HPSP after ROTC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewMedStudent11

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a recently graduated from undergrad with an Army ROTC scholarship. I have been offered a HPSP scholarship to attend medical school.

My undergraduate scholarship was for 4 years of active duty time after commissioning. I know that the HPSP scholarship is a one to one per year service obligation.

When I sign the HPSP contract and take it all four year of medical school, what will be my service obligation? My AMEDD recruiter is telling me that I would pay back my time in ROTC during residency (4 years) and then just owe four years of active duty for the HPSP. Is this correct?

Will I have to attend a military residency? How will that affect my service obligation.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I am a recently graduated from undergrad with an Army ROTC scholarship. I have been offered a HPSP scholarship to attend medical school.

My undergraduate scholarship was for 4 years of active duty time after commissioning. I know that the HPSP scholarship is a one to one per year service obligation.

When I sign the HPSP contract and take it all four year of medical school, what will be my service obligation? My AMEDD recruiter is telling me that I would pay back my time in ROTC during residency (4 years) and then just owe four years of active duty for the HPSP. Is this correct?

Will I have to attend a military residency? How will that affect my service obligation.
You will owe 8 years after residency. You do not pay back time for ROTC in residency, please tell your recruiter not to tell people that.

You will likely attend a military residency but not gaurunteed. Depends on your specialty and what the number of outservice spots they have is. With an eight year commitment residency isn’t likely to affect the payback time. (Which again is post residency unless you do gmo time)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You will owe 8 years after residency. You do not pay back time for ROTC in residency, please tell your recruiter not to tell people that.

You will likely attend a military residency but not gaurunteed. Depends on your specialty and what the number of putservice spots they have is. With an eight year commitment residency isn’t likely to affect the payback time. (Which is post residency)
Thank you.

Do you accrue time in service during residency toward retirement?

Does attending a civilian vs military residency affect your service obligation?

Thank you.

Do you accrue time in service during residency toward retirement?

Does attending a civilian vs military residency affect your service obligation?
1. Yes, military residency time counts fully toward active duty retirement. So does internship.
2. Depends. If you are deferred for a residency without support (paid only by the residency program, not the military) the repayment obligation is the same. A military residency adds a year of service obligation for every year of military residency beyond internship, however, each year of military residency repays a year of HPSP obligation. If you do a four year (PGY2-5) residency after a four year HPSP, you have zero additional repayment years owed at the end of residency (in your case, for 4 years HPSP and 4 years ROTC) so still eight years. The only other case I can think of is funded outservice for residency, which I have not heard of being offered at any time recently.