Ross or Universidad Central del Caribe?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tsunamiking

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
X

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Ok, so there was a thread similar to this one back in 2005 so I wanted to ask again since things may have changed.

Which of these two schools would you choose and why?

And please do not state to go to a school in the US because my GPA is below the average due to personal issues that ocurred to me with a mediocre MCAT

:confused: ...

ross, of course.

definitely Ross since it has a years-long record of placing people in US residencies. But think hard before you go down there, b/c a significant portion of folks don't make it through.

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't Universidad Central del Caribe an LCME accredited school located in Puerto Rico, so you're basically considered an AMG when applying for residency. Also, I think you have to speak Spanish to go there.

Isn't Universidad Central del Caribe an LCME accredited school located in Puerto Rico, so you're basically considered an AMG when applying for residency. Also, I think you have to speak Spanish to go there.
I would not go to Ross for the above reason ^

Why don't you read the forums? Just a suggestion. You might discover that the first two years are taught in English or Spanish depending on the instructor's preference, but ALL the tests are done in English because they want to prepare you for Step 1. Spanish becomes a necessity in the last two years becaues, well, you're in Puerto ****ing Rico

OK, so I was being very ignorant.
Apologies.
I think that you should go to any LCME accredited medical school above Ross. You would be considered a US grad, I am assuming, since it's an LCME accredited school (assuming you are a US citizen).
If you are unsure if your Spanish is good enough, or if they take out of state folks, how about inquiring @their admissions office?
I actually googled it, and it looks like there are 4 LCME accredited med schools in PR. I'd never heard of them except for Ponce and U of Puerto Rico...shows what I know.
My apologies to all PR school docs on here :)

List of LCME accredited med schools in Puerto Rico:
Puerto Rico Universidad Central del Caribe School of Medicine Bayamon, PR
Ponce School of Medicine Ponce, PR
University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine San Juan, PR
San Juan Bautista School of Medicine
(Accreditation effective beginning academic year 2007-2008
for all students enrolled at that time)
Caguas, PR

Im a med student in PR, I highly recommend coming here for med school but make sure you know a little spanish before you come out here because it will be frustrating for you. Not to mention that although Puerto Ricans study english in schools they prefer speaking spanish. You must be okay with that.
Although a US colony, living here is very different than living in the states. Things are much more laid back and take time.Oh yeah, its HOT here.

Other than that PR is a beautiful country and its people are amazing! The education you recieve will also be great! If you have specific questions you should go to allopathic section and ask as all of the schools from PR have a forum in allopathic.

thanks again! I know it sounded like an obvious answer to all of you, but I just wanted to make sure what people think... and sometimes the most honests answers you can get are from complete strangers :)

I am at San Juan Bautista School of Medicine, they already started interviewing so I would get your information in asap.

Call admissions and ask for Jayme Sanchez