Rotation Locations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

copier

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there everyone

Just a quick question about clinical rotations. I know it may be strange to post this in the pre-med forum but I was wondering if different schools, and even DO vs MD, handle clinical rotations differently? Take for example a school like UNC vs Campbell (just picking schools I'm familiar with). Since UNC is a large academic teaching hospital, would all of the 3/4 year rotations be in and around Chapel Hill (minus away rotations)? And would the rotations at Campbell be in various cities across the state because there is not a dedicated hospital in Buies Creek? I'm trying to get a gauge for how different schools find these spots and not necessarily looking for an answer directly related to these schools. Just more wondering if larger state universities have more on-site rotations while smaller schools have them scattered about?

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

You can go on any schools website and look up rotation sites. That is going to give you much more information than asking on a forum. Every school does it differently. Some big state schools focus on a "state-wide campus" and do rotations all over the state, others don't. Same with private schools.

Yes different schools handle rotations differently. You need to ask each individual school. In my experience though even some large academic hospitals have their students rotate at smaller community hospitals, sometimes in different parts of the state than that school itself. But it really just depends on the school.