RREMS question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jayhiller21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Incoming M-1 here and was intrigued by reading about the RREMS research opportunity in PM&R. However, after reading the sample proposals offered on the website, I feel as though I won't be prepared to participate in it (even after completing my first year). The proposals all mention conducting animal surgeries and various DNA analysis techniques that I have had no experience in. If anyone has any experience with this program, I would love to hear about it. I have some research experience, but not wet lab experience. Is it possible for someone without this kind of training to apply/participate in this research program between M1 and M2 years? Do students work extensively with approved mentors to develop their research proposals?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I did RREMS! Keep in mind that displayed proposals are only those awarded the "best paper" award. The studies med students conduct vary and many are not as impressive as animal surgeries. Keep in mind that your mentor will know the capabilities of an MS1 student. You should def apply as there is a low cost/benefit!

Yes, your mentor has to sign off on your proposal. You will work at length to construct this before submission.

I did RREMS! Keep in mind that displayed proposals are only those awarded the "best paper" award. The studies med students conduct vary and many are not as impressive as animal surgeries. Keep in mind that your mentor will know the capabilities of an MS1 student. You should def apply as there is a low cost/benefit!

Yes, your mentor has to sign off on your proposal. You will work at length to construct this before submission.
Thanks for the reply! Is the program competitive? Also, if your mentor is at another school (which im assuming is often the case), is there still significant communication?