Ross - Problem based learning approach?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahgahg

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone knows how different the teaching methods are at
Ross and Saba.
I understand that Ross places emphasize on Problem-based learning.

I don't do very well in Problem-based learning environment.
So, does that mean I shoudn't consider going to Ross.
I mean, do all there courses use this approach.
I think Saba employs the tradition method of teaching.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I'd really apprecate it.
I don't wanna end up going to Ross just because it has a good repuation but wanna make sure that I will be not stress out because of the teaching method. I've had some experience with Problem-based learning approach, where no matter how hard I worked, it never paid off. Thats when I realized, this approach is probably not for me.

Any comments would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone knows how different the teaching methods are at
Ross and Saba.
I understand that Ross places emphasize on Problem-based learning.

I don't do very well in Problem-based learning environment.
So, does that mean I shoudn't consider going to Ross.
I mean, do all there courses use this approach.
I think Saba employs the tradition method of teaching.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I'd really apprecate it.
I don't wanna end up going to Ross just because it has a good repuation but wanna make sure that I will be not stress out because of the teaching method. I've had some experience with Problem-based learning approach, where no matter how hard I worked, it never paid off. Thats when I realized, this approach is probably not for me.

Any comments would be appreciated,

Thanks,

This belongs on the Caribbean board, not allo. This board is mostly populated with US allo folks.

Members don't see this ad :)
any comments?

Ok i have a stupid question, isn't Ross University an allopathic school anyway, despite it also being a Carribbean school?

Yes, Ross is an allopathic school. It's a shame that Ross and the other good Carib. schools get a bad rap simply because people don't really know much about them. There's no question that US grads were better in their undergraduate school, and usually had better MCATs. But seriously, we were all just kids in college. Is what someone did 'grade' wise a really good indicator of a persons potential 10, 15 years later? Biochem is biochem, anatomy is anatomy..no matter where you read it. Ross students only spend the time needed to complete the basic sciences in Dominica. It is the same material just a slightly faster pace. Now one might argue that being it is faster, information is lost and thus the program is of lesser quality. That arguement is debunked when you take into consideration the most important fact: Ross grads as well as the other Carib. schools all take the EXACT same exams required for the NRMP as US grads. Many,many carib. grads score 230+ on both exams. I certainly agree that not everyone who thinks they can be a physician has what it takes and perhaps the Carib. schools give TOO many people a shot. But, nonetheless there are many, many people who had to go the Carib. route and proved they were every bit qualified for US med school. If people read this and still feel Carib. schools are a joke, then they are simply admitting that med school is a waste of time and that a college grad could simply study for the Step 1,2 and pass. In other words, if a student can walk in and pass or even smash the USMLE exams, which is what the medical administrators of this country deem necessary to begin residency, then does it matter where the knowledge came from? Just something to think about. Also keep in mind, Ross grads do every single minute of their 90 weeks of clinicals in the US.