Ross University Will Be Staying in TN Until December 2018? Could this be...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Windom Earle

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
...the start of a Caribbean school becoming a US school?

What are your thoughts on this @Goro?

Members don't see this ad.

It simply being situated in the US wouldn’t make it a “US school”. A lot more goes into it than location.

Reactions: 1 users
It simply being situated in the US wouldn’t make it a “US school”. A lot more goes into it than location.
Yeah but they are using a DO school's classrooms and professors. They are slowly but surely trying to remain in the US. This is no longer just a one semester thing. They are going to be there for at least ONE year.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is highly unlikely. LCME has the authority to assess accreditation for schools that are chartered by legal authorities within the United States and issue degrees under that charter. Ross Medical School is chartered by the government of Dominica. LCME has no authority to assess accreditation of a school chartered by a foreign government. In order to do this Ross Medical School would have to apply for educational charter from a US state/city in order to be able to issue degrees. Then it would have to go thru the LCME accreditation process. That entire process would cost somewhere between $50 and $100 million dollars. The overall company only had $120 million net income in fiscal 2017. The business unit of Adtalem, formerly DeVry, that runs Ross, AUC, Ross Vet, Nursing school, and other schools (DeVry Medical International), overall generates perhaps $30 million and obviously less for each school. Additionally, the costs of doing business in the US would be significantly increased in salary, taxes, physical structures, etc than would be in Dominica. I dont see Adtalem attempting to do this anytime soon as it does not make financial sense to do so.
Adtalem Global Education Announces Fourth Quarter and Full Year Fiscal 2017 Results

What about COCA? Is it possible for Ross to convert into a DO school?

For the very old timers of SDN, this thread reminds me of the ultimate "Foreign school on US soil": Stuart University School of Medicine.

/sees who of us have actually been around long enough to remember that.

Reactions: 1 user
It is highly unlikely. LCME has the authority to assess accreditation for schools that are chartered by legal authorities within the United States and issue degrees under that charter. Ross Medical School is chartered by the government of Dominica. LCME has no authority to assess accreditation of a school chartered by a foreign government. In order to do this Ross Medical School would have to apply for educational charter from a US state/city in order to be able to issue degrees. Then it would have to go thru the LCME accreditation process. That entire process would cost somewhere between $50 and $100 million dollars. The overall company only had $120 million net income in fiscal 2017. The business unit of Adtalem, formerly DeVry, that runs Ross, AUC, Ross Vet, Nursing school, and other schools (DeVry Medical International), overall generates perhaps $30 million and obviously less for each school. Additionally, the costs of doing business in the US would be significantly increased in salary, taxes, physical structures, etc than would be in Dominica. I dont see Adtalem attempting to do this anytime soon as it does not make financial sense to do so.
Adtalem Global Education Announces Fourth Quarter and Full Year Fiscal 2017 Results
Not to mention the absolute bank you can make from taking full tution of students who will tragically fail out before the expensive clinical years.

For the very old timers of SDN, this thread reminds me of the ultimate "Foreign school on US soil": Stuart University School of Medicine.

/sees who of us have actually been around long enough to remember that.
Wow, I used the Internet Archive's Wayback machine to look at Stewart's former website (you can check it out yourself here) and through a search of their C.O.O. found that the admin member in question later sued various government officials, among them then-attorney general Kamala Harris (now senator) for the sum of $5 million dollars for the towing of her KIA. These people must live in an Always Sunny episode.

Wow, I used the Internet Archive's Wayback machine to look at Stewart's former website (you can check it out yourself here) and through a search of their C.O.O. found that the admin member in question later sued various government officials, among them then-attorney general Kamala Harris (now senator) for the sum of $5 million dollars for the towing of her KIA. These people must live in an Always Sunny episode.

Oooh, good find. I need to dig into the old SDN threads if they're still around.

Stewart was amazing in that they put a whole lot of effort into whatever it was that they were doing, but not really a lot of brainpower. It stood out just because the entire presentation/website was so over the top ridiculous. Whoever was running the website (probably just that Saul guy +/- a couple friends) didn't have the slightest clue how a proper med school should look. I'm sure if you pulled a few randos from pre-allo, they could have come up with a better more realistically looking presentation. Though I'm STILL amazed that whoever was behind that project managed to register the "school" as able to receive MCAT scores.

Still, attempted scams like Stewart aren't that uncommon. These guys made a go of it a couple years ago, and arguably put just as much effort into it as the Stewart people did, including opening and running a booth at a college expo that was going on just outside of Chicago.

Reactions: 2 users
Since the school is in tennessee for a while, would that somehow effect the accreditation by the Dominica medical board?

Oooh, good find. I need to dig into the old SDN threads if they're still around.

Stewart was amazing in that they put a whole lot of effort into whatever it was that they were doing, but not really a lot of brainpower. It stood out just because the entire presentation/website was so over the top ridiculous. Whoever was running the website (probably just that Saul guy +/- a couple friends) didn't have the slightest clue how a proper med school should look. I'm sure if you pulled a few randos from pre-allo, they could have come up with a better more realistically looking presentation. Though I'm STILL amazed that whoever was behind that project managed to register the "school" as able to receive MCAT scores.

Still, attempted scams like Stewart aren't that uncommon. These guys made a go of it a couple years ago, and arguably put just as much effort into it as the Stewart people did, including opening and running a booth at a college expo that was going on just outside of Chicago.

Somehow, I managed to get to this site when looking through the thread you linked above - Home | American Northwest University

Not sure if that's the same people, however.

I hadnt heard of this one before. It is registered at an address in Chicago that is also a large medical practice owned by Mohammad J Khamis MD who is featured in the Medical School's Website as a providing scholarships which he is announcing at a Venture Capital conference, a place to pitch your program to possible investors . Here is a lengthy summary of the school.

This doesnt appear to be connected to the infamous Stewart School of Medicine which was run by William Bullock Stewart, III Chancellor in San Jose CA. Just as a side note in the same area in 2016, in the infamous Brock Turner case at Stanford, where judge came under fire for the light sentence handed out to a Stanford University Swimmer who was convicted of a sexual assault, a recall petition was filed by a man who called himself “His Imperial and Royal Highness Prince William Bullock Stewart III.” You cant make this sh1t up

Googling "William Bullock Stewart" lead to some interesting results.

Yeah but they are using a DO school's classrooms and professors. They are slowly but surely trying to remain in the US. This is no longer just a one semester thing. They are going to be there for at least ONE year.
They aren’t using LMU’s professors & are only leasing the facilities temporarily from LMU. The campus takes time to be rebuilt, after Maria, on the island of Dominica.

I just ate; I dont think I wanna go down that rabbit hole

-A debtor from a Maritime trust to the US government
-Writing a petition to DOJ about a bank as his royal highness
-protectingmyrights at yahoo is the email

I took a brief dive into the abyss that is "scannedretina.com" (which our fine William Bullock Stewart seems to be associated with) and came out more confused than when I went in

Anyone with some info on how to get accredited as an Imperial and Royal Highness? I'm thinking of starting up the Planet Mongo Medical University.
isW0ueN.gif

It would be interesting if Ross decides to change their business model and then gets LCME accreditation.

The reactions on SDN would be priceless.