Rough First Semester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Miggs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a freshman this year at a top 50 university and my first semester was pretty rough, basically I'm going to get a C in engineering calc, so what are my chances of going to Harvard.

Members don't see this ad.

Joking, but seriously how will a C in calc Fall Semester Freshman year potentially affect me long term.

Joking, but seriously how will a C in calc Fall Semester Freshman year potentially affect me long term.

You can come back and tell us in 3 years. Obviously a C doesn't set the trend that will take you to med school, but if you learn something from the experience and improve in the classroom, engage in EC's that help you grow in a way that would lend itself to medicine, and score well on the MCAT, this grade will be a huge positive (and not something that tanked your chances).

Just focus on doing the best and most you can and gauge your chances when it's closer to time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it really isn't a career-ender. Plenty of people with a C or 2 get into medical school. You really, really need to work hard from here on out. Drop engineering if you have to and just put all of your heart to getting into medical school with a bio degree/whatever other degree interests you.

Don't worry too much about it but realize you can't do it again.

plenty of people with multiple C's have gotten into MD - see this thread

obviously it's better to get A's, but C(s) won't destroy your chances

Yea, I'm not even an engineer, I'm a chem major, but the university only offered Business Calc and Analytical Geometry and Calc 1 and my advisor put me in the latter. Probably going to switch to some kind of Bio major and make it a bit easier on myself.

A single C in your first semester will do no lasting damage. Just make sure your grades are consistently strong throughout your academic career...as you would need to do even if you got an A in this class.