routine question about mcat lifespan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gnomeski

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
my understanding is that most med schools consider MCAT scores from up to 3 years ago as valid... and that generally this means 3 years prior to your matriculation rather than application date?

im planning on taking the mcat this summer (before my senior year). i want to take a year off after i graduate, though i want to keep open the option of having 2 years off. if i chose 2 years, i would apply spring of 2012 instead of spring 2011, matriculating fall of 2013 instead of 2012.
So, before i hunker down and spend money studying for the mcat this summer, am i safe in assuming that my mcat score from this summer will still be valid regardless of whether i take 1 or 2 "years" off?

Members don't see this ad.

I am not 100% sure but I believe it means 3 years and after that you are required to re-test again. Thus your "score" is valid for three years then it expires; after that and you need to reprove yourself again on the 4th year. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong. I believe I am. Just trying to bring attention to this issue. :oops:

From when you apply, only scores from the previous 3 years are valid. So, not for matriculation but for when you submit your application. You should be fine even if you take 2 years off.