• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

ryanbeckworth

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2001
Status (Visible)
I've had an MRI that shows a labral type II tear, supraspinatus partial tear, and infraspinatus tendonosis. I'd like to return to my weightlifting, and am probably going to have surgery for these issues. Anyone have advice or been there themselves?

lattimer13

good boy!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2002
Pacific NW
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
i had a similar problem 4 yrs ago and ended up going the arthroscopic route. i don't know the technical name for the procedure but the doc shaved down the partial tears in my supraspinatus and labrum and then used a heat probe to tighten up the ligaments.

the procedure went well and i think i'm back at 100%. it took 3 months of physical therapy and about a year until i was back to normal, even though they told me it would be 6 months. today my shoulder feels great and i can lift more than i did before, but i didn't really work out as much before as i do now.

best advice would be to make sure the orthopod that does your surgery has lots of experience with the procedure that you need. a buddy of mine had almost the same problem and had the procedure and it didn't turn out too well for him. he had to go under again. i was lucky in that the orthopod who fixed me was a team physician for a MLB team, took my insurance, and had been one of the pioneers of the surgery...so he claimed.

best of luck.

ryanbeckworth

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2001
Status (Visible)
Thanks for the reply.

I have a guy who's done a fellowship year in Sports Medicine, and specializes in shoulders. Not a professional athelete's doc, but I hope he's good enough.

I too want to get back to lifting, although this is tempered by the knowledge that the recovery period is fairly long.

Thanks again.

-RB

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.