Rotation Bloopers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twospadz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any mistakes or funny situations anyone see or experience during their 3rd or 4th rotations?

Members don't see this ad.

On my first rotation (surgery), my fellow med student and I overheard our resident on the phone saying something about aspirating feces. My fellow med student was extremely naive and couldn't fathom a situation in which a human being might aspirate feces into their lungs, so I had to explain the existence of certain sexual practices to her. Anyway, it turns out the phone call was about a paracentesis where someone had gotten very dark fluid and was wondering if they perfed the bowel and aspirated feces.

Reactions: 6 users
I was with a cosmetic plastic surgeon and during the surgery, him and his nurses where making fun of a retired plastic surgeon who used to surround himself with "yes" nurses who would praise his work in orgasmic fashion. they were discussing how ridiculous it was. later on that week, he did a breast augmentation and he asked me how they looked. having developed rapport with him and the nurses i said, "oh my god doctor, that looks completely amazing, wow!" all in orgasmic fashion, and he looked at me (a male) and said, "yeah, when you say it like that, it is super creepy."

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My fellow med student was extremely naive and couldn't fathom a situation in which a human being might aspirate feces into their lungs, so I had to explain the existence of certain sexual practices to her.

Or if they were in the B or C position of a Human Centipede

Reactions: 1 users
Had a female med student while in MICU would put her stethoscope in her mouth as a nervous habit.

AFTER she had seen patients.....had not been cleaned off. We told her to stop it and alerted her to it. And she did it about 2 more times that day and other days. Not sure if she has gotten that under control yet.................

One of fellow male students while we were rounding on IM was told to check the patient's murmur out. He went up to the patient and went to listen and forgot to bring his stethoscope. So, he looked freaked out and I tossed him mine across the room and he listened to it. Nobody said a word. Even as a stethoscope went flying across the room.

We moved on to the next patient. He said thank you.

My first GYN exam:

I was on my second rotation as a MS3 at Virtua Hospital and was assigned to the clinic. The senior resident was allowing me to do part of the examination on a primigravid young female (which was not always possible as an inexperienced young male). I was meekly completing the bimanual portion of the examination when the patient inappropriately blurts, "This is how I got into this mess to start with!" Her husband was sitting next to her, and that was a moment of sheer embarassment. My resident was almost in tears.

Reactions: 7 users
Had a friend interviewing a female patient with multiple medical problems. His first interview with her she was alone in her room, and she told him that she had hepatitis.

Fast forward 2 hours later, my friend is writing his note and then realizes he didn't ask which type of hepatitis. He proceeds back to her room, walks in, and says, "So what type of hepatitis did you say you have?"

Voice from bathroom goes: "She has what???!!!"

Turns out fiance was in the room this time and had absolutely no idea about her hep. C.

Thankfully friend never got in any trouble somehow, and our attending said, "Well good thing no one will believe her because she is crazy anyway."

Reactions: 2 users
My first GYN exam:

I was on my second rotation as a MS3 at Virtua Hospital and was assigned to the clinic. The senior resident was allowing me to do part of the examination on a primigravid young female (which was not always possible as an inexperienced young male). I was meekly completing the bimanual portion of the examination when the patient inappropriately blurts, "This is how I got into this mess to start with!" Her husband was sitting next to her, and that was a moment of sheer embarassment. My resident was almost in tears.
IDK if we rotate there anymore. Ugh. That was not a good rotation.

Hospital medical telemetry unit: Medical student documented in his note,"Patient was asleep, but I was still able to perform a full examination." The attending called him out on that at the nurses' station, reading it aloud and making it sound extremely awkward.

Reactions: 3 users
This happened to me.

First time doing a pelvic exam on a real patient in the ED. I was walking through what I was supposed to do with the resident prior to me actually performing the exam. It was all going fine until she asked me how I would proceed to perform the bimanual exam. For some reason I thought that it meant putting "two fingers in the pink and one in the stink" and made a shockeresque pose with my finger and tried explaining I was attempting to check the pouch of douglass for fluid accumulation. The resident glanced at the nurse sitting nearby and burst out in laughter saying "I don't need to know what you do at home..." and proceeded to explain to me the correct technique of the bimanual. Fml.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hospital medical telemetry unit: Medical student documented in his note,"Patient was asleep, but I was still able to perform a full examination." The attending called him out on that at the nurses' station, reading it aloud and making it sound extremely awkward.
I'm not saying that you don't sometimes perform a sneak and peak at 5am, you just don't document a that it's a sneak and peak.

This happened to me.

First time doing a pelvic exam on a real patient in the ED. I was walking through what I was supposed to do with the resident prior to me actually performing the exam. It was all going fine until she asked me how I would proceed to perform the bimanual exam. For some reason I thought that it meant putting "two fingers in the pink and one in the stink" and made a shockeresque pose with my finger and tried explaining I was attempting to check the pouch of douglass for fluid accumulation. The resident glanced at the nurse sitting nearby and burst out in laughter saying "I don't need to know what you do at home..." and proceeded to explain to me the correct technique of the bimanual. Fml.

.... are you serious

Family medicine:
I had stayed up rather late with a friend. Was able to go into the clinic and make it through half the day until the exhaustion hit me in the middle of a patient interview. I nodded off several times but made it look like I was jotting notes down. I ended the interview thinking I had my information and thanking god the patient didn't catch wind I was falling asleep. I prepare to write my SOAP but look at what I had written down: scribbles. ALL scribbles. Like nonsense. I had drawn and ekg strip, zig zags, smily faces, etc. NOTHING about the patient. I immediately tossed it into HIPPA and asked my attending if he'd go in and talk to the patient because I wasn't sure what they had. He didn't look at my notes (blank sheet) and I went in with him. The patient was coming for medication refills.....

Reactions: 5 users
Lol

It was my first rotation of M3, and I was on inpatient Psych. We were generally pretty busy, but for the past 10 minutes it had been pretty quiet and we were just sitting around. To break the silence, I randomly blurted out "so how many times have you been sued?" to my attending, with whom I was working 1-on-1.

I got dinged in the "Professionalism" category of my evaluation that rotation.

Reactions: 8 users
It was my first rotation of M3, and I was on inpatient Psych. We were generally pretty busy, but for the past 10 minutes it had been pretty quiet and we were just sitting around. To break the silence, I randomly blurted out "so how many times have you been sued?" to my attending, with whom I was working 1-on-1.

I got dinged in the "Professionalism" category of my evaluation that rotation.

Oh god, this scares me because I'm a pretty awkward person and I can see myself saying something this stupid when I'm nervous.

Had a female med student while in MICU would put her stethoscope in her mouth as a nervous habit.

AFTER she had seen patients.....had not been cleaned off. We told her to stop it and alerted her to it. And she did it about 2 more times that day and other days. Not sure if she has gotten that under control yet.................
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1449759607.982596.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
I remember being on a 3rd year internal medicine rotation and it was a couple other students, 3 residents, and an attending doing rounds during the late morning. I remember being a bit off that day because I was thinking about the dreaded SEAS applications so I was a bit distracted to say the least. Usually I try to pay attention when it's another student's patient and not my own, but lets be real it doesn't always happen. So while were in the room discussing prognosis and treatment options with this older gentleman I am standing at the foot of the bed and everyone else is on the side of the bed. I was completely off in another planet and must have been giving the 1000 yard stare at this patient, and in the middle of a serious conversation he is having with the attending he says, "now hold on doc, look at this guy, he looks like he wants to just gobble me up for dinner". I was still zoning out at this time but as soon as everyone started laughing and looking at me I immediately became aware of what was going on and was pretty embarrassed by it. Then one of my buddies told me what happened afterwards and I couldn't stop laughing.