Rowan SOM vs PCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nerd300

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
Pros
  • Location: Urban and close to downtown Philadelphia. At the moment I do not own a car nor a driver's license, there living in the city/urban area with public transportation and walkable distances to places is important.
  • Tuition: $51,972 (2019-2020). I AM OOS.
  • Residency: I worked as a urology medical scribe and I enjoyed this field. One of the fields I am considering. 2 PCOM students usually marched into Rowan University Urology program for PGY1.
  • Family. I have a family member that live in DC, therefore it close to visit there for holidays. Rest of my fam are in MA.
  • Dual degree program: DO/MPH at either Temple University or Thomas Jefferson University.

Cons
  • Grading. I believe this school has letter grade
  • OMM teaching style: May be required to wear only sport bra (w/o a top) in OMM class. Not entirely confidence about it.

Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine
Pros
  • Dual degree program: DO/MPH with Rutgers University School of Public Health.
  • Family. New Jersey is in the NE, close to MA.
  • Curriculum: Organ-system based
  • Grade: PF
  • Residency: Urology Resident program,
  • Good wellness and assistance program that I did not get a PCOM. Student are given free UWorld to student of boards.
  • Research: Reputable research facility. Affiliated with a major university and It has its own teaching hospital ON SITE.

Cons
  • Location: located in a suburban setting. The nearest large city is Philadelphia. Working on getting that license. I have lived in the city all my life, and I did a program at UCONN Health. Did not enjoy the Surburban location.
  • OOS Tuition: $66,324

Overall: I already sent in my deposit to Rowan SOM as the was my first acceptance. Got into PCOM last week, wondering if it is worth it to send a non-refundable $250 there. Location is important to me due to transportation factor and I am an introvert. I do not have undergraduate loans and I am OOS for both schools.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Old thread that might help.

The consensus is to go Rowan if you'll get in-state tuition there, and if OOS for Rowan to go PCOM.