my school has a pretty limited summer program). I am on the same boat- I just want to get the boat moving and be on my way to getting my DVM license! I think vet prep will also give an easier transition to island life. I do have to say I did have a few times where I was worried about the body language I was interpreting from my interviewer. When I was asking the questions I had prepared for her at the end she lit up more and some of the things she was telling me gave me an overall good feeling about the school. I was confident in my interview up until the point she was asking me about each class I took and the grades/GRE. I had a pretty similar GRE score to yours. I'm thinking you will have a decision pretty quick like I did. I think they are hitting the end of the application cycle for the May classes so the committee doesn't have as many people to review.

@goldenand4cats do you know are we required to have a flight that leaves at the end of first semester classes or can be opt to stay on the island? I was reading through some of the welcome emails and it wasn't clear.

@MemoryHarbor Good to know we are in kind of a similar boat, I will definitely be taking the vet prep course if I'm required to. I have over 430 hours of shadowing/hands on experience I know people have more, but I feel like that should count for something haha

I have heard from a Grad, and it does state somewhere on their website that you need a ticket that is round trip with a return date, so Id imagine you have to come back at the end of each semester, which I'm fine with.

Maybe we will be in the same VetPrep, it would be nice to "know" someone coming into school!

Hi Future Rossies! :highfive:

Congrats to those that have been accepted and those that have gotten an interview!
You guys will love it here, I am currently in third semester if you have any questions feel free to PM me! :)

Hey guys! I did vet prep so feel free to ask me any questions about it. It did indeed facilitate a smoother transition to island life and vet school in general and I felt like it really prepared me well for the curriculum to come. I know you wish you'd be accepted into the regular program but don't be discouraged! Us vet preppers often felt like we had small advantages every now and then.

It is also accurate that for student visa requirements, your first ticket (and only your first!) needs to be a round trip ticket. After that you can buy one ways or round trips if you prefer (they're often cheaper).

Congrats on your acceptances! I'm an open book about my experiences at Ross so feel free to PM with any questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
@allieh8607 May I ask if you know why you ended up in vet prep? I was just told that since I didn't pursue a bachelors my credit count is lower than the would like and I only did average on the GRE that the committee might put my in the prep program. It kind of sucks because I already did microbiology and received an A+ and wish I didnt have to do it again.....

Congrats to those that have been accepted. I'm in 3rd now and I love it here! Also if any of you are accepted but they're out of room in the dorms I have 1-2 rooms open in my house for next semester. Walking distance to campus and free access to puppy lovins from my awesome dog :p

@WeimMama I'm still waiting to hear back from the housing department on whether or not there is on campus housing left. If there isn't you will probably be hearing from me! haha

@goldenand4cats do you know if there is a Facebook page for the students coming in May? I know previous semesters have mentioned that the school sets a page up.

@dmiller0704 have you heard anything yet?!

@WeimMama I'm still waiting to hear back from the housing department on whether or not there is on campus housing left. If there isn't you will probably be hearing from me! haha

@goldenand4cats do you know if there is a Facebook page for the students coming in May? I know previous semesters have mentioned that the school sets a page up.

@dmiller0704 have you heard anything yet?!

Nothing yet @MemoryHarbor :-/ today is day 4 hopefully either today or Monday. My app says committee review

Yes, I know there is a Facebook group that I was added to. Its still pretty new, only made about 2 weeks ago. It's a closed group and the administrator of it is someone from the school named Isha. I'm sure if you contact the school they would put you in contact with whoever can add you!

@MemoryHarbor I actually just filled my house with two people who will be in first.... but still if anyone needs help finding a place I am happy to help! I know my upstairs neighbor will have an opening and a few of my other friends. :)

I finally got my email from the housing person which had a survey regarding preferences for on campus housing so I am assuming there is still on campus housing available.

@dmiller0704 let me know if you need any help figuring anything out! I have finally gotten through everything except the health certificate and visa application paperwork. I thought getting funding was going to be harder than it actually was. You may have not gotten the email yet but they suggest trying to get funds from Sallie Mae or Wells Fargo as they have loaned to vet preppers in the past.

@rd2vetmed @WeimMama did you guys bring extra suitcases or did you ship a barrel to the island? I'm debating on which would be the best way to get everything down there.

@MemoryHarbor My only problem is I have no one to cosign. So I'm hoping they figure something out for me. There isn't any way for me to come up with the money on my own.

@MemoryHarbor I packed two check in bags and a carry on with the essentials and made a barrel with everything else, I sent it with time so it got to the island before I got here and then I hired a someone to pick it up and deliver it to the dorms. It was well worth it for me and just made packing easier.

[QUOTE="
@rd2vetmed @WeimMama did you guys bring extra suitcases or did you ship a barrel to the island? I'm debating on which would be the best way to get everything down there.[/QUOTE]

I checked 3 suitcases and did not ship a barrel. Unless you are sending a barrel from Puerto Rico it is still cheaper to check 3 bags than to check one or none and send the barrel because you also have to pay a broker to go pick the barrel up, you don't just stroll up to customs and get it yourself. The locals I have spoken to (including in the budget office) seem to say that the main useful reason to ship a barrel is to send yourself food items that are cheaper in the US. Most people do not ship barrels but if you absolutely cannot cut your belongings down to 3 suitcases or less its an option. But do remember that if there are things you won't need within the first few days to week of being here they are easier and cheaper to buy off other students - like house wares and toiletries other than things that are daily absolute needs. Hope that makes sense!

If you're worried about over packing (which I definitely did) shoot me a message and I can give you an idea of things you will or won't use!

Hey Everyone,
I just sent my application in. How did long it take for them to grant an interview or rejection? I applied for May 2016 MD, Hope I get in!

Can a student or anyone with any knowledge shed some light on the clinical year? Correct me if I'm wrong but as I understand student are in pre-clinical on the island for about 2 years + 4 months. After that you are placed in one of Ross' affiliated schools in the US for clinicals. My question is what is this process like? Do students need to apply to these schools? Is it competitive to get accepted? Do students find themselves not getting in anywhere?

Correct me if I'm wrong but as I understand student are in pre-clinical on the island for about 2 years + 4 months.
Hey Eric888,
I've just applied and while doing some research I saw that there are 2 different pre-clincal paths offered. There's an accelerated 16 month pre clinical option as well as a regular 20 month option. Both less than 2 years depending on whether or not you take the summer off.

Hey Everyone,
I just sent my application in. How did long it take for them to grant an interview or rejection? I applied for May 2016 MD, Hope I get in!
This is the pre-veterinary board, so the answers may vary from the med students (I'm assuming you're pre-med due to your "status" under your username). You'll have better luck asking in the pre-med forums.

Hey Eric888,
I've just applied and while doing some research I saw that there are 2 different pre-clincal paths offered. There's an accelerated 16 month pre clinical option as well as a regular 20 month option. Both less than 2 years depending on whether or not you take the summer off.

This is not the case for the veterinary students.

Can a student or anyone with any knowledge shed some light on the clinical year? Correct me if I'm wrong but as I understand student are in pre-clinical on the island for about 2 years + 4 months. After that you are placed in one of Ross' affiliated schools in the US for clinicals. My question is what is this process like? Do students need to apply to these schools? Is it competitive to get accepted? Do students find themselves not getting in anywhere?
Hey! I just went through this process. In your 6th semester, you'll meet with the person that handles placing students at the clinical affiliates. He'll want to know what your career aspirations are, what kind of learner you are, what factors at a clinical affiliate are important to you, etc. to help him place you at a school that will be a good fit for you. It is not an application process. For a few schools it may feel like that because they have special requirements like a Skype interview, letters of recommendation, letters of intent, references, etc. but not all school require this so it is truly a "placement" process. In the first week of your last semester, you will select your top 4 schools. You can't rank them. The clinical placement team works their magic and a few weeks later we had a placement ceremony where we all got letters with our clinical placement on them and were allowed to open them on the count of three! It was fun and chaotic and nerve wracking but in the end every single student got placed at one of their 4 choices.

There hasn't ever been a student that hasn't been placed. If you're accepted into the program and make it through your pre-clinical semesters, there is a clinical spot for you guaranteed. Some schools are more "competitive" than others but maybe the better word would be popular. The popular ones that come to mind from our placement process this time around are Colorado, NC State, Ohio State, and Minnesota. Some schools only take a few (Ohio State only took 3) and some take a ton (Purdue, Oklahoma, LSU all take upwards of 10+). Some have special requirements (UC Davis was only taking 2 and you had to be food animal focused so we didn't end up sending anyone there this round). Some schools won't take any failures, some only take certain GPAs.

Of course things can change by the time you actually get to this process. I know it has changed from the time I started at Ross, but they seem to be really good at what they do so idk how much it will change.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey Everyone,
It took me about a month to get my interview but I applied waaaaaay ahead of time. They should get to it quickly since you applied for May so if its been more than a week shoot them an email and bug them.
There are never students left without a clinical school. There is an associate dean and a whole department on island dedicated to matching students with clinical schools based on what you want to do in your career, what your grades were like while here, etc. You do get to put in 3 choices that you'd like to go to (after being counseled about your choices) and then they do a ceremony in 7th semester revealing where you will go. But everyone is placed! And yes you are on island for 7 semester, which is 2 years and 4 months.

You do get to put in 3 choices that you'd like to go to (after being counseled about your choices) and then they do a ceremony in 7th semester revealing where you will go

You actually get to put in 4 schools (unless they changed it back for future semesters) but the rest of what you said was correct!