Ross Students - Questions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tiempo

Edinburgh 2013
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any Ross students or students-to-be, I have some questions I'm hoping you can provide some answers to (or at least some direction), and I would really appreciate some help. Also, if anyone else has other questions, please feel free to add them to this thread!

First, is the school tablet friendly? I need to get a new laptop, as my poor computer is really not going to make it much longer, and I'm trying to decide how much I want to spend. I'm really enamored with the idea of a tablet, but if there are no notes/powerpoint slides posted for students to download, I'm not sure that a tablet is a great idea. Anybody use a tablet or know if they're a good idea for the school?

Similarly, are the computer specs posted at the following website current? http://www.rossvet.edu.kn/Prospective_Students/IT_Needs/Laptop.htm
Not sure if this is old information, and I'd hate to purchase a machine that conforms to outdated specs.

Any of the students starting this fall planning to bring pets their second semester? Anyone want to go in with me and charter a plane from San Juan? :laugh: I know it's a long way off, but this is one thing that keeps weighing on my mind - how to get the dogs there! Any current students have input on how difficult it is to find dog (and quarantine) friendly housing? I saw a note that stated it is quite difficult to find pet-friendly housing, and this has me concerned.

And on a completely not-school-specific note, has anyone else started their Rabies vaccination series? It seems to be a bit tough to come by, so I've decided I should probably start the series now to make sure I get them all in time.

It's funny - there are major issues to be sorted out still, and I'm worried about vaccines and laptops!

Members don't see this ad.

It looks pretty current, but not all of it is actually relevant. (Why have a "sound card" category there? It's not even worth mentioning.)

However, I tried using the email link on the bottom of that page and the email bounced : \

And on a completely not-school-specific note, has anyone else started their Rabies vaccination series? It seems to be a bit tough to come by, so I've decided I should probably start the series now to make sure I get them all in time.

I'm an SGU student, not Ross, but I thought I'd chime in. It's been very difficult for a lot of people in my class to get Rabies vaccinated since last summer. If you can get it before you go, I'd definitely recommend it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that Ross requires it before you get to the island.

I have an appointment set up at the hospital (my doctor wasn't able to do it in his office but they gave me a referral for the hospital)

Yes, even though I don't need to start the vaccination series so early since it only takes one month to complete, since I've found an office willing to give the vacc I decided to go ahead and do it now (I'm bleeding money already, right?) just in case it becomes completely unavailable later. The county health dep't won't give the vaccines here, and referred me to a private doctor's office. Speaking of money, I was a bit surprised how expensive the vaccines are - I'm paying $225/dose plus $50 first office visit and $25 for the two follow-up visits, for a grand total of $775. Ouch. redsteven, if you don't mind sharing, about what are you paying for the vacc?

Hopeful07, if you read this again, do you think SGU is tablet friendly? Maybe I should go ask this in the SGU/Ross comparison thread.

I totally lucked out and was able to get it for free at work - I work in a lab and we use a modified rabies virus, so the vaccine was an option and I took it of course. Watch out though - it HURTS! I was not prepared for how much it would hurt the first time and nearly fainted. Good luck!

Yes, even though I don't need to start the vaccination series so early since it only takes one month to complete, since I've found an office willing to give the vacc I decided to go ahead and do it now (I'm bleeding money already, right?) just in case it becomes completely unavailable later. The county health dep't won't give the vaccines here, and referred me to a private doctor's office. Speaking of money, I was a bit surprised how expensive the vaccines are - I'm paying $225/dose plus $50 first office visit and $25 for the two follow-up visits, for a grand total of $775. Ouch. redsteven, if you don't mind sharing, about what are you paying for the vacc?

Hopeful07, if you read this again, do you think SGU is tablet friendly? Maybe I should go ask this in the SGU/Ross comparison thread.

Yes, SGU is very tablet friendly. There's a few people in my class that have tablets and they seem to really like them. The professors put the powerpoint presentations on Angel before class so we have them during lectures. :)

Any of the students starting this fall planning to bring pets their second semester?

I really want to bring one of my dogs second semester. I figured that so many students have done it before, the housing issue can't be that awful.

I start my rabies series in a few weeks - mine are $200 each. Ugh. Speaking of vaccines, because the hepatitis vaccine is done at months zero, one and six, I am not going to be able to get the 6-month vaccine here. Ross said I can do it there, but I am still a little nervous at not having all the paperwork completed before going.

I found the info about computers at Ross on the website lacking for sure. I bought a tablet anyway because I was in serious, desperate need of a new computer and one that will last me quite a while beyond vet school, and I really like the tablet feature.

Tiempo - congrats! You are starting in September? Yay us!

redsteven, if you don't mind sharing, about what are you paying for the vacc?

I'm not. My insurance is paying for it.

They were willing to cover the injections because they are required "for my line of work/schooling".

I admit I was afraid they might not cover it because of the posts I read on this board about people paying for the injections out-of-pocket.

Redsteven - it sounds like you are starting in September too? If you don't get in UC Davis?

hi...sorry it took me a while to respond. It's finals week. I think a tablet would be fine down here. I'm pretty sure that you can email the IT dept with any techinal questions. Check the website for the link - it may be in admitted students section. They are good at responding. Also, call or email Michelle Cardozo with questions about pet import and housing. She's amazing. There is an apt list available to students - some months you will find more pet friendly apts than others, but I didn't have a problem. As for rabies - if you can find it, get it!
Let me know if you have any other questions - I'm happy to help!
Good luck. I know, it's really exciting and scary at the same time!

Redsteven - it sounds like you are starting in September too? If you don't get in UC Davis?

I'm on the waitlist for Penn (did not apply to Davis). Penn's not taking any out of staters from the wait list right now though, so it's highly doubtful that I'll end up at Penn at this point.

But yes, I will see you in September :)

Last edited:
I really want to bring one of my dogs second semester. I figured that so many students have done it before, the housing issue can't be that awful.

I start my rabies series in a few weeks - mine are $200 each. Ugh. Speaking of vaccines, because the hepatitis vaccine is done at months zero, one and six, I am not going to be able to get the 6-month vaccine here. Ross said I can do it there, but I am still a little nervous at not having all the paperwork completed before going.

I found the info about computers at Ross on the website lacking for sure. I bought a tablet anyway because I was in serious, desperate need of a new computer and one that will last me quite a while beyond vet school, and I really like the tablet feature.

Tiempo - congrats! You are starting in September? Yay us!

Yes, the dogs are a big concern for me, and are part of the reason I never considered St. Matthew's - one of my dogs is a banned breed in the Cayman Islands, so there was no point applying there.

Had my first Rabies vacc yesterday, and it didn't hurt any more than any other vaccine, so I was pleasantly surprised! redsteven, you're lucky you don't have to pay! I'm going to submit the paperwork to my insurance company and see if they will cover any of it, even though I'm not really expecting them to, but something would be better than nothing.

I would imagine you should be fine with the Hep vacc, especially since you're starting the series here.

The current plan is to start at Ross in September. I did apply to SGU as well, but quite late, so Ross is the current plan and I'm moving forward with that idea in mind.

hi...sorry it took me a while to respond. It's finals week. I think a tablet would be fine down here. I'm pretty sure that you can email the IT dept with any techinal questions. Check the website for the link - it may be in admitted students section. They are good at responding. Also, call or email Michelle Cardozo with questions about pet import and housing. She's amazing. There is an apt list available to students - some months you will find more pet friendly apts than others, but I didn't have a problem. As for rabies - if you can find it, get it!
Let me know if you have any other questions - I'm happy to help!
Good luck. I know, it's really exciting and scary at the same time!

Thanks for responding at all, especially during finals week!

Everyone at the school has been helpful thus far, but they're still trying to get the May class settled so I don't want to send too many emails. It's reassuring to hear you didn't have a problem finding pet friendly housing, so :xf: that will be the same for us!