Rude/disrespectful co-workers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

klein82887

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm an post-first year intern over summer right now and I've found some technicians started to get incredibly defensive because I'm working in the pharmacy with them. It's like they feel that I think they I'm better than them or something to that sort. Just wondering if anyone out there has had any similar experience. I find it quite offensive.
 
I've noticed instances where techs have issues with interns regarding this. A lot of times, it's the person who is the "career pharmacy tech" who has issues with taking orders from a younger person. One of the pharmacists I used to work with, had an intern make the schedules and shift workload plans. The techs didn't like that.
 
I've noticed instances where techs have issues with interns regarding this. A lot of times, it's the person who is the "career pharmacy tech" who has issues with taking orders from a younger person. One of the pharmacists I used to work with, had an intern make the schedules and shift workload plans. The techs didn't like that.

The student techs are so annoying... Give me somebody who'll do their job, not somebody who knows the half-a** patho behind drugs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The student techs are so annoying... Give me somebody who'll do their job, not somebody who knows the half-a** patho behind drugs.

Most of the student techs/interns I've come across (both retail and hospital) are usually harder workers than most career techs. I find about 75% of career techs to be very lazy and to have chips on their shoulders.
 
I feel like they may be confusing the respect I'd like as a person for respect demanded as someone higher than them on the foodchain, which is entirely not the case. I only want the same respect I give.
 
I encountered this also as an intern and had many issues. But i learned that being humble and modest and respectful will go a long way. You have to remember that the technicians have been there for a long time and have put their time in and all of a sudden, some 22 year old comes in and has a lot more say in 1 week versus their 15 years. I understand now, be humble and modest...
 
I encountered this also as an intern and had many issues. But i learned that being humble and modest and respectful will go a long way. You have to remember that the technicians have been there for a long time and have put their time in and all of a sudden, some 22 year old comes in and has a lot more say in 1 week versus their 15 years. I understand now, be humble and modest...

Not only that but the student intern more often than not makes more than the career tech. I believe it shouldn't be that way and that the techs should be making more imo.
 
Most of the student techs/interns I've come across (both retail and hospital) are usually harder workers than most career techs. I find about 75% of career techs to be very lazy and to have chips on their shoulders.

I have noticed the same. It makes sense in a way. Students tend to be young, ambitious, eager to learn, etc. Most people who have been at their jobs for years and years tend to get lazy/complacent.

I feel like they may be confusing the respect I'd like as a person for respect demanded as someone higher than them on the foodchain, which is entirely not the case. I only want the same respect I give.

The important thing is how you behave, not how others treat you. You cannot control how others treat you, but you can control how much you let it affect you. Just do you job, treat others with respect, and over time most people will come to respect you. If they don't, oh well.
 
Not only that but the student intern more often than not makes more than the career tech. I believe it shouldn't be that way and that the techs should be making more imo.

Technicians are vital to the business. We pay our techs very well. better than most chains.
 
I never had problem with techs when I were doing retail rotation. I think it is the way that we look, act, or talk that make people feel inferior. So I acted like I was there to learn and took tech advice during my work. Thing worked well and smoothly. They liked me a lot too.
 
I never had problem with techs when I were doing retail rotation. I think it is the way that we look, act, or talk that make people feel inferior. So I acted like I was there to learn and took tech advice during my work. Thing worked well and smoothly. They liked me a lot too.

Same thing. During rotations I didn't have a problem. I had my job (doctor calls, managing the QR, counseling patients, OTC) to do and they had their job.

I encountered some problems in non-rotation situations. Like, I'd leave the drop off station/production to go counsel, compound, or reconstitute and techs don't want to jump on drop off or something like that.
 
Same thing. During rotations I didn't have a problem. I had my job (doctor calls, managing the QR, counseling patients, OTC) to do and they had their job.

I encountered some problems in non-rotation situations. Like, I'd leave the drop off station/production to go counsel, compound, or reconstitute and techs don't want to jump on drop off or something like that.

I mostly agree with this. If the pharmacist does not explicitly spell out what the intern's role is (and they almost never do - grrrr), we do not fit into the standard workflow. I want to make Dr. calls, council, etc, whereas the techs expect me to just work whatever station I happen to be at. It just depends on the pharmacist, techs, intern, etc.

Most techs I have worked with have been pretty great, but every once in a while I work with some who expect me to just work production or whatever - um, no thanks, I am here to learn not be an overpaid tech. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge believer in teamwork, but I am not going to go an entire shift and not do at least some professional functions. Sometimes I will go make an OTC recommendation and come back to have a tech griping about how I abandoned drop off or whatever - um, excuse me do you complain when the pharmacist makes a recommendation? It's what I am here to do.

Which brings me to a huge pet peeve of mine - pharmacist who do not control the pharmacy. What is up with that? :laugh:
 
I never had problem with techs when I were doing retail rotation. I think it is the way that we look, act, or talk that make people feel inferior. So I acted like I was there to learn and took tech advice during my work. Thing worked well and smoothly. They liked me a lot too.

I agree completely - if you are (or at least act) humble and show some respect, most techs (and for that matter, everyone) will respond in a positive manner. After working with dozens of techs, I have only had a few that I would not want to work with again. Most are like anyone else - they want to go in, do there job, and get out. I am more than happy to help with that. :laugh:

On a side note, techs are a wealth of practical information when it comes to insurance, filling scripts quickly, laws, etc. I have gotten so much great advice from techs on a wide range of topics..."you" would be a foul to ignore/disrespect techs.
 
Most of the student techs/interns I've come across (both retail and hospital) are usually harder workers than most career techs. I find about 75% of career techs to be very lazy and to have chips on their shoulders.

Well I've only encountered student techs in the hospital. So that may be why... But they've sucked. Maybe it's just this area or something...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm an post-first year intern over summer right now and I've found some technicians started to get incredibly defensive because I'm working in the pharmacy with them. It's like they feel that I think they I'm better than them or something to that sort. Just wondering if anyone out there has had any similar experience. I find it quite offensive.

Don't be afraid to smack them around a little bit every now and then... keeps them under control and sets the tone for your future rph days.

Oh, and verbally berating them at every possible chance is also a good way to deal with them.
 
Don't be afraid to smack them around a little bit every now and then... keeps them under control and sets the tone for your future rph days.

Oh, and verbally berating them at every possible chance is also a good way to deal with them.

Now I know im sensing sarcasm here! At least i hope im sensing sarcasm.:laugh: