Rotation From Hell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kundun

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
everyone remembers that one rotation which they absolutely despise...as for myself, that would definitely be OB/GYN...I won't go into details about why I detest this rotation...instead, I'd like to learn from others on how they made their own rotation from hell into somewhat of a bareable learning experience

Members don't see this ad.

Mine was psychiatry. No beds in the locked ward available, so had one patient stalking another with scissors. Another peeing on any chair available. I tried to never leave the dry safety of the nurses' station.

Do more reading. Mark days off the calender. Hide in the library. Hide in the mess. Work harder on a hobbie during off hours.

Mine was Paediatrics.

Sick kids who couldn't understand why you were hurting them.

Having to hurt the kids.

PARENTS. Enough said.

An attending who thought we were all idiots and slackers because his last group through had been idiots and slackers.

Outpatient Paediatric clinics. "What ANOTHER case of OM?" :eek:

How did I survive? By spending most of my time in the NICU - where the attending and residents were great, where the parents were appropriately concerned and involved and I could sit down on rounds! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Please clarify. Are you talking about rotations in residency or medical school? Thank you.

Sincerely,
Christy

im4real,

Due to curiosity, I tried you're website on your signature and it didn't work.... You might want to double check....

Sorry I'm off topic here....

Originally posted by Popoy:
•im4real,

Due to curiosity, I tried you're website on your signature and it didn't work.... You might want to double check....

Sorry I'm off topic here....•

In her signature, she puts an inadvertant exclamation point after her link. If you copy and paste the text of the link without the exclamation point, you will see the correct page.

Eric

For me personally, its not the specific rotations themselves but when the doctors or residents/fellows don't care about teaching or have any courtesy for your time. Whether they leave you waiting around hospital or when they do their procedures and don't even tell you what their doing during them. Why the hell are they even in a teaching hospital? I hope I don't end up like that. I'd rather be pimped and scared into reading then to be standing around and ignored.

Hear, hear Doughboy! I've tried to console myself that these people are just too overwhelmed by their jobs that they can't share their thoughts. Another student suggested to be the "teachers" are too insecure in what they are doing. Either way, it sucks for us. The best thing to do is find someone who is willing to teach and stick with them.

I agree doughboy. However, in certain cases it takes a little initiative on your part to ask ALOT of questions almost boardering on being obnoxious or bothersome by the other person...I paid a ****load of money to get this education...I might as well get the most out of it as I can

I've been given the advice about being more proactive in my rotations before. Asking questions should be part of our job description but then you meet the doctors or residents who find that annoying and sometimes I think they might picture you as stupid. Most of the questions that you can ask can usually be looked up in your freetime so that looks bad on your part. Most of us on rotations I hope, want to learn the core material and get a good foundation and the "intelligent" questions are usually to ask for specifics and to show that you know what you're talking about. That helps only if you know all the core material. I'm one of those people who learn more from seeing things visually and being told whats going on rather then reading about it in a book and leaving it at that. For example, I learn more from discussing a patient in DKA with a resident while they are working them up and treating them rather then going to a book and reading what you're supposed to do. I think its easier for me to figure out what to do the next time I see a patient like. Kind of like that see one, do one, teach one thing rather than the going over the chart yourself, reading the orders and figuring out what they did and why after the fact. Do you think?

I'd like to hear some stories about everybody's own personal rotation from hell...this oughta be good!

Originally posted by EricCSU:
•In her signature, she puts an inadvertant exclamation point after her link. If you copy and paste the text of the link without the exclamation point, you will see the correct page.

Eric•

Oops! I just read these messages! So sorry for the delay in the response. You are certainly right, Eric, I put an exclamation point after the link which throws the whole url off! The link is http://pub37.ezboard.com/bmdspouses
I hope this helps! I am thrilled to announce that my husband is doing his first shift of moonlighting this evening. He's actually excited about it!!!

:D

Take care,
Christy

This is a little bit of an older topic, but I finally had a reason to post.

I am in my second rotation of my fourth year. The third year went by pretty good with no major bad times...but I just finished my first day of Ob/Gyn and I HAVE to say that this will be the WORST rotation of my med school life. Even after already doing a surgery rotation, I feel like I have no clue as to what is going on this time. I feel like an idiot during the various surgeries, etc etc. I am counting the days on the calender until this is over... :rolleyes:

Billie

glad to see I'm not the only one that feels this way...believe me, I too counted...I counted the seconds...lol