Ross MpeL guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bonusball2019

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I just finished 1st semester, I struggled adjusting to the workload and this was my 1st anatomy course ever so that was a challenge itself. I did poorly on the 1st practical, sought help but still didn't do well as I wanted. My grades improved gradully but I ended up being underneath the 70 "safety zone". Could any past students chime in on what there cut off was for Gross during Semester 1?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

So I just finished 1st semester, I struggled adjusting to the workload and this was my 1st anatomy course ever so that was a challenge itself. I did poorly on the 1st practical, sought help but still didn't do well as I wanted. My grades improved gradully but I ended up being underneath the 70 "safety zone". Could any past students chime in on what there cut off was for Gross during Semester 1?

If you are struggling in this, you should give some serious thought about proceeding forward with medical school in the Caribbean.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are struggling in this, you should give some serious thought about proceeding forward with medical school in the Caribbean.
Because no one struggles with anatomy in an American medical school...

Members don't see this ad :)
Because no one struggles with anatomy in an American medical school...

Is this program not a program to help see if you are ready for medical school at Ross? They don't make everyone do that sort of course. If someone is struggling with it, what makes you think they will do better when the real time comes around? With the Caribbean schools you don't have much of a cushion before you're in debt without a residency spot in sight...

Is this program not a program to help see if you are ready for medical school at Ross? They don't make everyone do that sort of course. If someone is struggling with it, what makes you think they will do better when the real time comes around? With the Caribbean schools you don't have much of a cushion before you're in debt without a residency spot in sight...

So you just felt like wading on in without knowing what you're talking about, just felt like taking a big 'ole whiff at a change-up, didja?

So you just felt like wading on in without knowing what you're talking about, just felt like taking a big 'ole whiff at a change-up, didja?

I stand corrected on the mpel. I had thought it was their 'premed' type program for borderline students. The OP is already at Ross, so he needs to do everything he can to improve his grades. His road is not the easy one.

“Mpel” at Ross basically is the minimum score you need to pass a single subject. OP was concerned about what the mpel usually is for first semester anatomy. What I don’t understand is that information can be easily obtained from upper semester students. No reason to make an SDN thread on it just to be criticized even more...

Last edited by a moderator:
American medical schools won't kick you out if you struggle/fail a single course.

Neither will the reputable Caribbean ones. Both will make you repeat them, though.

And, while clearly the on-time graduation rate is much lower and overall attrition rate much higher in the Caribbean, only 81% of U.S. medical students finish their medical training on time.

But, when talking about the clear superiority of the U.S. medical education pathway, we always forget to mention those kinds of things, don't we?

-Skip

"In contrast, medical students who took a leave of absence (LOA) for any reason (i.e., academic, health, or other) have, on average, an eight-year graduation rate ranging from 62 to 72 percent"

"While the ultimate graduation rate for M.D.-only medical students remainsvery high, there is a clear trend over the past 30 years showing a drop in the four-year graduation rate for single degree medical students."
Read the report. It covers all contingencies. This is only going to get worse with the expansion of first-year medical spots in the U.S. and the relative "softening" of admissions criteria. Mark my words.

-Skip

Last edited:
Hey all,

Cut off is based on the median class performance. It varies semester to semester based on that classes performance overall, so it hard to say. It can be anywhere between 60-70. But you shouldn't have to worry about this, period. Set your goals high and don't look back. That's it.