Rotations = Work?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by agranulocytosis, May 25, 2008.

1. agranulocytosis

Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Is it just me or do the rest of you find it irritating when other students consider clinicals real work? Geez, people are just really anxious to get that title, aren't they? I guess if you really consider it, we're being paid what, negative $50k per year give or take a few thousand, but that still doesn't change the fact that we still won't be considered doctors until 30.

Get off your fantasy train man, we're still students.

2. smq123

smq123 John William Waterhouse
    Administrator Physician SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Haven't been on rotations yet, have you? :rolleyes:

Yeah, we're still students. And no, we don't get paid.

It doesn't mean that you won't feel like you're "at work" when you do some of your rotations.

3. agranulocytosis

Fellow [Any Field]
    Nah, no rotations yet. :) I guess I'm trying to get at how people refer to clinicals in general as either work or rotations. I have no doubt it's gonna feel like work, but I'm not gonna go and tell my friends that I'm "off to work". I dunno, I guess it is just me.

4. leagueelbow

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    No I tell my friends I'm off to slavery.

You see, instead of work, we're useless spectators, who are judged every moment, and pay big money for the privilege of being belittled on a daily basis.

Slavery might actually be an understatement.

Torture?

Psychological erosion?

Spirit crushing education?

5. smq123

smq123 John William Waterhouse
    Administrator Physician SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    When I'm talking to my non-med school friends, I absolutely say "I'm at work now."

If I say "I'm on rotations now," they don't know what that means. So they think that it's okay to call me, or text me, whenever they feel like it. Or that I can just run out and grab lunch with them whenever.

If I say "I'm at work," then they know that it means not to call me unless it's a serious problem, and that I might not be able to run out and grab coffee whenever.

6. Tiger26

Tiger26 Senior Member

Attending Physician
    I'm gonna go with the term 'indentured servitude'

7. Bito42

Bito42 Member
    10+ Year Member

There's no easier way to refer to it. I call it 'going into the hospital' or 'going in', usually, but sometimes it's just easier/faster to refer say "going to work".

8. OnMyWayThere

OnMyWayThere OMS-III
    10+ Year Member

Students work too... And rotations are work. Few of my rotations were strictly doing H&Ps, dictating and getting outta there. It is the work experience half of med school. Just because you don't get paid doesn't mean you're not at work. What's the point of this thread? :confused:

9. agranulocytosis

Fellow [Any Field]
    I guess I'm trying to point out that there are some students who think that being in a hospital automatically makes them doctors and see if others feel just as irritated at it as me. For instance, these same students that I'm talking about referred to our 2nd-year shadowing outings at the local hospital as rotations, like they'll say "Which rotations did you do?" instead of "who did you shadow?". I guess it's just a matter of semantics, but when you hear some say "I'm going to work," that usually implies you have a job and earn an income doing what you're doing, right?

Meh, I guess no one feels the same way. I think I need a beer or something.

10. Kubed

Kubed Mostly Harmless
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    +1

I have more beer than food in my fridge right now to suppresses those kind of thoughts. I've found a kegging system helps me deal with the kind of people you're talking about (for me, it's people who say "I scored in the XX percentile on the boards.")

11. getunconcsious

getunconcsious Very tired PGY1
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes you have to do work on rotations. But you may not have to care--someone with a real MD will have to reapeat everything you do! So you can try hard and impress if this is something you'd like to do for your specialty and you need letters.

But if you're not so keen on this specialty and just looking to pass, I've got a little secret for you that will make the month(s) go twice as fast! Don't feel too guilty, just remember your H&P's, SOAPs, etc will all have to be repeated by the intern/resident/attending irregardless of whether they are brilliant and all inclusive or they are absolute toilet paper. So enjoy this homage to the Simpsons "Shary Bobbins" episode:

On rotations that you hate,
    You must resign yourself to fate.
    Don't pout,
    Don't sob,
    Just do a half-assed job…

If you cut every corner,
    It is really not so bad…
    Everybody does it,
    When they're tired or sad.
    If nobody notices,
    Then nobody gets mad.
    It's the American way!

The disgruntled MS3
    Who is forced to take OB…
    Vaginas really aren't his cup of tea.

And the privileged MS4
    Who doesn't care anymore
    The match is over,
    So his work is sub-par.

If you cut every corner,
    You'll have more time to play.
    It's the American way!

12. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    As mentioned, calling it "going to work" is a lot easier then getting into a long explanation to friends of what you are doing on a rotation. In fact, it's a lot like work -- you have to go in every morning, you will have multiple "bosses", you cannot leave when you want to, you take meals when people tell you it is okay, you will do scut work and get yelled at when you screw up or praised when you do something right, you have to wear a uniform (white coat and/or scrubs), you provide customer service to patients, and at times you will do the same job function as various hospital staff. In most cases it is not like shadowing -- you will get scolded if you are just standing there watching when there is something helpful you can do. Your "job" is to help the residents, whether it be by getting vitals, presenting patients to higher ups, putting in lines, removing sutures or staples, taking down bandages, doing DREs, walking patients to check their oxygen sats, or holding retractors or suction in the OR. That you pay for the privilege rather than get paid is just a semantic issue -- that will reverse itself in a couple of years. It is an apprenticeship system, you learn by seeing and doing. Think of it as akin to an unpaid internship at a corporation if you like -- those folks call it work too.

But yeah, when you get up at 4am on a Monday morning, it's not going to matter to you whether it is really a rotation or work.

13. doc20

5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    going to a hospital every single day from 6 am -4 pm , yeah sure its not work
    i refer to the lay people that i am doing my internship, which usually means student in training

14. AmoryBlaine

AmoryBlaine the last tycoon
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I call it work. Like L2D said it is a lot like a job... Things that aren't work are things that I can leave at will, this did not include my Medicine rotation.

I didn't do this so my friends would think I was saving lives a la Dr. Green on ER, mostly just to tell them where I was or where I was going.

Plus, again agreeing with L2D, when the alarm goes off at 3:45am and you don't have the option of turning it off it's hard not to view it as a job.

15. SoCuteMD

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Well, those of us currently on rotations will be doctors in 1-2 years. Not fully licensed doctors, but doctors nonetheless.

Also, if the nursing assistant who spends half her day gossiping with friends and filing her nails can say she's at "work" then I can too.

As a third year medical student, MOST (not all) of my rotations have involved doing similar work to the interns - granted for fewer hours each day and with more protected teaching time. It is work - and a lot more work than any of my "full time" jobs ever were.

16. SoCuteMD

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Please don't do that. With the advent of Grey's and all - everyone thinks internship means first year out of medical school. You're only confusing people, and possibly misrepresenting yourself to patients.

17. dilated

dilated Fought Law; Law Won
    10+ Year Member

Clearly saying "I shadowed Joe Smith" is a far more useful piece of information than "I was on ortho rotation". This is the case because you have memorized the name of every attending physician in every specialty at your school and your classmates would otherwise think you had skipped directly to MS4 when nobody was looking.

Medical students have a severe obsession with anybody who might be trying to "rise above their station". Are you wearing a long white coat?! Are those scrubs you're wearing beyond the maximal 5 meter radius outside the hospital?! omg are you claiming you are not a completely worthless bag of flesh who should genuflect every moment he is allowed to set foot on the sacred wards of medicine??? How DARE you! :laugh:

18. agranulocytosis

Fellow [Any Field]
    Truth be told, I would love to see my colleagues succeed and, if they happen to get to a certain place faster than me, fine, they worked hard enough to get there and I'd salute them. I just think it's funny when people haven't gotten past step 1 yet and already they're talking about things 3 or 4 steps ahead of them as if they are already there.

But I'll be damned if someone from my school got to wear a long coat and I'm still stuck with the short ******ed one. :D

19. Rendar5

15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I wore a long one once cause i had lost my short one. got enough stares that i bought another one really quickly. That said, I think the whole short vs long white coat is very stupid. I wear short so I don't get grief, no other reason. Hell, I'd wear no white coat if I could help it. That thing gets so dirty so easily.

20. noentiendo

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    i love that my school lets us wear long coats. it confuses everyone.

21. Acherona

Acherona Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    In europe the students wear long coats as do the doctors and pretty much everyone. And europeans are the ones who are supposed to be classist.