Ross vs. D.O.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
mysophobe said:
I was under the impression that FMGs flock to anesthesia because it isn't terribly difficult to match.
That along with it being an awesome field which many find boring. The past couple of years has seen a resurgence in interest in the field with respect to US grads, and I suspect that trend will continue as more and more students will inevitably opt for the ROAD specialities. DOs and FMGs are both well represented in the field. All fields are cyclical in nature however and the current interest in anesthesia will probably abate if/when reimbursements begin to decline. That or the "sky is falling" threat of CRNAs/AAs may eventually become a major deterrent.
I think it is a huge mistake for anyone ( including FMGs ) to "flock" to any speciality based on its relative competiveness. Granted you have to be realistic in your expectations, but I think it is a major major mistake for a surgeon-at-heart to 'settle' for anesthesia. I know I would be miserable in that situation. I would hope that these FMGs who went into Gas did so out of a genuine love and respect for the field. Otherwise they are in for a long 20-40 years of a job they resent after ~12 years of post high school education. Why even bother with med. school in that case? And before someone says money....o.k. but there are easier and quicker ways to do it, and without the expense of med.school, or the torture of residency. Just a thought.

Members don't see this ad.

After 4 years of hard work, you'll be an MD. You may or maynot get the residency of your choice but at least your patients won't think you're a Bone Doctor (Doctor of OSTEOPATHIC) or place you in the same category with NP, PAs, Podiatrists for the REST of your LIFE. I have personally witnessed several cases when patients REFUSED to receive medical care from DO residents and these residents had to go ask MD residents (some Carribbean grads) for help! This is why so many DO, PAs, Podiatrists, social workers, NPs walk around with their badges always turn inside out so nobody can read their badges. good luck!

Hmmmm...where to begin. As a pgy-5 about to finish a top interventional pain fellowship, I'd like to add my two cents. First of all, I've had a few patients ask me what a DO is (since I always proudly wear my name badge right side out), but I've never had ANYONE think I was a bone doctor OR place me in the same category as a midlevel. Maybe that's because as soon as I open my mouth, it becomes obvious that I am a physician. Also, after 7 years of taking care of patients, I've never experienced or even heard of someone refusing care from a DO...it's very interesting that, after only two years of clinical work, you've PERSONALLY witnessed this several times. :laugh:

I was under the impression that FMGs flock to anesthesia because it isn't terribly difficult to match.

Regarding anesthesiology, for all of you who are obviously behind the times, it is no longer an easy match and hasn't been for a few years. Interventional pain fellowships have become exceedingly difficult to obtain. During my interviews (all top tier fellowships), I met a few DO's and 1 or 2 FMG's, but don't remember meeting a single IMG. This is just conjecture, but I honestly don't think I could have scored such a great fellowship had I been an IMG. :cool:

I'm not bashing IMG's, if it's your only option then go for it, just realize that some doors may be closed to you.

PainDr said:
Hmmmm...where to begin. As a pgy-5 about to finish a top interventional pain fellowship, I'd like to add my two cents. First of all, I've had a few patients ask me what a DO is (since I always proudly wear my name badge right side out), but I've never had ANYONE think I was a bone doctor OR place me in the same category as a midlevel. Maybe that's because as soon as I open my mouth, it becomes obvious that I am a physician. Also, after 7 years of taking care of patients, I've never experienced or even heard of someone refusing care from a DO...it's very interesting that, after only two years of clinical work, you've PERSONALLY witnessed this several times. :laugh:

Regarding anesthesiology, for all of you who are obviously behind the times, it is no longer an easy match and hasn't been for a few years. Interventional pain fellowships have become exceedingly difficult to obtain. During my interviews (all top tier fellowships), I met a few DO's and 1 or 2 FMG's, but don't remember meeting a single IMG. This is just conjecture, but I honestly don't think I could have scored such a great fellowship had I been an IMG. :cool:

I'm not bashing IMG's, if it's your only option then go for it, just realize that some doors may be closed to you.
First off congrats on the pain fellowship...thats an awesome field. I agree with you about the anesthesiology. It is enjoying a period of resumed interest, and is attracting some stellar candidates, as evidenced by the 2006 match thread over in the anesthesiology forum. I have been following that forum and the pain forum for quite a while ( years ) however, and it was my impression that once in residency, your medical school was of little consequence, just as MCAT really has little signifigance on residency. I understand that for Top pain fellowships perhaps discriminating factors such as school may be used to seperate two stellar candidates, but it had been my distinct impression that letters from dept. heads, research, who you know etc. during residency were of more consequence with respect to obtaining a pain fellowship. In fact I think this very subject was discussed a while back on the pain forum. In any event I tend to believe that if you truly want something bad enough, come hell or high water you can get it. Perhaps I just need to believe that. Heres hoping not.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my opinion, it makes no sense trying to agitate each other. We need each other. The last thing you want is to stir up negative feelings in your IMG and DO colleagues. Do you really want a future IMG or DO program director, attending or senior resident to reject you because of a negative impression he received by reading forums like this? We are going to face enough adversity as it is. Do you want to create more challenges by upsetting the one group (IMG's and DO's)we could have depended upon to empathize with our situation? We have an opportunity to support one another and to use each other as assets. Let's take advantage of that instead of trying to upset one another.

You are not going to change the other person's mind regardless of what you say but you will create prejudice and create malice in a person where it never existed before. I'm not casting judgement on any particular member but I ask that we should all show respect to our future colleagues. I have enjoyed reading the success stories of IMG's and DO's on this thread. Let's celebrate those accomplishments and try to help one another achieve the same.

rahulazcom said:
I have enjoyed reading the success stories of IMG's and DO's on this thread. Let's celebrate those accomplishments and try to help one another achieve the same.

The thing that is probably strikes closest to the truth is that the choice of going Caribbean or DO is an individual decision because each case is different. Some people would not be happy with one; some would not be happy with the other. It really makes no difference which one you choose because the following rules apply to either:

1) The very top students in every class will get their choices in residency.

2) The middle students will get a residency, but it might not be their top choice.

3) The bottom students will have to work very hard, but if they pass the requirements will still be called "doctor" someday.

I've alway thought that a person does his/her best work in an environment in which they are happy. If you believe that OMT is a meaningless waste of time and you just can't stand the thought of not having "MD" behind your name, then DO is probably not for you. You'll never be happy and you'll spend way too many hours on SDN complaining about it. Likewise, if you don't like the challenges of the Caribbean experience, then that probably isn't your best choice. I've always said that you need to personally visit a school, meeting with the faculty, staff, and students to get the "feel" of the place before you ever make a decision. Websites and anonymous posters lie, but to be a good physician you have to be able to trust your instincts. If you have ANY doubts, go see it and judge for yourself which avenue is the best for you-- especially before you spend fifty grand on your first year.

1) The very top students in every class will get their choices in residency.

2) The middle students will get a residency, but it might not be their top choice.

3) The bottom students will have to work very hard, but if they pass the requirements will still be called "doctor" someday.

This is a great idiology to go by (and I champion optimism and positive thinking). We should always work hard and be optimistic. Unfortunately sometimes the wind blows against the sails. We all know what happened to the TITANIC that was once labled as "unsickable".

A famous Olympic gold medalist diver once said - I have a plan, and God has a plan, and God's plan is what I will end up following.

Sorry If I am being too "religious", or "preachy", but these couple of years changed me. I was once at the top of my game and "unsickable", but "someone" showed me who was "the boss"....the hard way.

Again sorry for ranting, and I appologize if I offended anyone by being "religious".

Good Luck to all, and God bless.

Leukocyte said:
A famous Olympic gold medalist diver once said - I have a plan, and God has a plan, and God's plan is what I will end up following.
Hmmm, interesting. Following this logic, all those that end in carib schools, Do schools, allopathic US schools, all do so because that is what the omniscious, omnipotent,omnipresent one ultimately has in store for us. Therefore we should rejoice our "chosen" paths, and take faith in the fact that irrespective of what we would have chosen for ourselves, ultimately God knows best. Ahhhhhhhhhhh. This religion thing ain't half bad. Kudos.

PainDr said:

Well, first of all, a pain fellowship and an anesthesia residency are not the same. I'm sure matching at top programs is difficult. I didn't say anything about that. What I have been told from several anesthesia residents/attendings is that if you want to go into anesthesia, you're pretty much guaranteed a spot somewhere. And I'm just speaking from personal experience. I know more than a few foreign-educated anesthesiologists.

BTW, bulletproof, all of them chose anesthesia and are quite happy. :)