Rotating Internship- Help Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hjl629

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I was one of the unfortunate people this year who didn't match into obgyn and my only option now is to take a family medicine internship and try again next year. Would a family medicine internship instead of a traditional year make any difference as far as matching into obgyn next year?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

I was one of the unfortunate people this year who didn't match into obgyn and my only option now is to take a family medicine internship and try again next year. Would a family medicine internship instead of a traditional year make any difference as far as matching into obgyn next year?

Thank you
You'd have to screw over the FM program by leaving early and having one less R2 resulting in possibly more call for your fellow residents in the program. The OB program wouldn't like this either. You're much better off doing a traditional program and if you match OB next year, great - if not, you can scramble into FM as a second year.

Unless you are ok with staying in FM, trying to find a traditional rotating internship that is not connected to any other residency is probably best. Then you should not have any trouble getting time off to interview since they know and expect you will want to find something else for the next year. A family med program could be angry if you ask for interview time off since you're not supposed to leave.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also didn't match into Ob/Gyn this past year. I am doing a Traditional rotating internship. Does anyone know any Ob/Gyn Programs that might consider this a plus (i.e. having an experienced intern)? I am trying to figure out where to reapply for this upcoming year so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

What was your application strategy last time? Did you apply to allopathic or osteopathic programs? How many? I think in most cases programs do appreciate that you have proven you were able to finish a year successfully - though in some cases it may not mean enough to be the make or break thing.