rotation sites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

giguerex35

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
could someone please explain what makes one school's rotation sites better than another school's sites. Is it just how many sites they have or something else. Would like to know, thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
could someone please explain what makes one school's rotation sites better than another school's sites. Is it just how many sites they have or something else. Would like to know, thanks
Quality, not quantity. Someone else can give a better answer

One thing I hear often here is whether the rotation is ward vs. preceptor base.

Most DO schools don't have their own hospitals, so students do rotations in nearby hospitals. How often do students get their first choice rotation sites? Do these rotation sites have their own residency program? Can you get good LORs from these rotation sites? If you want specialized elective rotation (e.g. plastic surgery), can schools connect you for it? Or do you have to hunt for them out of state?

Guess these are questions to mind when people refer to rotation site quality.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
“Are your students *guaranteed inpatient experiences* during 3rd year?” If they even hesitate in answering this, be very very wary of that program

Ask for current list and see if residencies are at those hospitals. The more the better for applications. But also you want some small hospital opportunists for more hands on. If most rotation sites are in bfe stay clear

Reactions: 2 users
Typically preceptor based clinical rotations in an outpatient setting are low quality. These people are not interested in teaching you. They just want you as a glorified MA to expedite their clinic and entertain patients instead of having them wait around in the lobby.

If a program has substantial affiliations with big hospitals (especially ones with residencies) or has its own hospital, then the chances of better quality rotations are present, but even then don't be surprised to just be doing scut work.

Clinical rotations can vary wildly and are school, service, resident and preceptor specific. Some wont be as good as others and you will have to adjust to each one. You could be on a good university service and have a complete dud as a resident.
Having said this, I have heard PDs on this site complain about grads from newer DO schools who never had an inpatient medicine rotation during their 3rd and 4th year. This is appalling and unacceptable. I would absolutely ask about inpatient / hospital rotations, are there residents there? Something to consider if you decide to attend a newer school.

Reactions: 1 users
Clinical rotations can vary wildly and are school, service, resident and preceptor specific. Some wont be as good as others and you will have to adjust to each one. You could be on a good university service and have a complete dud as a resident.
Having said this, I have heard PDs on this site complain about grads from newer DO schools who never had an inpatient medicine rotation during their 3rd and 4th year. This is appalling and unacceptable. I would absolutely ask about inpatient / hospital rotations, are there residents there? Something to consider if you decide to attend a newer school.

Not uncommon at the established DO schools too, which is absolutely a failing by the AOA.

All I know is I am super excited about my core rotation hospital. We got our official assignments a week ago, and I got my first choice. It’s a statutory teaching hospital with residencies in internal medicine, psychiatry, dermatology, general surgery, orthopedic surgery, and anesthesiology. They also have fellowships in cardiology, interventional cardiology, GI, rheumatology, and pulm/critical care. So I personally am very excited for rotations! I can’t wait!

Reactions: 4 users
All I know is I am super excited about my core rotation hospital. We got our official assignments a week ago, and I got my first choice. It’s a statutory teaching hospital with residencies in internal medicine, psychiatry, dermatology, general surgery, orthopedic surgery, and anesthesiology. They also have fellowships in cardiology, interventional cardiology, GI, rheumatology, and pulm/critical care. So I personally am very excited for rotations! I can’t wait!
Jakkpot

You got a very good rotation site. Be happy.