Ross University in Dominica

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lexi1507

Mc Lovin
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not the best student, granted I have two years left to finish my Bachelors. I was really interested in Ross University in the island Dominica. I recently heard that all the great professors from Ross and some other island universities were re-located to a Med School in Antigua. Has anyone else heard this? Is anyone else thinking about Med School in the caribbean or are there still some Med Schools in the US that are not impossible to get into. I live in Miami and am willing to re-locate.

Members don't see this ad.

Moving to the Caribbean Forum where students who actually attend the school might answer your questions. Others can follow and post if desired.

If you have two years left, then become a good student, otherwise you will fail out of medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
You won't fail out of medical school. Having foresight and clairvoyance is what is important, it's called life management. Don't be discouraged by the churlish, terse things people will tell you on here. Your rejoinder should be only, "Thank you, I will do my best." Good luck in your pursuit of medical school.

There is a difference between being optimistic and being naive.

If one cannot do well in university (which is easier than medical school) then why would one who admits that they are a bad student do any better in medical school?

You cannot be Jesus to every anonymous person on the Internet and save his soul. As written in the Bible, G-d helps those who help themselves.

You are projecting your personal confidence on to others who might have been you a few years back. You remind me of a poster on valuemd who was extremely positive and swore that his medical school was the new Atlantis. Suffice it to say that he soon failed out and pulled a 180° turn and said nothing positive about the school.

And stop wasting so much time using a thesaurus trying to make your writings sound more sophisticated because it is obvious that you misuse some of the words and that just makes you look ridiculous.

You won't fail out of medical school. Having foresight and clairvoyance is what is important, it's called life management. Don't be discouraged by the churlish, terse things people will tell you on here. Your rejoinder should be only, "Thank you, I will do my best." Good luck in your pursuit of medical school.

Lexi 1507,

As I said, some people have nothing better to do on here than try to dissuade you of your goals. Don't be detracted from your aspirations, and yes, you will succeed. Sometimes, a failure here and there is good. There is a good book by John C. Maxwell entitled, "Failing Forward." Just because one does bad 1-2 years in undergrad doesn't justify the fact that they can't handle anything more difficult. There could be a plethora of reasons as to why that individual suffered academically. The point is, most people are superficial, and are not interested in really anything but their own agenda, egocentric. So they must superimpose their academic prowess and preponderance of knowledge onto others with the noble intent of being of great assistance; however, they will never be cognizant of the fact that they are patronizing, condescending, and a pompous fool!! Go for the Gold and never look back at the past!!

I am not the best student, granted I have two years left to finish my Bachelors. I was really interested in Ross University in the island Dominica. I recently heard that all the great professors from Ross and some other island universities were re-located to a Med School in Antigua. Has anyone else heard this? Is anyone else thinking about Med School in the caribbean or are there still some Med Schools in the US that are not impossible to get into. I live in Miami and am willing to re-locate.

Just study a little harder and bring your grades up. And score as high as you can on the MCAT. Who knows, if your GPA ends up being a 3.3 or 3.4, you might have a shot at some DO schools. And if you don't get in to a US school the first round, do a post-bacc and/or retake the MCAT and reapply. And if it doesn't happen that time, consider SGU, Ross, AUC, and Saba, as these are the most reputable Caribbean schools. Oh, and if you do end up going to a Caribbean school, don't focus on just passing. Focus on learning the material well. Then the good grades and good Step 1 score will come.

Way to go TopGun,

Like what you said, about focusing not on just passing, but learning the material well, then the good grades and Step 1 come.

There is a difference between being optimistic and being naive.

If one cannot do well in university (which is easier than medical school) then why would one who admits that they are a bad student do any better in medical school?

You cannot be Jesus to every anonymous person on the Internet and save his soul. As written in the Bible, G-d helps those who help themselves.

You are projecting your personal confidence on to others who might have been you a few years back. You remind me of a poster on valuemd who was extremely positive and swore that his medical school was the new Atlantis. Suffice it to say that he soon failed out and pulled a 180° turn and said nothing positive about the school.

And stop wasting so much time using a thesaurus trying to make your writings sound more sophisticated because it is obvious that you misuse some of the words and that just makes you look ridiculous.

Thanks to all those that answered my question.

The truth is not always something you want to hear.

You better change your habits now or suffer later. I am not here to lie to you or to sugarcoat the truth.

It is up to you to decide if you want to be a doctor. You could have a 2.0 GPA and still bring it up in 2 years and have a chance at a US school.

Don't end up in our situation(s). Jumping through hundreds of hoops in the Caribbean is an awful process.

McGillGrad, while appearing harsh and negative in his reply, is basically telling you the same thing as the rest of us. We're all telling you to get your act together so that you'll have a shot at getting into a US med school, and also so that in the event you have to go to a Caribbean school, you end up succeeding. While I think McGillGrad's delivery was hardly anything worthy of Dale Carnegie, he is nonetheless giving you some sound advice on what you need to do to accomplish your goals.

Lexi 1507,

As I said, some people have nothing better to do on here than try to dissuade you of your goals. Don't be detracted from your aspirations, and yes, you will succeed. Sometimes, a failure here and there is good. There is a good book by John C. Maxwell entitled, "Failing Forward." Just because one does bad 1-2 years in undergrad doesn't justify the fact that they can't handle anything more difficult. There could be a plethora of reasons as to why that individual suffered academically. The point is, most people are superficial, and are not interested in really anything but their own agenda, egocentric. So they must superimpose their academic prowess and preponderance of knowledge onto others with the noble intent of being of great assistance; however, they will never be cognizant of the fact that they are patronizing, condescending, and a pompous fool!! Go for the Gold and never look back at the past!!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH...great english....just fabulous....you definately are taking advantage of the now so convienient online tools of dictionary.com...aahahahahahha

To the original post.

If you feel you are not a good student then find some courses to help you study more effectively and take test more efficiently.
Getting poor grades does not always mean that you are not capable it just means that you don't know or were never taught how to get good grades.

Just push forward learn to to learn. Take some classes on it. read some books on it. You will see your grades go up and you chances of getting into medical school go up. But don't for one moment think that getting into medical school and completing it is going to be easy. You have to work you a s s off before, during and after you become a doctor. thats medicine.

And remember with all the troubles that doctors are having now. You may want to seriously consider other things as well. Pharmacy, PA, NP etc.