RRA Certification from PMSR-36 Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iVTECdailyy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Having trouble finding information on this topic. Is it possible to sit for RRA boards and apply for certification if a DPM is a graduate from a PMSR-36 program? Does the applicant have to be a graduate from PMSR/RRA-36 to be eligible to apply for RRA certification?

Of course the numbers / logs, etc. have to be up to par, but just wondering if PMSR-36 graduates can even gain eligibility.

Thanks for your answers.

Members don't see this ad.

PMSR-36 program does not exist. Under the current residency models, only residents completing the PMSR/RRA can sit for the RRA certification exam. Residents completing the PMSR program will not be eligible for the RRA certification exam. Both PMSR and PMSR/RRA require 36 months (3 years) to complete (with some programs requiring 48 months to complete). Under the older residency model, only residents that completed the PMS-36 or PSR-24/PSR-36 can sit for the RRA certification exam. Residents that completed the PMS-24, PSR-12, POR/PSR-12, PPMR/PSR-12, or RPR/PSR-12 are not eligible for RRA certification exam. Hopefully, that answers your question.

Thanks for your response. I was under the impression that a PMSR could sit for RRA certification if they met the required logs. I thought that they could not sit at the same time as the forefoot exam, but were able to the following year. Correct me if I am wrong?

Members don't see this ad :)
If a resident was to complete the PMSR residency program, that person will NOT be eligible to sit for the RRA certification exam, REGARDLESS of the number of rearfoot / ankle cases that they logged during their PMSR residency training. There are some PMSR residency programs, where the residents do log significant amount of rearfoot / ankle numbers, but those PMSR residents are NOT eligible for the RRA certification exam. Only residents completing the PMSR/RRA residency program will be eligible to sit for the RRA certification exam. Both the PMSR and PMSR/RRA require a minimum of 36 months (3 years) to complete. Residents that complete the PMSR/RRA residency program may sit for both ABFAS Foot Surgery and RRA Surgery exams at the same time.

Another podiatric absurdity. You have more training and cases than your colleagues but your residency didn't get certified before you started, so we'll limit your already limited license and scope of practice. But since you did all those cases we'll certify your program for the residents that come after you... So they can tell the hospital credentials committee that you don't have the credentials to do what they do in the same hospital.
Great system.

Reactions: 2 users
What tangible benefit is there to RRA certification anyway? Other than being able to overcome scope of practice limitations in NY and TN? Yes, it's a nice feather in your cap, but you can still get certified by ABFAS without the RRA component. Are there insurance panels that look favorably upon this? Hospitals? I'm sure it looks good on a job application, but by the time you get certified, you're probably established in your practice and not looking to move on.

What tangible benefit is there to RRA certification anyway? Other than being able to overcome scope of practice limitations in NY and TN? Yes, it's a nice feather in your cap, but you can still get certified by ABFAS without the RRA component. Are there insurance panels that look favorably upon this? Hospitals? I'm sure it looks good on a job application, but by the time you get certified, you're probably established in your practice and not looking to move on.
Two things to consider off the top of my head:
1. Unfortunately, Adam may be wrong. Limiting your certification prospects can bite you in the keaster. You may be in practice 10 years and then a new hospital opens in your area and may limit staffing or privileges based on your board certification level.
2. You may for unforeseen reasons need to relocate or seek employment with another group. This may mean merging in with a larger DPM group or joining a hospital or multispecialty group. The politics of ACOs and other healthcare policy reforms are driving this right now. Those groups can and do exclude based on RRA status.
If you can avail yourself to the RRA certification, you should do it. If you have your own practice it may just be an overpriced marketing ploy (Patients won't know to look for it unless you point it out), but it is also insurance on a future with multiple possibilities.

Reactions: 1 user