Army ROTC + HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ltraptor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy y'all.

I am an Army ROTC Cadet interested in HPSP, and had a few questions.

1. To confirm, is the service requirement 4+4 (8) years of active duty service following residency and fellowship?

2. Is it possible to get into medical school, and defer matriculation for 2 years while serving AD in the regular army, then transitioning to medical school, and serving 6 years of active duty following residency?

R/

Members don't see this ad.

The after medical school commitment will be determined based on length of residency typically.

So for u you will owe time for ROTC + (4 year HPSP or length of residency if longer than 4 years) + fellowship (min 2 years). The clock starts once u r in a position when u r not training.
So if say doing OBGYN (4 year residency) and maternal fetal medicine (3 years) u will owe 4+4+3 and had earned 7 years of AD time, so at year 18 of AD service would be the very first time u could leave the military. The above is assumed u go straight through. In my humble opinion if your that close to 20 just go USUHS, more pay and a kick in of 4 years once u break 20 for retirement.

I don't think u could pay back a portion of ROTC time and then go to medical school. If it is even possible it is completely at the whip of the army and I personally am tired of living at the whim of the army. U might have to pay back all 4 years for ROTC, separate, re-sign for HPSP.

Does the length of residency include the internship year? I've read that orthopaedic surgery has a 1 year internship followed by a 4 year residency. So for a field like that, would the requirement be 4 yrs of AD post-residency? Meaning 8 years total post-residency, from 4 + 4 (ROTC + HPSP)?