Ross U Vet School Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KritterLover

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview with Sean Powers in the NJ office coming up next week. Has anyone interviewed with him before? Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed with him on February 13th. He seems like a pretty laid back guy. The interview was relatively casual – it was in no way intimidating.

I don't think you'll have to walk in there expecting to defend yourself or anything :)

I received a phone call about a week ago saying that I was accepted.

Do you have any specific questions?

Congratulations on your acceptance!! :) Is this for Sept 09? Are you going to go there?

It helps to hear that he is laid back. whew! I just wanted to get an idea of what to expect.

What kind of questions does he ask? Does he focus on grades, work experience etc. or does he want to get to know who you are and to gauge if you would be a good fit?
Sorry I am asking too many questions but I am a little nervous.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations on your acceptance!! :) Is this for Sept 09? Are you going to go there?

It helps to hear that he is laid back. whew! I just wanted to get an idea of what to expect.

What kind of questions does he ask? Does he focus on grades, work experience etc. or does he want to get to know who you are and to gauge if you would be a good fit?
Sorry I am asking too many questions but I am a little nervous.

Thank you.

Thanks. I'll probably go to Ross for September '09, but I'm currently waitlisted at Penn so there's a possibility that I may end up going their instead.

When Sean interviewed me, I really got the feeling that he had read my application well, and tailored the questions to things that were on my application.

You obviously want to make sure that you can answer the "general" interview questions, like "Tell me about yourself," or "how would you describe yourself," (in my interview he asked how OTHERS would describe me).
Also be sure to always have a good answer to "Why do you want to be a vet?" and "Why do you want to go to OUR school?"

I think you'll be okay. Just remember to keep breathing ;)

Thanks for the info. This helps a lot....especially to alleviate my anxiety a little :) I will try to remember the keep breathing :)
Good luck with Penn.

I have an interview with Sean Powers in the NJ office coming up next week. Has anyone interviewed with him before? Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks.
Bring a small bottle of water! I interviewed with him last year and I agree that the interview was straight foward. I got sooo nervous though and had ZERO saliva in my mouth! Very difficult to answer questions with your tongue stuck to the roof of your mouth. One question threw me a bit - "do you have any regrets?" It was random and general and I fumbled a little. For the most part though....if you got the interview - you're on your way.
Oh, one other thing - he gives you a timeline of when you should hear but don't freak out if it takes a little longer. Sean told me something like 3-5wks and it was closer to 9wks because my application was submitted to the committee down here around semester break.
Good Luck

Good tip about the water! Thanks. I get nervous just thinking about the interview and I will probably just be worse when I am there.
Wow the "regrets" question is good! Thanks for that one.
I have one more question, does he ask specific questions about your animal experience or does he just say in general "tell me about your animal experience?"
SO did you end uo going to Ross?

Good tip about the water! Thanks. I get nervous just thinking about the interview and I will probably just be worse when I am there.
Wow the "regrets" question is good! Thanks for that one.
I have one more question, does he ask specific questions about your animal experience or does he just say in general "tell me about your animal experience?"
SO did you end uo going to Ross?
I came with a resume - mostly because the application gives you NO space to write everything! He took the time to read all the experience, which I thought was great, and kind of acknowledged it more than asked me questions about it.
He asked about my study habits - self vs group. He wants to know that you can handle living in St. Kitts and that you have strong support from home. He asked me if I thought my undergrad curriculum had prepared me well for the rigors of vet school. What else....so they know you love animals but it is equally important they you are socially adjusted. I guess there are actually applicants that have said in interviews that they want to work with animals because they hate people - :thumbdown:!!
I would say to try to relax as much as possible and know that he's not trying to trip you up. The "regrets" question was really the only thing that came out of left field. In your mind try to think of him being on your side while you're going though the interview.
Yes I am here at Ross! Any questions I'm happy to answer!!
Good Luck and let us know how your interview goes

I came with a resume - mostly because the application gives you NO space to write everything!

Almost forgot about that. Bring a resumé if you think it'll help. I did.

Thank you, both of you, for the tips. Having a resume is a great idea.

I can't believe that people have actually said that they hate working with people and that is why they want to be Vets...wow!

I feel so much better about the interview already. Just need to have a general idea of what I want to talk about and then just be honest.
I will definitely let you guys know how it goes.

If you think of any other advice, feel free to let me know :)

I feel so much better about the interview already. Just need to have a general idea of what I want to talk about and then just be honest.
I will definitely let you guys know how it goes.

If you think of any other advice, feel free to let me know :)

Try some mock interviews if at all possible. Check with your school's career center. I was able to do a mock interview at my school and they recorded it, so we could watch the footage and go over it together afterwards.
Your typical career center probably won't know much about veterinary-specific questions, but that doesn't mean you can't get great practice in.

EDIT: I know you're probably running short on time now, but even if you sit down with a parent of a friend and have them ask you some general questions, it can help.

Yeah I've been doing mock interviews with friends and a professor but it has just been one or 2 questions at a time. I suppose I should try and do a serious sit down mock interview.
I am so nervous I had a nightmare about my interview last night!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am so nervous I had a nightmare about my interview last night!!!

Just sending some good vibes your way:). Everybody says this, but really all you have to do is relax and be yourself.

I never interviewed with Ross, but in my interview, I found that the things I accidently let slip out about myself (like how I spend way too much time playing video games), were the things that they responded most positively to. It let them know that I was being honest.

As long as you have an idea of how you would answer general questions (even if you're practicing 1 or 2 at a time), you should be fine.

Good luck:luck:

Last edited:
Thanks for the good vibes :p and the advice.
I will try to relax and myself.

Not done yet :) it is coming up next week. I guess it was a little over a week away when I started the thread. I'll let you know how it goes.

I have been wanting to update you even since my interview this week. So it went really well I think. Sean was awesome. So easy to talk to. I was very nervous when I got there and the water helped very much...thank you for that.
The questions were very straightforward. It was more of a conversation rather than a Q and A session. Nothing came out of left field.
All the advise and good vibes that you guys gave me really helped. He said that I would hear in 4 to 7 weeks :xf: especially since the committee in St. Kitts would be on break soon. Now I wait. Waiting is hard!

Thank you again!!!!:D

I have been wanting to update you even since my interview this week. So it went really well I think. Sean was awesome. So easy to talk to. I was very nervous when I got there and the water helped very much...thank you for that.
The questions were very straightforward. It was more of a conversation rather than a Q and A session. Nothing came out of left field.
All the advise and good vibes that you guys gave me really helped. He said that I would hear in 4 to 7 weeks :xf: especially since the committee in St. Kitts would be on break soon. Now I wait. Waiting is hard!

No problem :)

Try to relax a tiny bit now.

Hey congrats on the interview! I know what you mean about the waiting anxiety. I had my interview on March 16th and haven't heard any news yet. When did they say the committee was going on break?

Hey congrats on the interview! I know what you mean about the waiting anxiety. I had my interview on March 16th and haven't heard any news yet. When did they say the committee was going on break?

Finals are this week, so although break doesn't officially start until Friday (the 17th), I doubt they'll be meeting this week. School starts back up on May 4th. Sorry you have to wait a few more weeks! Last year, my interview was in the beginning of April and they went on break around the time I was supposed to hear, and it was torture! Hope this helps. I'm keeping my finger crossed for you guys! :xf::luck:

So glad everything went great!!
I remember the wait...painful! But the phone call,in a couple of weeks, will make it all worth while!!!
congrats!

I had an interview at Ross U last year

I studied from this site, about half of the questions were asked at the interview! Good luck

Veterinarian Interview Questions

And maybe I'll see you around next year :)

hi everyone~
All of you probably are vets now since this thread was started in 2009. I'm going to have an interview with Kevin Niessen from Ross in a few days. I'm super nervous :scared:. Does anyone have any experience with his interviews??
Thanks