rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keiki

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know how rotations will work? do schools usually allow you to do them whereever you want? i'm currently in cali, but will be attending school out of state. ultimately i'd love to come back to cali to live, so it'd be nice if i could get experience out here.

also, do all states require pharm tech licenses? i know cali does and i just applied for that recently. i'm just wondering if i'll have to reapply in other places when i move out of state...

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Many schools allow you to do rotations "at home" or in another state. I don't know how it works exactly, but when I interviewed at MWU in Arizona, they were telling us that we could do our rotations in Illinois or Michigan or wherever we wanted basically. MI does not require a "tech license" but our interns have an intern license through the state board of pharmacy. It's easy to fill out, as opposed to the IL "tech license" which seems to want my life story, including every job I've had since I was 16 years old. It is very different from state to state. MWU in IL, on the other hand, has 1 class the 4th year, and it meets every 4-6 weeks. I would guess that you could go out of state for your rotations, but it seems like a pain if you have to come back every month for a class, and eventually for graduation and licensure. It's hard to live in two places at once. Am I supposed to stay at a hotel or something?! Guess I'll find out in Sept...

Jd

Although I go to school Vegas, I'll be doing my summer community pharmacy rotation at a Target in Los Angeles. I had to apply for a California Intern Pharmacist License earlier this year (if you'll be working in CA, apply for this license ASAP...it takes months to process). Some other students I know will be interning at pharmacies in Utah and Texas.

I'll be interning at the Target for six weeks, 8 hrs/day, then I'll have a short break of a couple of weeks duration...just long enough to get some hours working as an intern at one of the hospitals out here in Vegas.

Members don't see this ad :)
ah.. ic.. thanks for replying.

so when can you apply for a california intern license? as soon as you start classes?

i didnt think about how i might have classes scheduled in my last year.. that's a good point... because that WOULD suck if i had to fly back every month or so..

I don't have the link handy, but there is an application in .pdf format on the California Board of Pharmacy website. But, you'll need to be in school first, since the first page of the application requires a signature from the school dean's office to show that you are a currently enrolled pharmacy student.

A slightly related topic:
I need to work ~900 hours employed in a pharmacy outside that required by my curriculum (that's why I'm working at a hospital pharmacy), in order to sit for the CA pharmacy boards. That sucks. My curricular experiential rotations are good enough to sit for the NABPLEX, but nooooo, not for California! Time to find a preceptor nice enough to sign-off on my hours! ;)