Rph pay rate in Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcuc2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone here can give me an idea how much rphs get paid in Texas (specifically DFW area). I currently work in retail for one of the chains in the Northeast but am moving to Texas and just wondering the difference in pay is. (since there's no income tax involved)

Also, how is the working environment in retail down south? I've heard retail isn't too bad compared to the Northeast/ New England area, since people are way nicer down south. ( or should I expect to be dealing with the same retail bs in texas lol)

Members don't see this ad.

Retail bs is gonna follow you no matter where you go. As for DFW, urban areas will probably be more like the northeast, whereas rural areas you'll deal with more good ole boys who love to bend the rules. The money depends on the company but Texas is defenitely a good place to live considering wage/cost of living ratio. CVS is paying around 120k for 84hr pay period in Dallas. Obviously more if you venture out a little farther to the small towns.

Received a job offer last year at a pediatric hospital in the area for about $48/hr. Not great but not unusual for hospitals in the area from what friends tell me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if anyone here can give me an idea how much rphs get paid in Texas (specifically DFW area). I currently work in retail for one of the chains in the Northeast but am moving to Texas and just wondering the difference in pay is. (since there's no income tax involved)

Also, how is the working environment in retail down south? I've heard retail isn't too bad compared to the Northeast/ New England area, since people are way nicer down south. ( or should I expect to be dealing with the same retail bs in texas lol)

I am a P4 about to graduate, and I have a lot of friends that plan to work in the DFW area. If you are asking about retail specifically, the major chains seem to be offering around 120k or so a year from what I have heard from friends. Echoing an earlier post, if you are willing to go out a little bit into smaller towns somewhat close to DFW, they oftentimes will pay more. I ended up picking a job close to a good sized town as opposed to the large city I currently live in because they pay 15k more a year.

I would say the pay here overall is pretty good.....it doesn't pay crazy rates like Cali, but it seems to be in line with NE region pay without the state tax. Something to note though is that if you plan on buying a home, property taxes are really high here/serve as somewhat of a state tax here. As long as you aren't getting a 500k+ home though, it is still less tax than a state tax.

Retail is retail......you will have nice people and you will have total dinguses, wherever you go. DFW is a nice area overall, but you also will get a lot of entitled rich white folk that expect to be pampered.

Pay should be higher than that. I'm a respiratory therapist, now they offer 35/hr full time, 42/hr PRN. This for 2 year degree with 5+ yrs experience.

Pay should be higher than that. I'm a respiratory therapist, now they offer 35/hr full time, 42/hr PRN. This for 2 year degree with 5+ yrs experience.

Hospital is always a bit lower (around $50/hr). Retail pay in the upper $50s and into the $60s/hr if you go more rural or manager is still a pretty significant difference. Around $50 is just starting out/hospital pay floor.

Texas reminds me of a quote from Full Metal Jacket. I posted it below.

Texas! Only steers and queers come from Texas, Private Cowboy! And you don't look much like a steer to me, so that kinda narrows it down!

Reactions: 1 user
this makes me wonder why the heck did many of us go to school for 8 years? I completely respect our RT's at my hospital - a good RT is worth their weight in gold - I actually thought you had more schooling than 2 years...