Rotations/IPPEs/ETC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah, so how flexible are these when it comes to scheduling? Are they all generally 9AM-5PM or do the preceptors work with you? Personally, I'd prefer it if my rotations were like from 11AM-7PM or even 10AM-6PM to avoid rush hour traffic.

Something I noticed also at the store I work at (a preceptor site for a local pharmacy school) is that sometimes the preceptor tells the student to go home like 2 hours early but the student refuses to for fear of the administrator from the school finding out?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, so how flexible are these when it comes to scheduling? Are they all generally 9AM-5PM or do the preceptors work with you? Personally, I'd prefer it if my rotations were like from 11AM-7PM or even 10AM-6PM to avoid rush hour traffic.

Something I noticed also at the store I work at (a preceptor site for a local pharmacy school) is that sometimes the preceptor tells the student to go home like 2 hours early but the student refuses to for fear of the administrator from the school finding out?

we usually send our rotating students home 2 hours early and sign off for the full amount of hours. probably depends on how busy your sites are.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd prefer it if my rotations were like from 11AM-7PM or even 10AM-6PM to avoid rush hour traffic.

Maybe for a community pharmacy rotation, but for all of the hospital rotations I've had it has always been at the latest 7:30 to 8:00am. Don't count on having flexible hours unless there are extraordinary circumstances (traffic doesn't count:smuggrin:).

It depends on the preceptors and you should not request anything. When I did my community rotation. First week, I was there from 11am-7pm, then second week was 8am-4pm, then third week was 2pm to 10pm. The preceptor told me he wanted me to see all shifts (minus the graveyard shift). Be there on time and be there whenever your preceptor wants you to be. For my hospital rotation, I got almost a week off. It was nice!!

For IPPE rotations - Preceptor = your boss for the day. Remember that your responsible for both your requirements at the pharmacy and at school. Just because you are left off of same at the pharmacy does not change those you have at school.

Most states have requirements that an intern cannot assume the duties of a pharmacist w/o a preceptor present. So you work what the preceptor works (typically - there are always exceptions).

I mentioned to my preceptor that rush hour was killing me - and she offered to not make me work the 9 to 530 shift anymore. Never ask outright though...

If you work 11-7, you'll miss some of the Mets games......

Most games start at 7PM. I'm fine with listening to them on the radio. The Mets actually win more games when I listen on the radio as opposed to watch on TV.

I miss Bob Murphy, summer just isn't the same without hearing his voice. Still, no complaints with Howie.

Personally, I'd prefer it if my rotations were like from 11AM-7PM or even 10AM-6PM to avoid rush hour traffic.

My hospital rotations started at 6AM...some I had to come at 4:30AM (ICU)

You wake up early/do whatever possible to provide patient care :smuggrin: