rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chap20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
during rotations how are you graded? and how did you guys prepare before the start of your rotations? I have no idea on what to expect, it shall be interesting.

Members don't see this ad.

during rotations how are you graded? and how did you guys prepare before the start of your rotations? I have no idea on what to expect, it shall be interesting.

It's a subjective grade; based on how the resident and/or attending feels that you performed. Depending on your school policy, it will also be graded partly on how you do on the shelf exam at the end of the rotation.

Rotation grading sucks in many ways. It's very subjective, it's frequently unfair, and it's a pain because sometimes the attending that you worked the MOST with is too busy to remember to fill out an evaluation for you.

I prepared for rotations by standing in front of a mirror and saying to myself, "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like me!" :D

(In all seriousness, I prepped by buying and skimming through Case Files before each rotation. Everyone has a different method, though. You'll find what works for you after your first two rotations or so.

And I prepared by tanking up on sleep. Sleep becomes your favorite hobby, especially while on surgery and OB.)

Rotation grades: 1/3 luck, 1/3 sucking up, 1/3 hard work

Members don't see this ad :)
I prepared for rotations by getting a haircut and buying a tie.

I prepped for each rotation by taking every shred of dignity I had, wrapping it around my presumed intelligence, and flushing it down the toilet :).

But seriously, haircut, washing clothes/scrubs, bought usually case files/pretest but rarely started reading or looking through it until a few days into the clerkship.

As far as grades go, it is such a crapshoot!

look at your syllabus? it depends on each rotation.

Book smarts are usually useless for one. You can be an average student and ace the rotation grades if you have a noticeable personality, seem participative, don't chicken out if a doctor asks you questions on rounds. You can answer something you know is wrong but if you look like a salesman they will forgive you.

This is really bad advice. :oops:

At most med schools (nearly all), there is an exam at the end of the rotation. At many schools, this exam grade counts for up to 50-60% of your rotation grade. It is a HUGE component of your 3rd year evaluations, and I would definitely not neglect my "book smarts!" :eek:

Even at my school, which is the exception in that your exam grade is separate from your rotation grade, your exam grade still shows up on your transcript. And when you apply for residency, residency directors will look at it; some may comment on it (favorably or not).

And a lot of attendings really don't like med students who "look like salesmen." They can misinterpret that as brown-nosing, and that'll torpedo your grade realllly fast.

Book smarts are usually useless for one.

:rolleyes:... My advice would be the opposite. Book smarts are what will set you apart. Anybody who is decently well adjusted and has some social skills can make a pretty good clinical grade if you work hard. That is a given. What will set you apart is your knowledge of the subject. The more you read and learn about the specialty, the better you will be able to answer questions and discuss topics with attendings and residents, which will show up in your eval. The real kicker is that in my experience, 80-90% of students will get clinical grades within a pretty tight range (for instance, most attendings will probably give somewhere between 87-93 no matter how well or lackluster you did unless you were truly awesome or undeniably crap). In order to make honors, you are going to have to do well on the shelf for most clerkships. Some clerkships will have minimum shelf scores to qualify for honors, but unless you have an attending who gives high clinical grades, you are probably going to need a pretty strong shelf performance no matter what. So my advice is to ignore that post and focus on your knowledge as well as being an enjoyable person to be around and a pretty hard worker.

Book smarts are usually useless for one. You can be an average student and ace the rotation grades if you have a noticeable personality, seem participative, don't chicken out if a doctor asks you questions on rounds. You can answer something you know is wrong but if you look like a salesman they will forgive you.

Charisma is a double adged sword in my opinion though (everyone at my hospital knows me just to give you an idea). If I screw up in something minor, half of the staff knows it with disgusting details before the day is over. It is useful to grub for grades.

I see some bragging mixed in with bad advice.

Charisma is a double adged sword in my opinion though (everyone at my hospital knows me just to give you an idea). If I screw up in something minor, half of the staff knows it with disgusting details before the day is over. It is useful to grub for grades.

That's a scary thought actually.