Rotations at Mercy in Toledo...what's it like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

evescadeceus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what rotations are like at Mercy Hospital in Toledo? The neighborhood is a disaster, but the hospital looks really nice. You don't hear as much about it as you do about Columbus and Dayton, either here on SDN or, from what I can gather, among OU students. Is there anyone from OU rotating up there who could share their perceptions? Also, how far away do you have to live for a reasonably safe neighborhood, and how does rent compare to Athens (where $500 buys quite a bit outside the center of town)?

Members don't see this ad.

I did my first IM rotation there as a third year. You function basically as an intern. You'll write admit notes (under supervision), orders (someone will cosign em), follow as many people as you can handle (I swung about 4, my buddy carried 7). Its insanely busy and has tons of pathology. Good rotation as far as exposure and independence is concerned. I can't comment on other services. The ER is a mad house.

Toledo is filthy and I couldn't wait to get the hell out of there. Oh, I lived in the hospital that month. Made it even worse.

I had the opportunity to work with a DO student and a lot of DO residents in OB/Gyn at St. Vincent Mercy in Toledo. They were all extremely helpful and good teachers. I really like the hospital and miss being there. Toledo's not that bad as long as you're expecting Toledo, lol, and not London. The neighborhood's not great, but there are other areas :) Enjoy the experience!