Rotations - Do you always have to leave the area?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gossmer

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to schools now and I'm trying to compare them. At an interview today, it came up that most of the students had to leave the area surrounding the school and do their rotations in other locations, sometimes in other states. Is this the norm? It's not in a rural location at all, so this struck me as odd.

Members don't see this ad.

gossmer said:
I'm applying to schools now and I'm trying to compare them. At an interview today, it came up that most of the students had to leave the area surrounding the school and do their rotations in other locations, sometimes in other states. Is this the norm? It's not in a rural location at all, so this struck me as odd.

I don't think so. And not at my school. Because it's a state school, you have to do one rotation in an "underserved" area. Some people go far out into the hinterlands of Ohio, but others do it in the inner city. The farthest I've had to go was a 30 minute drive to a community hospital for my OB rotation.

Some people do elective "away rotations" at other schools to enhance their chances for residency at that school, but that's something people choose to do.

i think it probably depends on the school. im a DO student, and i know most osteopathic schools send their students all over the place, mostly because they are typically located in rural areas and the local hospitals cannot always accomodate two entire classes of students at a time. but also schools that are located in big cities have to compete with other schools. for example, think of how many schools are in philly. hospitals can only take so many students at a time, so students tend to get farmed out. i know both jefferson and temple in philly send students out to pittsburgh. in other cases, if the school is located in a decent sized city with a few big hospitals, but its the only med school, the students usually stay right there, for example, university of rochester. my school practically begs its students to stay in the area, but who wants to stay in erie??